Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is California Beach 204 PS DSG 4Motion a good idea?

Tuco

Tuco

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
I ordered Californie Beach with a 204, DSG and 4Motion engine but I'm wondering if it's a good choice. 4 Motion must definitely stay because of the places we go to, but reading reviews on local forums I'm not convinced of DSG and the 204 hp engine. I plan to ride California every day to work, take children and wonder about the durability and cost of DSG exploration and double turbine? Is it a good choice or decide to have a much slower engine of 150 km and manual transmission? I can still make the correction!

If you are in uk I didn’t think you could order 4 motion beach only maybe in Europe. I personally think 204 is a rather large expectation from a 2.0 diesel only time will tell.
Only my view.
All the best in your decision.

150 engine is simpler and more economical if you don’t need/want the extra grunt.
I’d personally stick with the DSG, suits the Cali. I’ve ran a DSG for the last 14 years. First off on a Touran and then the Cali. Never had an issue.

I run a 204 DSG 4 Motion Ocean

Good luck

Mike

I ordered Californie Beach with a 204, DSG and 4Motion engine but I'm wondering if it's a good choice. 4 Motion must definitely stay because of the places we go to, but reading reviews on local forums I'm not convinced of DSG and the 204 hp engine. I plan to ride California every day to work, take children and wonder about the durability and cost of DSG exploration and double turbine? Is it a good choice or decide to have a much slower engine of 150 km and manual transmission? I can still make the correction!

If you are asking for a non-partisan opinion from Forum members then forget it. You won’t get it I’m afraid. Those who have the 150 or 204 engine will support their case come what may. After all if they had made the wrong choice, an expensive one, they are hardly going to admit it.
Likewise DSG or Manual gearbox.
All I will say is the 204 will be more expensive servicing or repairing.
DSG has been around a long time and rarely figures with problems on this and other VW forums. Manual gearbox, they have clutches and DMF flywheels which wear and have to be replaced at some point.
The choice is yours but don’t expect any unbiased opinions.

I spec 204 DSG's for my own vans and have no problem with 4 motion on a 204 dsg either.
Perhaps my opinion can be seen as unbiased??

My normal day looks like that in the morning I deliver my children to school and then I travel to my work 60 km away. Calm route max 90 km/h. I can't test cars before I buy and I do not know what to expect? I read that the double turbine is problematic, it drinks oil and the service is very expensive. The 150 HP engine is a proven design but with DSG and 4Motion it's probably a scary mule ?!

If you are asking for a non-partisan opinion from Forum members then forget it. You won’t get it I’m afraid. Those who have the 150 or 204 engine will support their case come what may. After all if they had made the wrong choice, an expensive one, they are hardly going to admit it.
Likewise DSG or Manual gearbox.
All I will say is the 204 will be more expensive servicing or repairing.
DSG has been around a long time and rarely figures with problems on this and other VW forums. Manual gearbox, they have clutches and DMF flywheels which wear and have to be replaced at some point.
The choice is yours but don’t expect any unbiased opinions.
I've got the 150 but would rather have the 204 :)

My normal day looks like that in the morning I deliver my children to school and then I travel to my work 60 km away. Calm route max 90 km/h. I can't test cars before I buy and I do not know what to expect? I read that the double turbine is problematic, it drinks oil and the service is very expensive. The 150 HP engine is a proven design but with DSG and 4Motion it's probably a scary mule ?!
Well I don’t know where you read about the oil consumption and problems with the double turbine. Not something I’ve seen mentioned on the U.K. forums.

For me it would be a 204 DSG 4motion.
If it was a new vehicle and the cost didn´t matter.

In Poland, a lot of cars are imported from abroad with a high mileage and the opinions of users are different. It is difficult to find an objective assessment. The most popular are the 140 and 150 PS engines, but 15 seconds to the hundred discourages me to such a solution.

I ordered Californie Beach with a 204, DSG and 4Motion engine but I'm wondering if it's a good choice. 4 Motion

I would have asked before I ordered, so I could have ordered with confidence buying a Cali is not like making an an error buying a pair of socks

The cost matters but I would like the car to be as comfortable as possible in everyday use. I do not know how to accelerate Cali with 150 PS, DSG and 4Motion engines with family on board?

The cost matters but I would like the car to be as comfortable as possible in everyday use. I do not know how to accelerate Cali with 150 PS, DSG and 4Motion engines with family on board?
Slower than the 204.

I love this forum :bananadance2

I see this as relatively simple

150 = cheaper, slower
204 = more expensive, less slower

It is all relative to what you are used to really. We drove the 150 manual and 150 DSG and it's okay up to about 45mph but after that it doesn't really add speed with any vigour. The 204 does have extra shove but is quite a bit more thirsty because of it.

Can't comment on 4motion, but manual vs DSG - are you sure you can order a manual? In the UK there are no manual options other than the most basic diesel or the petrols.

Actually - that is a point - I assume we're talking 150 TDI vs 204 TDI? (rather than TSI Petrol)?

I see this as relatively simple

150 = cheaper, slower
204 = more expensive, less slower

It is all relative to what you are used to really. We drove the 150 manual and 150 DSG and it's okay up to about 45mph but after that it doesn't really add speed with any vigour. The 204 does have extra shove but is quite a bit more thirsty because of it.

Can't comment on 4motion, but manual vs DSG - are you sure you can order a manual? In the UK there are no manual options other than the most basic diesel or the petrols.

Actually - that is a point - I assume we're talking 150 TDI vs 204 TDI? (rather than TSI Petrol)?
The majority of transporters manage with 84 hp and 5 gears yet many are to be found a foot off my boot "encouraging" me to get out of the way, I presume a lot are chipped but as mentioned above most Cali users are more than happy with 150 hp.

In Poland, you can order Cali in any configuration. Only the 204 PS engine can be only with DSG with 4Motion or without. According to the manual, the engine with 204 hp, DSG and 4Motion accelerates in about 10 seconds to 100 km / h and 150 PS około 13.5 sekune. The difference is big. Currently, my SUV accelerates in the same way as Cali 204 and according to me it is OK but the feeling in a large car is completely different.

I know that 204 PS will be more comfortable but I am talking about your experience of failure and operation. I found a comprehensive topic about the corrosion of the roof but I did not find anything special about the failure of 204 hp engines.

I know that 204 PS will be more comfortable but I am talking about your experience of failure and operation. I found a comprehensive topic about the corrosion of the roof but I did not find anything special about the failure of 204 hp engines.

I had huge problems with my old 2010 180 and oil use. Lots of people suffered with 2010 -2012 engines in particular. IF I had the option of a 204 on a Beach in the UK I would have thought long and hard because of that experience. It's the same basic engine architecture.

On my old 180 maintenance was a little harder (for the workshop) because of the turbo locations so more jobs became "front off" - I didn't care as I wasn't doing the work and it only had a minor impact on the cost. Didn't care about mpg.

Upsides - more power, downsides - more turbos to go wrong, but that's likely a problem for the next owner?

How often do you go 0-60? In gear and kickdown 30-50, 50-70 etc are more relevant. The 204 is quicker.The reason you're not reading anything about failures on the 204 is that the engine is still relatively "new", but most people and reports suggest they're reliable. Have a look on the T5 and T6 forums.

I take it you cant test drive one? If you're likely to have buyers regret (you sound like you will!) just buy a 204 and enjoy it. To put it in context, I get out of a C63 in to a 150 beach and the Beach doesn't feel slow or bother me; but I don't see it as anything other than what it is ( a 2 ton bus). Maybe with the weight of 4 motion as well it would tip me to the 204.

Oh and on the DSG, it's like Marmite. I wouldn't buy a VW T5/6 without one.

Hello - we have a 204 DSG 4WD and I use it daily for short runs and long runs - I would say get it - in my opinion there is only just enough power in it and it needs 4 wheels to get traction - and as for DSG - you need it, with such limited power gear shifts are frequent - I think it would be a much better car with a 3.0 engine in it - it’s great fun nonetheless Tim IMG_0049.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So. After 44000 km on my T6 beach . My opinions. I last minute changed cfg from 150hp to 204hp. So glad making this decision. Now for example I travel a lot for skiing through Austria and Germany. For long trips extra power is great. If you can afford this engine definitely highly recommended.
And DSG at the end I decided for manual transmission with ACC. It is nice to have full control with clutch in hard conditions. DSG is also great. It is more about personal preferences. If California have “real” auto transmission like amarok or crafter I definitely go for auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally ordered the 204 PS, DSG (with the option to change gears under the steering wheel) and 4Motion. Let the will of heaven happen;)
Thank you for your help and your suggestions!

"with the option to change gears under the steering wheel"

Not sure what this means?

Back