Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is bigger better? Please help

Blubus

Blubus

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have had our Ocean for 28 months now, we have driven 16,200 miles and spent 79 nights away and every moment has been different and exciting. But we keep looking at bigger moterhomes!

We use our Cali all year round and are under the belief that having a bigger van (Hymer 544 or 584) would make our times away more comfortable having a fixed bed, toilet, not worrying about putting away a wet roof, woken up due to strong wind etc.

So I am interested in hearing from those that have moved from a Cali to something larger and what you learned perhaps you came back to your senses.

Please help!

i have both a coachbuilt camper and a beach i do like the comfort of the coachbuilt but having said that its small enough to take into town

We had a 584 last year and it was great, especially in autumn and winter.
Hang all your wet clothes up in the shower area, the heating system
is really good.
You´ve just reminded me, i need to look for another one. :thumb

After four Calis I moved to a Hymercar last month. My Cali wasn’t really a daily driver, though I found that I could use the Hymer to run around in because it’s not a huge amount bigger. The reason we changed was for the toilet and shower.

I agonise over this on average once a month:

I then ask myself the following questions:

Would I need another car in the drive as the Cali is the daily driver second car?

Could I have done everything that I did on my last trip? This time it was width of road and height barrier that I said no to.

I have stuff needing seeing to in the habitation area (I am useless at DIY): would I need to take it back to the point of origin (supplying dealer) rather than the thousands of VW dealers scattered throughout the world?

The day I can give myself a satisfactory answer to all above will be the day I order something bigger.

i have both a coachbuilt camper and a beach i do like the comfort of the coachbuilt but having said that its small enough to take into town

This would be the ideal situation a Hymer 544 and the Ocean, if only I could make this work :)

After four Calis I moved to a Hymercar last month. My Cali wasn’t really a daily driver, though I found that I could use the Hymer to run around in because it’s not a huge amount bigger. The reason we changed was for the toilet and shower.

I looked at the Hymer Grand Canyon S at Becks on Saturday. Which one did you go for?

I agonise over this on average once a month:

I then ask myself the following questions:

Would I need another car in the drive as the Cali is the daily driver second car?

Could I have done everything that I did on my last trip? This time it was width of road and height barrier that I said no to.

I have stuff needing seeing to in the habitation area (I am useless at DIY): would I need to take it back to the point of origin (supplying dealer) rather than the thousands of VW dealers scattered throughout the world?

The day I can give myself a satisfactory answer to all above will be the day I order something bigger.

It is nice to know others are having similar thoughts. We would need to buy a second car as like you our Cali is my daily car. The motorhome would need to be kept at another location as we do not have parking for a 6m. If only the California 600 did not have that horrible flat cap roof.

We think it will depend mostly on the type of trips you want to make or the type of holiday you want to have.

For us, our ideal type of trip/holiday would probably ask for a Landcruiser (no, never a Landrover again...) with roof tent. But, like you with your Cali, we found that too uncomfortable a way of travelling.
For us, the rugged up 4M Cali was the ideal next step: a lot more comfortable, and not too much of a compromise on what we can do with it - thus far we have been pleasantly surprised by its capabilities!

We have used a larger camper, but were not happy with it: The Multivan (the Cali's base type) is sooo much more nice a drive than any Fiat (or like) panelvan (the base of most other motorhomes) and the larger camper posed too many limits on what we wanted to do.

As far as the presence of a fixed toilet and shower goes: a recent NKC-poll (the dutch camper club) showed that most people who have it actually never or hardly ever use it... Some even state: the shower is now a nice cupboard! o_O

Last edited:
We think it will depend mostly on the type of trips you want to make or the type of holiday you want to have.

For us, our ideal type of trip/holiday would probably ask for a Landcruiser (no, never a Landrover again...) with roof tent. But, like you with your Cali, we found that too uncomfortable a way of travelling.
For us, the rugged up 4M Cali was the ideal next step: a lot more comfortable, and not too much of a compromise on what we can do with it - thus far we have been pleasantly surprised at its capabilities!

We have used a larger camper, but were not happy with it: The Multivan (the Cali's base type) is sooo much more nice a drive than any Fiat (or like) panelvan (the base of most other motorhomes) and the larger camper posed too many limits on what we wanted to do.

As far as the presence of a fixed toilet and shower goes: a recent NKC-poll (the dutch camper club) showed that most people who have it actually never or hardly ever use it... Some even state: the shower is now a nice cupboard! o_O
We go away for up to a month at a time and the only gripe I have with the Cali is the loo. Ben g of a certain age it does get used and, as time passes, no matter how much it has been used it is getting heavier and heavier to move.
Our van is our only vehicle so changing to a Hymer and bowling down to Tesco’s in it is just not going to work. Not everyday anyway. So, we have been wondering a bout a small caravan, maybe an Eriba or the Swift. We'll see.

We have had our Ocean for 28 months now, we have driven 16,200 miles and spent 79 nights away and every moment has been different and exciting. But we keep looking at bigger moterhomes!

We use our Cali all year round and are under the belief that having a bigger van (Hymer 544 or 584) would make our times away more comfortable having a fixed bed, toilet, not worrying about putting away a wet roof, woken up due to strong wind etc.

So I am interested in hearing from those that have moved from a Cali to something larger and what you learned perhaps you came back to your senses.

Please help!

Hire a coach built and try the shower on a humid warm day, the van turns into a sauna with condensation everywhere. Nothing on wheels is exactly quite during a gale and why worry about putting away a wet roof, no evidence of any rot on here.
The roof bed behaves just like a fixed bed once on site and of course the California is as cool as ice, nothing else comes close.

I went for a white 4x4 that they had, I think that they are all the same on the inside. What did you think of it, did you go for a drive?

View attachment 38282

I am undecided on the Grand Canyon. I like the Mercedes base but I do not think there is enough space for lounging on a wet day (week) when visiting Skye. The build quality of the Grand Canyon is great as you would expect from hymer. I am thinking at the moment Cali or Small Hermen the Hymer

Becks has the new Adria Supreme - nice roof but the shower depite being a clever design is still tiny. It is interested reading that the shower is never used by most.

We go away for up to a month at a time and the only gripe I have with the Cali is the loo. Ben g of a certain age it does get used and, as time passes, no matter how much it has been used it is getting heavier and heavier to move.
Our van is our only vehicle so changing to a Hymer and bowling down to Tesco’s in it is just not going to work. Not everyday anyway. So, we have been wondering a bout a small caravan, maybe an Eriba or the Swift. We'll see.

The caravan route has also crossed our minds but It seems like a lot of setup, I love being ready for coffee making, hand washing all on the go not just when parked up.

My view is that IF the Cali is going to wait around waiting for high days and holidays, then you'd be better with a bigger van doing the waiting.
Whenever I say this I get the odd comment about the ease of the Cali on narrow lanes but I think that's from a bunch of folks who like the coolness of the VW scene and smaller vans. They wouldn't be seen dead in a white whale.

Those of us more concerned with holiday comfort would go bigger.

So why have I got a Cali (indeed come down from a LWB, high-top Cali with a loo) ? Because my Ocean is my only vehicle and I'm therefore prepared to accept the compromises that come when camping in a small van.

They wouldn't be seen dead in a white whale.
That’s another very valid argument! Or the spots they trend to gather in.... Aaaarghh! :Nailbiting Only in our worst nightmares! :D

gallery.jpg

imageresizer

Last edited:
I am currently having this dilemma☹️Do I upgrade the Cali for a newer one or go for a bigger van? I liked the Hymercar (and westfalia Columbus) but only the fiat based models are in my price range. I drive a Peugeot van at work and the interior is exactly the same as the Fiats. I am amazed by how many bits have fallen off or fallen apart on these 66 plate vehicles. The worst of it is that pretty much all of the vans (about 10 in total) have splits in the plastic screen on the instrument binnacle and the rear door hinges have cracked. In short they are a bit crap! I think I better hire one first because if they drive and sound the same (bloody loud and very rattly) I won’t be buying one.

I know what you mean. I was very keen on a Murvi, which are brilliant, but... they were largely built n Fiats which have had a bad name quality wise for years.. so no Murvi and much later, I got a Cali, lovely quality but, as I have said earlier no bog. But it is worth the compromise.

Only each individual can decide what is best for their use. I think GrannyJen has the perfect set up with a California and Eriba caravan. Best of both worlds with space and facilities and a perfect everyday vehicle. Too many scenic parking areas are being fitted with height barriers and parking bays seem to be getting smaller. One thing which does make me laugh is watching occupiers of static vans on sites using the site shower and loo facilities rather than their own private suite.
Still if unhappy try a larger outfit as you can always downsize to the perfect van;)

Only each individual can decide what is best for their use. I think GrannyJen has the perfect set up with a California and Eriba caravan. Best of both worlds with space and facilities and a perfect everyday vehicle. Too many scenic parking areas are being fitted with height barriers and parking bays seem to be getting smaller. One thing which does make me laugh is watching occupiers of static vans on sites using the site shower and loo facilities rather than their own private suite.
Still if unhappy try a larger outfit as you can always downsize to the perfect van;)
Use the shower once or twice and then have to move the vehicle to fill the tank and empty the waste unless on a full service pitch.
California, Bog in a Bag and toilet tent for emergencies or night time. Stroll to the shower block. Better, scenic pitches. On our last 2 sites only a tent or a California could fit on the lakeside / riverside pitches.

we have done both
The Cali, the BIG motor home then smaller panel van motor home
I definitely think the panel van is more practical and easier to live with all year round. we stayed in it in the alps for a week snowboarding 2 weeks in around France in the summer.we have also done the same in the California it just takes more patience...

I always miss owning a California or vw camper and ended up buying another Cali.
There just more me .not sure the Mrs would agree .at times I miss the Westfalia Columbus but at times I don’t.
One thing I will say is Big motor homes just arnt camping ...smaller vans are

We hired a small motorhome ,never used the shower or loo.
Looked at the murvi & ford terrier conversion. Then we hired a VW California.
The rest is history.
My best accessory is the boginabag.
Love using my ebike & public transport to get around.
Also the Cali is very quick to get away from a campsite during the day,we chuck our bedding etc in the quecha pop tent.

Might be better to hire before you buy. Husband really didn’t like driving the motorhome.

Last edited:
We very rarely used the shower when we had larger motor homes. And only ever used the loo for number ones. It was nice to have some privacy though!

Strangely, I always think the Cali feels more spacious than the motorhomes we had. It’s nice to have the floor space when the seats are turned round, most motor homes have very little floor space, just a corridor. Also, you can get almost 360 degree view out of the Cali, instead of small windows with washrooms etc in the way. It all adds up to the feeling of space.

As plenty of others have suggested the thing to do is hire what you think you need to try. We considered a larger van when switching to our Ocean from a T5 Jerba Tiree. However it's a second car for us, we live in the Lakes and use it there and spend a lot of time in Scotland. We can take it just about everywhere we can take the car so it's worth that flexibility.

Back