Is my control panel knob broke? 2007 130SE

• Thread starter Painted Pilgrim
  • Start date
Painted Pilgrim

Painted Pilgrim

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi, when I turn the knob it seems to jump to a random item and not the next one on the list, you can eventually get to the one you want but it’s definitely not right.
Also when I try to raise the roof with the ignition on but engine off it crashes the panel completely and the date resets.(plugged into mains when tried)
I’ve just bought the van and know it’s been stood and the leisure batteries are possibly knackered if this wound effect it.
I took a video of what’s happening but it won’t let me upload it.

Last edited:
Hi, when I turn the knob it seems to jump to a random item and not the next one on the list, you can eventually get to the one you want but it’s definitely not right.
Also when I try to raise the roof with the ignition on but engine off it crashes the panel completely and the date resets.(plugged into mains when tried)
I’ve just bought the van and know it’s been stood and the leisure batteries are possibly knackered if this wound effect it.
I took a video of what’s happening but it won’t let me upload it.
The date resetting sounds like it has lost power. That would make sense that raising the roof with ignition on but engine off requires leisure battery which if mostly knackered would die at that point and so crash the computer.
If you raise roof with engine running it’s ok?

I must admit I always raise and lower with engine running. Not sure why though!

Batteries are quite expensive, computer very expensive. I think I read your post when you got the van that you were going to get new batteries and welshgas said you needed to buy two at once. I would do that first and see if things improve. It sounds like may be a power problem rather than a button problem.

The date resetting sounds like it has lost power. That would make sense that raising the roof with ignition on but engine off requires leisure battery which if mostly knackered would die at that point and so crash the computer.
If you raise roof with engine running it’s ok?

I must admit I always raise and lower with engine running. Not sure why though!
Yes it’s fine with the engine running.
Was plugged into hook up but still crashed maybe the batteries are completely dead.

Yes it’s fine with the engine running.
Was plugged into hook up but still crashed maybe the batteries are completely dead.
Or definitely on way out. My batteries are still going strong on an 08 van but I think I’m lucky. Batteries seem like a sensible buy. I’m no electrician but I think even plugged in, if your batteries are knackered the outcome won’t be good.

Or definitely on way out. My batteries are still going strong on an 08 van but I think I’m lucky. Batteries seem like a sensible buy. I’m no electrician but I think even plugged in, if your batteries are knackered the outcome won’t be good.
Yes I’d agree. Doesn’t explain The jumping menu thing though..

Yes I’d agree. Doesn’t explain The jumping menu thing though..
No but it’s a computer and they don’t like power problems.

A 2007 van? Is it the original computer? That would be pretty miraculous. You were happy to spend a bit getting the van upto scratch weren’t you?

Good time of year for it.

No but it’s a computer and they don’t like power problems.

A 2007 van? Is it the original computer? That would be pretty miraculous. You were happy to spend a bit getting the van upto scratch weren’t you?

Good time of year for it.
Yes I’d say it is original as the knob is well worn. I was thinking it could be something to do with flat batteries. Will have to get them sorted and see if it still does it

Yes I’d say it is original as the knob is well worn. I was thinking it could be something to do with flat batteries. Will have to get them sorted and see if it still does it
4E7DB6F8-82E2-4EDF-B363-8014D81CB5D3.png
Not a bad price. You’re aware of the switch in the boot cupboard for generator or EHU?

The first computers were pretty bad. It’s amazing the screen still works. Replaced mine 2 years ago. I personally think our early 5 cylinder Californias are arguably the best. There’s not many weak points but the computer is one.

Last edited:
View attachment 101537
Not a bad price. You’re aware of the switch in the boot cupboard for generator or EHU?

The first computers were pretty bad. It’s amazing the screen still works. Replaced mine 2 years ago. I personally think our early 5 cylinder Californias are arguably the best. There’s not many weak points but the computer is one.
Thanks! Do you mean the RCD switch for the hook up?

Thanks! Do you mean the RCD switch for the hook up?
Yes. You just mentioned you got the van from someone who didn’t use it much. I guessed minimal handover. I sometimes wonder if people know it’s there. But good you did.

Does your computer show battery charging when on hookup? If nothing the voltage should go to something like 14 but I think there is a symbol also.

Jumping menu sounds like worn switch. Mine does the same, I have a 3d printed spare that I intend to try if it finally dies, but it's not annoying enough yet to undertake.

I bought our 2012 SE in July and our control panel knob jumps like that also... It just doesn't bother me enough to faff with it just yet

Its not the control knob as I had this with mine and a new one did not sort the menu jumping. Its the actual rotational switch on the PCB thats faulty. I had this replaced and now its fine... Theres a guy on here that sorted it... https://www.electronicequipmentrepair.com. was professional and way cheaper than a new controller!

I had a problem with the menu selection jumping and in some cases not being able to 'locate' a function. Replacing the knob did not solve the issued and purchase a new rotary 'encoder' switch.
After professional repair shop replacement, the problem remained and actually worse. As I'm in Canada I just got fed up and obtained a new control panel from BUS-ok.de.
They had the best price by far (489 Euro). Due to Brexit they are reluctant to ship to UK, but you can get around the problem by using a transhipper such as myGermany.com. who provide you with a 'virtual' German address.
Finally I have full functionality and better display.

Back