Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ireland or France

chrissieB

chrissieB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Firstly as a newbie I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right place.
I’m in a dilemma?…….
Ireland or France ..14 degrees and rain or 21 degrees and sunshine?
Have a week booked off next week and planned to head to Galway and do 6 days south on the Atlantic highway, booked the ferry for Sunday morning….so excited to have the first full week away since buying our Cali last year.
The weather forecast over the last few days has changed for Ireland from relatively dry with a fair amount of sunshine to pretty much soggy every day next week!!
So we are thinking we could take the ferry to Cherbourg and spend the time driving down to La Rochelle? So would appreciate any tips on which route to take ? I had a loosely planned itinerary for Ireland but have idea of the best route for France.

Get some good waterproofs and stick with original plan, Ireland is amazing and you will have the place to yourself.
I spent a month over there April 2019 great WAW is like NC500 on steroids and so quiet (apart from ring of Kerry can be busy).

Rather biased as based in Ireland but the Wild Atlantic way is stunning no matter what the weather. I really got to appreciate it last year in Lockdown and thats what triggered ordering the Cali, starting up by Donegal, Bundoran, Rossnowlagh beach down to Sligo (Mullagmore) and to Clare (Lahinch, Doolin) is absolutely stunning and it doesnt rain all the time ;)

That said, your right, there is bad weather due for some of next week!

I love France but have seen so much of it,

I have only seen a little of Ireland, I found it an amazing place to be and as @4x4 joker said, you will have the place to yourself most of the time.

Decent waterproofs, find a decent pub or three, nestle down under the duvet at night, feel truly at home with nature and also, just think, a few more miles away from Putin.

Thanks for your advice I’m sure your all right, I have read so much about the Wild Atlantic Way over the last few weeks , the drive we planned from Connemara down to West Cork looks amazing it’s said to be one of the best ever coastal drives.
I was however expecting a more balanced response with at least someone saying head for the Sunshine , so unless the forecast gets a lot worse we’ll be heading off to Ireland on Sunday Morning.
Its going to be Whisky and Guinness week and not Wine!!

You won't regret going to the West of Ireland. Stunning locations throughout and relatively quiet. I simply love County Clare. I've had some great times in Lahinch.

Thanks for your advice I’m sure your all right, I have read so much about the Wild Atlantic Way over the last few weeks , the drive we planned from Connemara down to West Cork looks amazing it’s said to be one of the best ever coastal drives.
I was however expecting a more balanced response with at least someone saying head for the Sunshine , so unless the forecast gets a lot worse we’ll be heading off to Ireland on Sunday Morning.
Its going to be Whisky and Guinness week and not Wine!!
We did the WAW a couple if years ago, in April, and it was great. Low point was the Ring of Kerry - highly over rated. The Ring of Beara (something like that) was SO much better.

I really wish Stena did dog-friendly cabins to Ireland. Got a young dog with massive separation anxiety so leaving him in the van is not going to be ok.

I'd be off to Ireland in a shot, particularly as its just along the A55 for me.

We toured the WAW before lockdown and had A brilliant time and we’re very lucky with the weather. However this past week we have travelled from Cherbourg to Mont St Michel, onto Noirmoutier and now sat in a site in Ars-en-re on the Il de Re a stones throw from La Rochelle. Weather has been excellent 18 to 23 daytimes but chilly in the evenings. We decided to travel light no awning or toilet tent We’ve gone for more expensive camping with pitches that have their own toilet, shower and kitchen facilities We've even had a gas plancha at one site plancha for our sole use. Love Ireland but love the sun more so for us France win

I'm French but have been living in Dublin for 5 years. One thing to know about Ireland is that there is no correlation of any kind between the weather forecast and the actual weather.

It's not an exaggeration. I've been paying attention to the weather forecast in the last few months (not sure why - just found it interesting for some reason). I can confidently say that there is no link between the weather forecast and the weather you actually get. None whatsoever. The weather forecast here is just for the craic.

So don't base any decision based on the weather forecast in Ireland.

Franc is brilliant too mind you. But since you've already researched Ireland, go for it and plan France for the next trip.

It was meant to rain all week. Here's what this afternoon looked like at the back of our house:

IMG_3011.jpgA few points to note:
  • May / June is defo the best time to come do the WAW. The light is gorgeous. The nature looks amazing. And the tourists aren't there yet. The WAW in high season can get really stressful and unpleasant. You either have someone constantly up your ass trying to get you to go faster. Or you keep meeting cars and campers going the other way on cliff-side roads that aren't wide enough for two cars to pass each other.
  • It's very rare in Ireland for it to rain all day. It does happen but it's a once-every-few-months thing. When it rains, it's for a short period of time - not all day.
  • It's very common in Ireland to experience the weather of all 4 seasons in one day. Most days are like this - cycling through winter, spring, summer, autumn and back again. This is what gives you this dramatic light of the sun piercing through dark rain clouds that makes Ireland looks so stunning in photographs (and in real life). Always dress in layers so that you peel off clothing when it gets too hot and put them back on when it gets freezing. And always have a waterproof with you.

I’m in a dilemma?…….
Have a week booked off next week and planned to head to Galway and do 6 days south on the Atlantic highway, booked the ferry for Sunday morning….so excited to have the first full week away since buying our Cali last year.
The weather forecast over the last few days has changed for Ireland from relatively dry with a fair amount of sunshine to pretty much soggy every day next week!!
So we are thinking we could take the ferry to Cherbourg and spend the time driving down to La Rochelle? So would appreciate any tips on which route to take ? I had a loosely planned itinerary for Ireland but have idea of the best route for France.
We went to Cork and Ring of Kerry the first week of Easter. The forecast was terrible, we took wellingtons and waterproofs. It was glorious sun most of the time, barely had any rain.
That's Ireland I guess. Can go either way.

As with Wales and Scotland, if camping next to the coast, you might want to consider camping in a spot sheltered from the wind and/or with the van pointing away from the coast.

Last edited:
I'm French but have been living in Dublin for 5 years. One thing to know about Ireland is that there is no correlation of any kind between the weather forecast and the actual weather.

It's not an exaggeration. I've been paying attention to the weather forecast in the last few months (not sure why - just found it interesting for some reason). I can confidently say that there is no link between the weather forecast and the weather you actually get. None whatsoever. The weather forecast here is just for the craic.

So don't base any decision based on the weather forecast in Ireland.

Franc is brilliant too mind you. But since you've already researched Ireland, go for it and plan France for the next trip.

It was meant to rain all week. Here's what this afternoon looked like at the back of our house:

View attachment 92912A few points to note:
  • May / June is defo the best time to come do the WAW. The light is gorgeous. The nature looks amazing. And the tourists aren't there yet. The WAW in high season can get really stressful and unpleasant. You either have someone constantly up your ass trying to get you to go faster. Or you keep meeting cars and campers going the other way on cliff-side roads that aren't wide enough for two cars to pass each other.
  • It's very rare in Ireland for it to rain all day. It does happen but it's a once-every-few-months thing. When it rains, it's for a short period of time - not all day.
  • It's very common in Ireland to experience the weather of all 4 seasons in one day. Most days are like this - cycling through winter, spring, summer, autumn and back again. This is what gives you this dramatic light of the sun piercing through dark rain clouds that makes Ireland looks so stunning in photographs (and in real life). Always dress in layers so that you peel off clothing when it gets too hot and put them back on when it gets freezing. And always have a waterproof with you.

Hello,

I think the choice visiting Ireland or France is a bit preferring fish or beef.

The countries are different and have their own charm and advantages. It is not only the weather, but the landscape, people, food in general the atmosphere.

The west of Ireland has its own charm and with help of the Wild Atlantic Way it is rather accessible. I used to love warm days (25 to 30 degrees), but living over 20 years in Ireland I prefer 15 degrees and a light breeze, topped up with the occasional shower. This kind of weather certainly influences the landscape, their richness and colours.

On the other hand, if you have a craving for sunshine and French countryside then Ireland obviously is not the best choice, so France it is.

At the end I am so happy that we have choices and can decide to travel in Europe where ever we want to go. I see this as a privilege and so looking forward for our trip through France, Andorra and Spain.

Whatever you decide, have a good time.

Regards,
Eberhard

Thanks to all for the advice and tips, much appreciated. We are sticking with the original plan and heading off to Ireland prepared for expected showers so any sunshine will be a bonus. Will be setting off on Sunday morning for Fishguard and then looking to drive a couple of hours on route to Galway and find a place to stay overnight.
Monday we will be in Connemara pitching up and spending a night at Clifden Eco site which looks amazing. From here its heading south along the WAW with stops planned at Doolin, Dingle and somewhere along the Ring of Kerry.
First full week away in the van so cant wait....

At the end I am so happy that we have choices and can decide to travel in Europe where ever we want to go. I see this as a privilege and so looking forward for our trip through France, Andorra and Spain.
Eberhard, you are so right.
One of the great things about being a van owner is the flexibility to go anywhere or change plans at the last minute... not forgetting were also lucky and privileged to live in a part of the world that allows us this freedom.

France! great food, weather, people, loads of free (or cheap) Aires to stay on whilst travelling, and you will feel like you’re abroad ‘Proper!’

I do like Ireland but really it’s just like the rest of the UK but wetter! :D

France every time…!!!
Last time I went Ireland, 2000 for the Master of Surfing event at Bundoran.
Had a great time, but the weather was very Scottish. Great when the Ay shines, but rubbish when it’s not.
I would hit France in summer and give Eire a try in something like late September/early October…

I’m in a dilemma?…….
Dunno if you have the time or inclination to skim through my blog but this may help?

Green Venice is nice and off the beaten track, Nantes has some really cool giant robot machines and I’ll de Re very pleasant

I really wish Stena did dog-friendly cabins to Ireland. Got a young dog with massive separation anxiety so leaving him in the van is not going to be ok.

I'd be off to Ireland in a shot, particularly as its just along the A55 for me.
Yes it’s really annoying that in 2022 the majority of ferry operators still fail to offer dog friendly cabins. Leaving a dog in a vehicle on a ferry is far from ideal, the noise is dreadful.

I’m in a dilemma?…….
We're currently in Fouras south of la rochelle weathers is great warmevenings, cool mornings and hot days , sandyish beach slow pace of life.Great - ferry portsmouth st.malo out o/n cabin returning sunday o/n caen portsmouth . Down side is the limited amount of alcohol you can bring back!
ps croissants are great!

So we stayed with going to Ireland, arrived at Lough Rea Athlone tonight…. absolutely stunning site.
The only downside is it took a 4 hour drive and not 3 as planned due to a problem with Sat Nav.
Apart from throwing a few wobbles taking us off route we have no volume on Sat nav or Radio? Has anyone had any exotic this

So we stayed with going to Ireland, arrived at Lough Rea Athlone tonight…. absolutely stunning site.
The only downside is it took a 4 hour drive and not 3 as planned due to a problem with Sat Nav.
Apart from throwing a few wobbles taking us off route we have no volume on Sat nav or Radio? Has anyone had any exotic this

Back