Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Irritating squeak in new Ocean

Wind Witch

Wind Witch

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Everyone

Can anyone identify possible reasons for a squeak please?

We picked up our new California Ocean yesterday and took it for a good drive. At around/above 40 mph we get a really annoying squeaky rattle on the passenger side. I'm in the passenger seat and it sounds to me as if it is coming from my B pillar. My husband says that from the driving seat it sounds like it's coming from the inside of my passenger seat. It sounds like metal/glass scraping together, along with a tint of rigging slapping against a mast (for the nautically-minded).

I've checked that all the windows and cupboard doors are securely shut and that all shelves are in place.

We have yet to start filling the van with "stuff" and want to track this down before it drives my poor husband MAD (he hates rattles and had to suffer a squeak in our current car for years, poor chap).

Does this sound like anything someone has suffered from themselves (or their Cali at least ;) )?

Cheers, Wind Witch

Sink/hob lid? Mine used to produce a metallic rattle due to the forward bumper going walkabout until I superglued it in place.

As pineweasel says the hob cover can do that, although it is normally fairly obvious that it's the source.

There are three tiny, clear "bubble" bumpers on the edge that should stop that but a quick check is to close the hob lid with a tea towel or similar wedged in it and see if it goes away.

1. Don't put up with it for longer than a weak. Apparently VW are supposed to look at squeaks and rattles and fix but only in the first 4 weeks from delivery.
2. Sounds get transmitted easily a. Raise roof and check the upstairs bed. Anything under the mattress? Bendy light is secured?
3. If you have an Awning fitted, wind out about 0.5 metre and rewind in firmly, not too hard as the mechanism has plastic gears. Even though it is on the opposite side sound can be transmitted.
4. Kitchen Blind. Put down - squeak still present?

1. Don't put up with it for longer than a weak. Apparently VW are supposed to look at squeaks and rattles and fix but only in the first 4 weeks from delivery.
2. Sounds get transmitted easily a. Raise roof and check the upstairs bed. Anything under the mattress? Bendy light is secured?
3. If you have an Awning fitted, wind out about 0.5 metre and rewind in firmly, not too hard as the mechanism has plastic gears. Even though it is on the opposite side sound can be transmitted.
4. Kitchen Blind. Put down - squeak still present?

Thanks for the various suggestions (and the four-week timescale, WG). I'll do some more investigating after work tomorrow.

Did this get sorted?

Not yet, Shaun. I spent the last weekend trying to find the more obvious culprits - no luck. We did wonder if it might be something in the roof struts... Have just read a suggestion that it might be trim between the B pillar and the kitchen work surface - agin will need to wait for the weekend to chase this idea up. I will post again early next week. Whatever it is, it's bl**dy annoying :rage

Not yet, Shaun. I spent the last weekend trying to find the more obvious culprits - no luck. We did wonder if it might be something in the roof struts... Have just read a suggestion that it might be trim between the B pillar and the kitchen work surface - agin will need to wait for the weekend to chase this idea up. I will post again early next week. Whatever it is, it's bl**dy annoying :rage

How embarrassing :embarrased found out by accident today that it was the fridge lid after all. Turns out that what I thought was a latched lid wasn't - it actually needs a good wallop to really get the latch to sit firmly.

How embarrassing :embarrased found out by accident today that it was the fridge lid after all. Turns out that what I thought was a latched lid wasn't - it actually needs a good wallop to really get the latch to sit firmly.
Ours was the same when new, after a while the seals squash down a bit and it's easier to close. It's difficult to pinpoint these things and we all go through the same thing :D

Back