Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter

N

Nick CB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
This is in beginners because it’s probably a daft question, but does a 10 year old T5 have an inverter? If so is it a special shaped plug thingy And where is it?

This is in beginners because it’s probably a daft question, but does a 10 year old T5 have an inverter? If so is it a special shaped plug thingy And where is it?
If you have one, which you should, it is on the lower B pillar behind the front passenger seat and the Kitchen Unit. It is limited to 150 watts output at 230v.

Only, if it is less than 150W there should be a label on the hair dryer.

Devices being used via an inverter are not particularly efficient. It is better to use a 240v mains supply if available.

If you are on electric hook up, would it work better? Sorry new to this, getting van on Monday, just trying to get ideas of what can/ cannot do.

Yes, using hook up will allow a much greater range to be used as it in the UK is normally a 16A supply so about 3500W. actually a little more. However I understand that VW recommend a maximum of 2500W but am happy to be corrected by those more experienced than me.

Power via the inverter is not efficient and unless you have a solar panel or will charge via the engine when stationary will use up battery power, which you may prefer to use for other things such as fridge, USB devices etc.

No need to be sorry, everyone starts somewhere and if you don't know, then you don't know. I'm fairly new myself and I have found the forum to be an interesting and knowledgeable place with lots of helpful people.

I suggest that you do a forum search and use Power outage as the keywords. This will bring up a whole host of information for you.

Edit: If on hook-up remember but the inverter socket is still limited to 150W - For hook up use the 3 pin socket. If the inverter socket is like mine then you will need a 3 pin converter.

If you are on electric hook up, would it work better? Sorry new to this, getting van on Monday, just trying to get ideas of what can/ cannot do.
The Inverter won’t work any better as it runs off the 12 v Leisure Batteries but the mains socket will give full mains power , but can be limited on some campsites to 6, 10 or 13 amps as at home .
6 amp supply - maximum 1000 watts
10 amp supply - maximum 2000 watts
13 amp supply - maximum 2500 watts
16 amp supply - maximum 3000 watts
Some leeway has to be given for the current requirement of the On Board mains charger for the Leisure Batteries which will be working when on a Campsite Mains supply.