Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it possible to retrofit 3 seat bench in place of 2 in Ocean?

Tim Moreman

Tim Moreman

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Looking to buy a California Ocean but have 3 kids..... Has anyone done the above with a VW or third party 3 seat bench seat?

Thanks!

you would have to take the kitchen out
you could replace the passanger seat with a double seat or an extra seat in front of bench not sure how they work with bed up
--------- or buy a Beach

The two seater is not full width but goes up to the wardrobe, etc
The Beach or Caravelle three seater is full width and will not fit.
You can put a single seat in the rails between front and rear (lots get sold on this forum) making the Ocean a 5-seater.

This - hence my question about a third party seat. You see them in other third-party conversions with kitchen but....

Tim

This - hence my question about a third party seat. You see them in other third-party conversions with kitchen but....

Tim
Tim, I have also tried to arrange 6 usable seats in an Ocean without success, you can just about put two single seats on the three rails but it reduces leg room one one side of the bench that would only be acceptable for a small baby.

Looking to buy a California Ocean but have 3 kids..... Has anyone done the above with a VW or third party 3 seat bench seat?

Thanks!

Just get a van with three seat rails & fit the single 5th seat. Its a pain taking it in & out as the bed can't be made up with it in the van.

A Beach would be the way to go .

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind comments.. the Mrs wants the extras in the oceans. Personally I like the Ocean. So no one has come across a retrofit option?

You can not get a three seat bench with three seatbelt in a ocean , guess thats why nobody ever tryed...
A extra floorrail and a fifth seat as mentiont above is the only way to get five people in a ocean. That is if still availeble on the T6 , it was so on a T5.

Thanks - the consensus seems to be the 5th seat option does not really work. To heavy and cumbersome to lift in and out while on a trip.

Thanks - the consensus seems to be the 5th seat option does not really work. To heavy and cumbersome to lift in and out while on a trip.
Not a California but the T6 conversion by Volksleisure has a 3 seat rear bench. Sometimes it has to be a compromise but better to get a good working solution so you can enjoy the van.

I looked for a 3rd seat, as I didn't really want the bench. The only * light* single seat I saw was on Roy Wood Transits conversions. They do VW too, maybe give Steve Wood a call?

I decided not to get a seat in the back in the end, so don't know about testing or compliance tho.

Thanks!
If you are set on buying a California for your growing family, then there is only one practical answer in your case. You need a Beach!

The Beach comes with a range of seat configurations to accomodate up to seven adults whereas the SE/Ocean will only seat four. I beleive that you can still specify an extra swivelling captains seat on the non 4motion Ocean models but forget that option as IMO it would only end up being a right PITA. These seats are very heavy and it would always be in the way. Every picnic and night away you would end up cursing it as it would severely compromise the use of the interior for its intended camper van use so don't go there.

If you don't envisage ever taking anyone else other than your family in your van then the best option would be a five seater Beach. This option has the three seater rear bench which has Isofix on the two outer seats only but has proper three point inertia seat belts on all three seat positions. The bench seat can be locked into positions anywhere from the very back (still leaves a small boot space) to right at the front behind the front seats (still leaves a little leg room for littleuns only). In this latter position the cargo area/boot is truely vast and just right for a range or practical activities.

This version is very practical as it has so much space inside that you could fit an after market removable kitchen pod to suit your personal needs and a small portable compressor fridge/freezer with some of the cash you have saved by buying a Beach. There are lots of kitchen pod designs out there so I am sure your wife will find something she likes. Unlike the SE/Ocean, when you aren't camping it can be removed. Yes, you have to sort out some other form of storage for camping but there are plenty on threads/posts on here with peoples very imaginative storage solutions.

If you are likely to carry extra passengers then you can order the same but with one or two extra swivelling captains seats. These seats further add to the Beach's versatility. However, you will need somewhere to store these heavy, bulky items when not in the van and a simple trolley to move them. Believe me, you will need one.

If you do decide to go down the Beach route then I would strongly recommend the following factory options:

1. The Eberspacher diesel parking heater with remote control. Believe me you definately need this wonderful item. It is the number one option and if you don't specify anything else order this one, it's brilliant. It will be very useful on frosty school runs as well as camping trips and picnics etc in the winter. You can activate it whilst indoors having your breaky and by the time you leave the house the windows are defrosted and the interior is toasty warm. It will make your Beach a proper 365 day a year camper van.

2. The VW Mutiflex Board and VW Comfort Mattress. You will need these to convert the bench into a very large flat double bed. Some can find the VW mattress a little on the firm side so you may also need a mattress topper.

3. Three Zone Climatronic Aircon. Its a big van with lots of windows so this option is very useful in controlling the internal temperature during the hot summer days and dehumidifying the van during camping trips and during the winter months.

4. Thule Awning. It isn't a proper Cali without one. Simples.
There is nothing nicer than sitting in the shade under your extended awning on a hot day sipping a cold drink. Just look out for the envious looks you will get. Its also useful as a dry cooking area on a drizzly day.
With the awning you can also buy the excellent Comfortz awning sides (sold throught the club shop), which quickly and easily turn the extended awning into a very useful extra porch room when camping. You can store lots of stuff out there and also cook in it as well.

Accessories

5. Waterproof seat and mattress covers. (Sold through the club shop). The Beach only comes with cloth seats which IMO are unsuitable for a leisure vehicle that's likely to have muddy kids and dogs rattling around inside. I would also suggest that you avoid the light interior and go for the darker one for the same reason.

6. Finally, I can thoroughly recommend the Brandrup internal roof liner. The T6 roof material doesn't keep the morning light out and is almost transparent if back lit. Also this liner makes the roof and the van much warmer and draught free in the winter months. They are expensive but well worth it.

You can easily do without all the rest as they are unlikely to enhance the wonderful feeling of freedom you will get from owning a California.

What ever you decide, good luck. However one things for certain, you won't get a three seater bench in an Ocean!

Last edited:
How big are the three children?

It is possible to fabricate a shorter rear shelf which would allow the lower bed to be made up whilst retaining the 5th seat in position.

Alternatively someone did fit a double front passenger seat.

Thanks!

How old are your kids? If they are younger, you might want to consider a multimac. I'm pondering getting one, I just need to find out if it will fit in the void under the bed when its folded out to store when camping (I'm not a fan of storing things outside in popup tents etc).

California is OK, but there are a lot of other conversions as mentioned. I own a Dutch made Tonke Van with standard 3 seats rear bench. (VW T6 4motion LWB)

Thanks all - lots to think about!

Thanks!
Hi, we have 3 kids and we have had a california se (model prior to ocean) and it has worked amazingly well for us for the last 3 years. We have the additional 5th seat and it is fine to move in and out. Yes, it's a little heavy and awkward but not a problem! We worked out way of adjusting the bed in back to give more leg room in their sitting area as they were getting bigger! We are now in the process of selling ours with a view to getting a beach as kids much bigger now however we love the spec of our van so keep wondering if we are doing the right thing!! Our kids now 8, 8 and 11.
In summary (sorry for waffle!!) I'd say depends on size of your kids and whether you see moving a seat in and out as hassle. We don't! We prefer spec on our van to beach. We are trying to sell now but won't be gutted if we can't!
Good luck!!

The big advantage of the 5th seat is that it enables you to keep the kids apart.
As any parent of 3 or more kids will know, 3 sitting in a row can be a recipe for arguments especially on long journeys. The 2 1 2 seating formation gives all three their own space.
For lunch stops & the like the fifth seat does fold giving a flat surface to use as a table.

At the end of the day if you go for an SE/ Ocean you will have to rearrange the seating for sleeping. If you go for a beach you will have to rearrange the fridge, cooker, water etc every time you need to use something.

You may be best off hiring one even for a weekend to try, or even put your location in your details & someone will let you have look at theirs.

How old are your kids? If they are younger, you might want to consider a multimac. I'm pondering getting one, I just need to find out if it will fit in the void under the bed when its folded out to store when camping (I'm not a fan of storing things outside in popup tents etc).
Hi we are also looking at a multimac as they seem to solve a problem (at least in theory). Has anyone had any experience of these in the Cali or other vehicles? Our kids are 4 and 2.
All the best

We've been living in a Beach as a family of four plus dog for just over six months.

Setting up a kitchen and dining area in a driveaway awning is getting pretty easy now.

Boris gave some good advice except for the internal topper. An external topper will protect the roof mechanism from the elements and can be left off for increased ventilation in hot weather. With practice, it takes 5 minutes to fit solo without steps so long as you don't have bikes on the tailgate - then you need steps.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Boris gave very good advice, an internal topper takes zero time to fit, takes up no storage space & no need to take it off to increase ventilation, just unzip the window panels.

Internal / external topper is one of those items of discussion with two opposing camps where there will never be agreement, other questions that mustn't be asked are:
is four wheel drive necessary
150 or 204 bhp
DSG or manual
Ocean or beach
Porta poti or not
Screw in or stick on coat hooks

Other than that please keep the questions coming:Grin

To the op,
Can I just add that many people buy a California with a view to keeping it for very many years. That is why I suggested that a Beach would be your best option.

As a father of four and a grandfather of eight, I have noticed over the years that our cute little ones only stay that way for a depressingly short period of time. They will insist on growing up and fast. Gorgeous compact cheaky littleuns quickly turn into hulking great spotty faced sullen moody teenagers. Any solution that will accomodate three children in an SE/Ocean will only work well in the short term. If it is your intention to keep your California long term then buying a Beach would future proof your outlay. A Beach will give you the extra flexibility that growing families require. Extra seats are very useful for trips with grandparents, school friends, weddings, family picnics etc etc whilst the extra space has boundless uses. Think longterm flexibility.

Last edited:
Back