Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it worth buying a Ocean PS204 TSI or is the PS150 TSI adequate?

M

Michael Parks

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am thinking of buying the petrol version of the California Ocean but can't decide whether I should opt for TSI 2.0 PS 204 engine or would the TSI 2.0 PS 150 be adequate.

I think we'll mainly be travelling around the UK with occasional trips around Europe. I don't think we're are likely to be towing but will be carrying bikes and kayaks.

Any Thoughts would be most useful
Thanks
Mike

Have a search, but looks like the TSi Cali isn't long for this world so you'll have to be quick!

I don't want to put you off but if I were thinking of buying a new Cali I would hang on for a while and see how things play out. Which engine/gearbox combinations are VW going to keep and which will they axe? It's anyones guess at the moment.
As usual the customers will be kept in the dark until they decide.

Last edited:
As always, it is a personal decision, what you would be happy with. I have an 204 DSG TSI on order and here is the background for my decision. Then you can see if it is of any help to you.

I wanted the TSI because my usage pattern with many short drives in between the longer trips is no good for diesel, or rather for the exhaust cleaning system.
And it will be my only car, and I really value to have sufficient power to feel like I am controlling the vehicle, not waiting for it. And the DSG I also find indispensable, and it only comes with the 204 (at least in Denmark).
Looking into the few experiences with the TSI, it looks like everybody likes the 204, but the reviews for the 150 are more mixed.
So I clearly favour the 204 and would be afraid that the 150 to me would feel lacking in power. While the 204 sounds like a lot of fun driving, on top of the fun camping all of the Cali's give.

If you look at the thread @Sad mentions above, it seems that VW will stop making TSI models this summer. That means that if you do not order know, you might have to wait for the T7 end 2019, and see if it comes with a petrol option.

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: Sad
Nows the time to buy if you wan't a TSI as it sounds like they won't be available for long. Living on Guernsey isn't going to do a deisel Cali a lot of good, unless you intend doing a few laps of the island in 1st gear every week or so.

I wouldn't get too hung up on either engine, I'm sure both will cruise quite happily at the motorway limit, & the bigger engine makes no difference at all when you are parked up camping in it.

We found the power of the TSI 150 acceptable, but the manual gearbox unacceptable, so went for the 205 DSG.

Many thanks for all your thoughts. The threads from @Sad certainly gives me a few more things to think about.

Reactions: Sad
We have a 150bhp TDI with manual gearbox and 4Motion on order to be delivered within 2-3 weeks. We went for the 150bhp as we are not buying a sportscar and we want to keep the price down and the fuel economy up. We have already had DSG in a previous car and the gearbox is too weak for our use, i. e. heavy towing (1500-2000 kg. trailer) as well as heavy loaded mountain driving.

hi
we have a 150 tsi manual and its fine and dandy, lugs loads of stuff around and tows a boat no problem.
gearbox is smooth and easy. I cant understand why some have said its unacceptable.

hi
we have a 150 tsi manual and its fine and dandy, lugs loads of stuff around and tows a boat no problem.
gearbox is smooth and easy. I cant understand why some have said its unacceptable.
It is perfect and a personal preference. Some demand bigger and supposedly better but having owned 6 Transporters my choice this time for my Ocean was the 150. Nothing wrong with the 204 and DSG and purely a personal choice. Word from VW is it will be back.

Back