Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this my inverter?

P

pete&gill

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
The inverter in my 2008 Cali (I think one of the first vans to have one) has stopped working after the missus accidentally overloaded it.
This looks as if it could be the unit, under the fridge, but does anyone know if it has a fuse?- all the fuses under the passenger seat are intact.
That looks like a slide switch on the front and I think the German translates as with/without temperature sensor.
Before I try switching the switch, or taking the unit out (which looks as if it might be possible for a contortionist) any help would be much appreciated.

20170519_123447.jpg

I would have thought it has overload protection. Have you tried plugging it in again to see if it has an automatic reset function. There will be a fuse somewhere, just need to spend some time with a multimeter to check the fuses. As you have eliminated the ones under the passenger seat move to the ones in the dashboard and under the bonnet. Might be worth checking the fuse layouts in the download section if you have VIP access. Good luck.

The inverter in my 2008 Cali (I think one of the first vans to have one) has stopped working after the missus accidentally overloaded it.
This looks as if it could be the unit, under the fridge, but does anyone know if it has a fuse?- all the fuses under the passenger seat are intact.
That looks like a slide switch on the front and I think the German translates as with/without temperature sensor.
Before I try switching the switch, or taking the unit out (which looks as if it might be possible for a contortionist) any help would be much appreciated.

View attachment 21787
I'm not familiar with the 2008 model, but I believe that unit under the fridge is the Mains Charger Unit. The 150 watt Inverter is a unit with the socket as one unit and is in the base of the B pillar. It has built in Thermal Protection and a micro switch that is activated when a plug is inserted correctly and a LED lights up to show it is working. It also has its own fuse.

View attachment 21787
That is the battery charger..

I'm not familiar with the 2008 model, but I believe that unit under the fridge is the Mains Charger Unit. The 150 watt Inverter is a unit with the socket as one unit and is in the base of the B pillar. It has built in Thermal Protection and a micro switch that is activated when a plug is inserted correctly and a LED lights up to show it is working. It also has its own fuse.

Many thanks for this helpful post WelshGas I have now found the fuse for the inverter under the passenger seat by blowing it! It was previously intact but my fiddling around with the inverter plug blew it. The socket now seems loose so I think the original problem must have been the socket rather than the (presumably coincidental) accidental overload.

My next question therefore is does anyone know how to remove the inverter unit?

Many thanks for this helpful post WelshGas I have now found the fuse for the inverter under the passenger seat by blowing it! It was previously intact but my fiddling around with the inverter plug blew it. The socket now seems loose so I think the original problem must have been the socket rather than the (presumably coincidental) accidental overload.

My next question therefore is does anyone know how to remove the inverter unit?
You will have to remove the Lower B Pillar Trim to get access.

You will have to remove the Lower B Pillar Trim to get access.
Thanks - I thought so, but I'm wary of breaking it - do you know how? Do you need special tools?