Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there anyone who is happy with ther GC?

S

Sven Ole

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Looking side by side with problems? My GC 600 works just fine for great pleasure. Have not heard of major problems even north of the Arctic Circle. VW service is good and problems are fixed if there are any. I bought my VW because of good experiences with good service.

Yes! We are very happy with our GC600 and did 16000km this summer around Sweden and Europe. Next summer Norway !!

I find the GC very good as a driving car and you can cover a lot of distance fast and relaxing. We are 2 adults and 2 children and the upper bed works great. Love that it just disappears when not in use

We only did a few upgrades since the van have most of the things we need..

Thule bike rack
Smaller table
Branderup carpets

We had one problem with the big door flyscreen but our VW dealer changed it directly. They got the part in one day so VW Sweden had that part in stock

Now we just put the camper away in storage until spring since we dont do winter trips.

326C4955-C187-4491-B79C-08AF940E0DB9.jpeg

Velkommen til Norge. Her er vi mer med GC her holde kontakten og vi er glade. De fleste av oss bruker GC hele året som 4W, ingen har store problemer med denne bilen. VW-tjenesten er også god. Glad for å høre at noen er fornøyd med sin VW GC.

20210410_123743.jpg

Welcome to Norway. Here we are more with GC here keep in touch and we are happy. Most of us use GC all year round like 4W, no one has major issues with this car. VW service is also good. Glad to hear that someone is happy with their VW GC.

Can I ask with winter weather in Norway much more extreme, especially as I'm mostly in the south west UK.
Do you find the van is winterised enough and I've read about the tank (grey!) dumps it's contents at a certain temperature?
I'd like a conversion but lead times are ridiculous, thought about GC or something similar but slightly cheaper. I keep posting but for me this would be full time van life. So it has to work.

Can I ask with winter weather in Norway much more extreme, especially as I'm mostly in the south west UK.
Do you find the van is winterised enough and I've read about the tank (grey!) dumps it's contents at a certain temperature?
I'd like a conversion but lead times are ridiculous, thought about GC or something similar but slightly cheaper. I keep posting but for me this would be full time van life. So it has to work.
Winter in minus degrees. Those who drive in the winter fire the car all the time with diesel heaters, are also in a heated garage. Water is not good, I drain for safety. Better with loose water jugs. In sub-zero temperatures, it is allowed to use your head to avoid major problems. There will be limited comfort. My GC friend drives and lives this winter happily in 15 minus degrees and I can come back to his experiences.

199334363_10158744573876953_7617924923002307169_n.jpg

Some have diesel heaters using the Truma only for hot water. Showers and uses the fresh water tank. It requires that you keep the car good and warm. In severe cold, measures must be taken. Internal insulation of windows is good.

Thanks

I'd be able to shower at work so could keep to minimal usage if ever that cold. Rarely in the south of uk
When you say using bottled water etc, is that so both fresh and grey aren't used and left empty, when a risk of sub zero temperature ?
Or can you leave the grey tap open so it drains?

In sub-zero temperatures, it is allowed to use your head to avoid major problems.
Can you use the toilet in the GC in winter? "Head" is a slang term for toilet and I'm not sure if you're referring to the toilet in this sentence or not.

Can you use the toilet in the GC in winter? "Head" is a slang term for toilet and I'm not sure if you're referring to the toilet in this sentence or not.
Sorry English is not my language. I would use some antifreeze in the toilet tank. A temperature gauge where cold is to be monitored as a toilet cabinet. + 2-4 degrees is probably the lower limit. Remember temperature drops at night. Water and cold are destruction. Good luck.

Very happy with our GC680.
We've owned it since 1st July and have spent every other 2 weeks away in it.
When not in use we keep it in storage under a cover so I switch the main switch off this keeps the battery at 100%. The first time I used the cover I didn't switch the main switch off and the battery went down to 30% and this caused the controller to freeze but a reset fixed that.
Other than that no problems!
I'd like to get some off road tyres and wheels but can't figure out what will fit properly

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Very happy with our GC680.
We've owned it since 1st July and have spent every other 2 weeks away in it.
When not in use we keep it in storage under a cover so I switch the main switch off this keeps the battery at 100%. The first time I used the cover I didn't switch the main switch off and the battery went down to 30% and this caused the controller to freeze but a reset fixed that.
Other than that no problems!
I'd like to get some off road tyres and wheels but can't figure out what will fit properly

Hi I have the same issue with wheels only ones available with a suitable weigh load has a massive offset and wondering what issues that might bring up with regards to suspension/bearings and warranty.
Still want to stick to 17”

I’m not quite sure why it’s taken me so long to answer this question but yes extremely happy although had a few issues not many as some but we’re almost there as a vehicle it’s a fantastic campervan.

Hi I have the same issue with wheels only ones available with a suitable weigh load has a massive offset and wondering what issues that might bring up with regards to suspension/bearings and warranty.
Still want to stick to 17”
Yes exactly - I don't want to spend £1500 only to regret it later.
There seems to be plenty available for the Crafter van (and my logic might be off here) so surely if they are fine for a fully loaded Crafter (and all the third party conversations) doesn't that mean that they should be fine for a GC?
Or are the suspension components different?

I wouldnt need the pull down bed,
so would that make the GC a bit wasted on me.
Not sure you'd want the raised roof, with out the bed?
Just many thoughts

I wouldnt need the pull down bed,
so would that make the GC a bit wasted on me.
Not sure you'd want the raised roof, with out the bed?
Just many thoughts
No bed but massive storage.

Yes exactly - I don't want to spend £1500 only to regret it later.
There seems to be plenty available for the Crafter van (and my logic might be off here) so surely if they are fine for a fully loaded Crafter (and all the third party conversations) doesn't that mean that they should be fine for a GC?
Or are the suspension components different?

Hi not sure the components are any different but without looking sure the unladen weight is more than a crafter but it’s mainly the offset that worries me the standard wheel has an offset of 60 and most of the others I see out there are 35 which is a large difference. Hence my reluctance. Lots of options from Black Rhino, but little availability.

Very happy with our new 680. First trip (Shakedown) was from one end of the South Island (New Zealand) to the other and return. Total of 1500km. first night was minus 2 and I didn't know how to turn the heat on. I rang the dealer and he said " Stop pushing the buttons" LOL. He talked me through it and we were toasty as from then on. I love the AWD and the power of the motor is very good. Bed is a bit hard for us so we have now put a duck down topper pad on. We are away next weekend for another week so will try this out.

Finally very happy with the 600, took 2 dealer visits and around a week in total off the road at the dealership but finally all the problems are sorted.
In the 2.5 months of ownership from new we have done 6400 miles, it’s easy to drive, but with a few expected rattles.

We live full time in the 600 so in a couple months can update on the liveability during the winter months in the UK. (South West)
Im also looking for off-road tires, I’m leaning towards the BFG KO2 245/70/17 not sure if they will fit. If not, might have to go down in rim size, not sure.

There loads of YouTube videos with upgrading the crafters wheels but most are the older crafters. Not sure if they are different but some people manage to fit the above mentioned tires.

Finally very happy with the 600, took 2 dealer visits and around a week in total off the road at the dealership but finally all the problems are sorted.
In the 2.5 months of ownership from new we have done 6400 miles, it’s easy to drive, but with a few expected rattles.

We live full time in the 600 so in a couple months can update on the liveability during the winter months in the UK. (South West)
Im also looking for off-road tires, I’m leaning towards the BFG KO2 245/70/17 not sure if they will fit. If not, might have to go down in rim size, not sure.

There loads of YouTube videos with upgrading the crafters wheels but most are the older crafters. Not sure if they are different but some people manage to fit the above mentioned tires.
You could get in touch with Elite wheels they seem to offer wheels and tyres for new Crafters. They may help and advise on tyres for you.

Back