Is Mine the Longest Build Time?

• Thread starter Virgil van Bike
  • Start date
Virgil van Bike

Virgil van Bike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Ordered my Ocean on 11th March from the dealer stock which was already on order from February, expecting a delivery first week of June. My confirmed build week is now 45, w/c 5th November. All being well should take delivery before Christmas, so pretty much a 10 month lead time.
Been chasing through VW chat for months, who had the vehicle in their system but no confirmed build week.
Apparently the delay has been down to Covid and the change in process to MY21.

Anybody beat this? :headbang

Nope, Ordered 23/10/19 delivered to stealers 22/03/20 spoke to stealers 23/03/20 to arrange pickup. 23/03/20 Covid 19 lockdown put a stop on collection. Finally picked up 01/07/20. So start to finish just over 250 days 8.3 months.

I paid my deposit on 27 April 2016.

Van finally delivered 1 March 2017.

309 days or 10 Months and 3 days. We shall just have to wait and see if you can beat that!

Clare was quicker than that in building two babies from my delivery to her delivery. However, I am ashamed to say that I found the wait for Amarillo to be built more exciting that the wait for either boy.

Last edited:
and I moaned about mine.........

I paid my deposit on 27 April 2016.

Van finally delivered 1 March 2017.

309 days or 10 Months and 3 days. We shall just have to wait and see if you can beat that!

Clare was quicker than that in building two babies from my delivery to her delivery. However, I am ashamed to say that I found the wait for Amarillo to be built more exciting that the wait for either boy.

I'm looking at 289 days (God I love Excel) if I get it by 5th December. I'd be happy for you to retain that record!
Can't say I've produced children in the meantime, but there has been a global pandemic.

Mind that the date you order until the Cali starts on the factory line is under influence of many things like the wait the dealer does until actual ordering at VW , some dealers do a bundle order to get more discount .
Then if one of your specifications (options) are temporary out of stock , you build time moves backwarts.
In build time itself there's not much difference in general . Once the first part of the chassis has the chip with verhicle details is on the assembly line the time it rolls of is know , then the transport to the California assembly plant and the wait there , that is the major factor . Due Covid there in the small factory where they assemble the Cali parts i am pretty sure some precautions needed to be taken as those workmen are in very close contact with eachother , almost all things are fitted by hand .
The time you need to wait from ordering until delivery would be a better title in this case.

Order placed 6 August 2019. Van collected 10 July 2020. 48 weeks.

It is worth it though :thumb

Mind that the date you order until the Cali starts on the factory line is under influence of many things like the wait the dealer does until actual ordering at VW , some dealers do a bundle order to get more discount .
Then if one of your specifications (options) are temporary out of stock , you build time moves backwarts.
In build time itself there's not much difference in general . Once the first part of the chassis has the chip with verhicle details is on the assembly line the time it rolls of is know , then the transport to the California assembly plant and the wait there , that is the major factor . Due Covid there in the small factory where they assemble the Cali parts i am pretty sure some precautions needed to be taken as those workmen are in very close contact with eachother , almost all things are fitted by hand .
The time you need to wait from ordering until delivery would be a better title in this case.
The factory had accepted the job number very early on, so as far as I can see the issue lies with them, hence my title. The big frustration is seeing other vans ordered after my date and already delivered, while I’m still waiting, so I don’t get the Covid and change to MY21 excuses I was given. So unless a shower attachment or grey paint was out of stock I’m struggling to understand the reason for mine!

The factory had accepted the job number very early on, so as far as I can see the issue lies with them, hence my title. The big frustration is seeing other vans ordered after my date and already delivered, while I’m still waiting, so I don’t get the Covid and change to MY21 excuses I was given. So unless a shower attachment or grey paint was out of stock I’m struggling to understand the reason for mine!
I feel your frustration, I really do. VW drove me utterly potty over our 11 month process. They are completely useless. It was the worst buying experience I have ever had, of any product. Let alone something costing so much. There is nothing you can do, VW UK will not, or cannot, help. It is a passive process.

And then 2 weeks after ours arrived it went back on an AA low loader because it dumped the engine oil due to a loose jubilee clip!

On a positive note, and even after all that mucking about, the 6.1 is brilliant. The Mrs and kids love it. Day trips, overnight stays and holidays. We have clocked up 4,000 miles in under 3 months.

Yours will arrive, eventually, and very soon after you will forget all this nonsense and bask in the joy! :thumb

It's not just VW.

I placed an order for a Hymer Ayers Rock in August for a July 2021 delivery date.

@GrannyJen , are we switching ....?

Yes and no.

The Ayers Rock may be a joint venture between me and my Son with me using it for another 4 week project I have in mind.

The Cali is my main car, it drives like one, parks like one, limbo's under height barriers like one and best of all it is a wonderfully reassuring cocoon when I am away on my own like I will be for most of next week. I desperately want to keep it but if push comes to shove it will have to go to make room for the hymer.

As a footnote, for those who keep talking about the Cali being overpriced, it is a bargain when compared to some of the lumbering beasts I have recently been looking at. Having six bedrooms, three kitchens, two lounges, an array of satellite dishes and more bogs than your average caravan club site is one thing, having the driving quality and sheer flexibility the Cali offers in one, well built quality package is another and I would rather have the Cali.

So mine has an option all those others allready delivered havent? Cool! wonder wat it is though

@Bartje , when we visited the factory the guide told us if you for instance have ticked optional special alu wheels or let's say a 2nd sliding window in the sliding door , and those items are current not in stock at the factory your build date moves back.
The chassis is given a chip from the first minute on the line wich hold all info on the end product. When moving on the line the parts for each chassis on the line at that moment wil be brought out automatic to the robot or person that fits the part.
If the window with the tint you orderd /sligding window would be unavaileble at that time they end up with a chassis they that can not proceed further down the line.
All parts come in just in time , there's a train with parts from other manufacturars that rolls in to the VW factory where it's unloaded and those parts go direct to the build line.
Many parts they hold no stock in the factory itself.
Also know that the Cali chassis are build on thesame line as the buildersvans and carravelle and they have to spread all the orders on those two build lines.

Thesame with the Cali plant .
There they have a certain ammout of seats , kitchenunits, roofs(in diffrent colours) stocked. If your colour or seatfabric is out of stock your Cali stays put in the parkinglot until all your parts are present . Only then they start finishing the camper part .
They can not put the rear seats in if the kitchenunit is not fitted,

It's not just VW.

I placed an order for a Hymer Ayers Rock in August for a July 2021 delivery date.

From your previous posts I had a look at Hymer Ayers Rock - looks a great vehicle & love the fact you can still have a pop top - Ive parked it for future upgrade when we're older & need more onboard facilities but for now need my VW pop top fix! Thats a very long wait !

From your previous posts I had a look at Hymer Ayers Rock - looks a great vehicle & love the fact you can still have a pop top - Ive parked it for future upgrade when we're older & need more onboard facilities but for now need my VW pop top fix! Thats a very long wait !

I could have opted for an April delivery but that would have been a stock build that simply did not come close enough to what I wanted.

I also have an 8 week project from May to July for which the Cali would be a better vehicle so it's not all gloom and doom :)

@Bartje , when we visited the factory the guide told us if you for instance have ticked optional special alu wheels or let's say a 2nd sliding window in the sliding door , and those items are current not in stock at the factory your build date moves back.
The chassis is given a chip from the first minute on the line wich hold all info on the end product. When moving on the line the parts for each chassis on the line at that moment wil be brought out automatic to the robot or person that fits the part.
If the window with the tint you orderd /sligding window would be unavaileble at that time they end up with a chassis they that can not proceed further down the line.
All parts come in just in time , there's a train with parts from other manufacturars that rolls in to the VW factory where it's unloaded and those parts go direct to the build line.
Also know that the Cali chassis are build on thesame line as the buildersvans and carravelle and they have to spread all the orders on those two build lines.

There they have a certain ammout of seats , kitchenunits, roofs(in diffrent colours) stocked. If your colour or seatfabric is out of stock your Cali stays put in the parkinglot until all your parts are present . Only then they start finishing the camper part .
I understand the proces. Still I wonder what option caused the delay since ours is pretty basic.

Ordered 31 May this year, finally been told build week 50 for delivery I guess late Jan. Feels like a lifetime...

When ordering in August: seller: "Please note: deliveries are only from April / May next year." I agree and we configure one and indeed: May next year; I bring a new option: sliding window in right sliding door: delivery .... May next year.
One week after: rear window camera and electrically folding mirrors added; delivery: May next year.
There is something more going on and despite all the explanations, it has to do with corona and especially the understaffing of the california hall, and a certain period of extremely high orders in the UK which they take first. Explanation from the Volkswagen dealer himself.
and to be clear: I agreed with the delivery date: I can wait, have time to save a little more and in the meantime we have our old faithful T4 westfalia :thumb
Greetings

Hello all - newbie here. Ordered T6.1 Ocean on 27 Aug and the order shows estimated delivery date of 31.12.20. I have since been given a build date of week 46 which was last week brought forward to week 44. So we seem to be on track? Dealer told me they would be trying to fulfil orders before end of year and avoid any possible Brexit complications. Maybe I should be taking that with a pinch of salt given the delays others have had! I have asked what is the expected time from build week to delivery and haven't had an answer. Wondering what others have experienced on that?

Hello all - newbie here. Ordered T6.1 Ocean on 27 Aug and the order shows estimated delivery date of 31.12.20. I have since been given a build date of week 46 which was last week brought forward to week 44. So we seem to be on track? Dealer told me they would be trying to fulfil orders before end of year and avoid any possible Brexit complications. Maybe I should be taking that with a pinch of salt given the delays others have had! I have asked what is the expected time from build week to delivery and haven't had an answer. Wondering what others have experienced on that?
If you have a confirmed week 44 build then you should hopefully see it this side of Christmas. Typically a couple of weeks to be shipped and a couple of weeks to get from UK port to dealer. What a Christmas present! :thumb

"Update"
My confirmed week 45 has now been un-confirmed!! Can't begin to describe my feeling on this!!!
VW chat are telling me to take it up with my Stealer!!
My delay from my original build week (20) is now going to be more than 6 months.
Fewming!!!

"Update"
My confirmed week 45 has now been un-confirmed!! Can't begin to describe my feeling on this!!!
My delay from my original build week (20) is now going to be more than 6 months.
Fewming!!!
Very sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are about to get the same treatment as I did.

Please let me save you some grief. VW UK will do the square root of nothing. The Dealer is completely passive. VW UK will not call VW Germany to ask WTF is going on. If you are very , very lucky the dealer might loan you a "vehicle" but highly likely it will not be a Cali.

After 11 months of utter nonsense, in my experience, you only have 2 options; 1 - Wait or 2 - Buy something else. Again, I am really sorry your order is going this way. Great vehicle, worst buying experience ever.

"Update"
Fewming!!!
Oh no - how infuriating! Any reason given? Do you have a particularly 'interesting' spec? I have a wk 45 confirmation but am going to continue to keep fingers crossed since this is the first I've heard of confirmations being unconfirmed... :oops: