Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there a Solution for Carrying 5 bikes ?

JTMonza

JTMonza

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,
Our new Beach arrives in the next few weeks and I am debating on a solution to carry 5 bikes.
Has anyone tried this with any success.
Looking to carry four full size and one child’s bike.
Thanks in advance

you could strap the childs bike onto the other 4 - just keep and eye on the weight restrictions depending on which carrier you use

Tow bar mounted rack + tailgate rack

Hi All,
Our new Beach arrives in the next few weeks and I am debating on a solution to carry 5 bikes.
Has anyone tried this with any success.
Looking to carry four full size and one child’s bike.
Thanks in advance
I think weight and size will play a factor here.
I had a converted T5 prior to Cali that had the VW tailgate rack and I fitted a lightweight tow ball carrier to carry 5 lightweight road bikes. It was a tight fit but they were all carbon road bikes so it is doable. Some bikes are big, bulky and heavy so might be an issue with weight.
Hope you solve it - can’t beat a family bike ride.

That would be an awful lot of weight hanging on the back. Won’t do the suspension much good.

Wrap the smaller one well, carry it inside?

Last edited:
We carted two adult bikes, two child bikes and a two child Burley trailer around Scandinavia for 11 weeks.

Rail 1 - adult bike
Rail 2 - adult bike + front of child bike in middle of rack
Rail 3 - child bike + rear of child bike at end of rack
Rail 4 - bike trailer

c198f3b40f495cad5daaccaf0e6c8078.jpg

The adult bikes are Bromptons, handles folded down and saddle dropped to keep them below the roof line.

Your problem is a little different, with four adult bikes and a child’s bike. Perhaps you could strap the child’s bike below the rack. But take note of the rack’s weight limit of (I think) 60 Kg.

A second alternative would be a roof bike holder.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu