Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this normal after roof corrosion repair?

Raggedroy

Raggedroy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Is this what I should expect after the front panel has been repaired for the corrosion issue? Shorade tell me that this is the recommended method from VW. The gap between the aluminium section and the original roof is now full of sealer.DSCF0739.JPG

Not had ours done yet but the gap looks bigger at one end or is it an optical illusion

Last edited:
I don't believe mine was filled with sealant - although mine was done a year ago so it may have changed.

Lot's of other problems with my repair (Done last October by AB Crush) but no visible sealant...

It might be just that it's further back from the edge than yours, but have to say, that doesn't look pretty.

Rgds

M

My worry is that the more the approved centres do, are they "finding / making" their own short cuts. Question, what checks are VW making to audit the body shops work. Seen a number of issues on forum following work carried out.

That does not look like mine does after being in at Shorade...I still have the original line where they meet showing. I do know that more sealant is applied inside that area see pics ..
Any changes from standard VW process have to be approved by VW rather than bodyshop taking decision eg the extra chafing tape around roof edges was suggested by Shorade and VW agreed it was an improvement and in theory others should take it on and I also know VW do visit bodyshops to check things are OK etc...
I would talk it through with Mark Thornsby at Shorade and ask him why it's now being done like this and when / why it changed...and if you are not happy with finished look tell him...?3 lr.jpg 6 lr.jpg

Hi Raggedroy
Our Cali only had corrosion under the seal on the raising section of the roof so my front panel, fixed section, wasn't repaired.
The seal around the raising section now appears to be glued on, time will tell.
Until them useless load of wassocks at Vw tell us what should be being done to our hugely expensive vehicles then we will never know, if say 5 years down the line some have corrosion reappear and others don't because of differing repair procedures how are the unlucky ones going to get recompense, will Vw throw it back at the paintshop, leaving the unlucky folks up you know which creek without a paddle!

How do they deal with the galvanic corrosion on the roof caps? Is it simply flatten with a DA sander, filler and paint? ie borderline bodging?

I've much more experience with Land Rovers being a long term Landy nut and as others will know they suffer from galvanic corrosion a lot - simply sanding/filling painting is not always a long term solution........

Mine was the first to be done at Shorade last year and had the choice of gap or sealant. I went for sealant and think that is what they do on all now.
You soon forget about it.

I had mine repaired in Newcastle by Benfield, and the repair does not look like Raggedroy"s photo.
On my vehicle I can still see the top edge of the windscreen, the bottom layer of metal bodywork, then the sealant then the replaced roof panel. No sign of any corrosion appearing yet!

Had mine done last March in Dublin. It was the first undertaken by VW Ireland and it includes sealent. You get used to it.

That does not look like mine does after being in at Shorade...I still have the original line where they meet showing. I do know that more sealant is applied inside that area see pics ..
Any changes from standard VW process have to be approved by VW rather than bodyshop taking decision eg the extra chafing tape around roof edges was suggested by Shorade and VW agreed it was an improvement and in theory others should take it on and I also know VW do visit bodyshops to check things are OK etc...
I would talk it through with Mark Thornsby at Shorade and ask him why it's now being done like this and when / why it changed...and if you are not happy with finished look tell him...?View attachment 9597 View attachment 9598
Hi Can you tell me what all the pipes are in the top pic of new roof panel thanks

Hi Can you tell me what all the pipes are in the top pic of new roof panel thanks
They are the Hydraulic pipes from the Pump, hidden by the white foam, to the hydraulic rams together with a wiring loom for the Ram sensors.
The black pipe with the white push connector is the front roof channel water drain.

Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 18.16.45.jpg

1. Pump
Dotted lines are the pipes and wiring loom.

Last edited:
They are the Hydraulic pipes from the Pump, hidden by the white foam, to the hydraulic rams together with a wiring loom for the Ram sensors.
The black pipe with the white push connector is the front roof channel water drain.

View attachment 39366

1. Pump
Dotted lines are the pipes and wiring loom.
Thanks for that, I have had roof corrosion fix done at Newbury but roof stopped working shortly afterward, VW BREEZE saying hydralics damaged by body shop on driver side and leaking, do you know if hydraulics pipes are metal or plastic??, not sure how bodyshop damaged them but I do know they cut the old roof cap off

I spoke to bodyshop Manager at Newbury and he said that they dont go anywhere near the hydraulics, but Breeze Totton have said they are 100% sure bodyshop have caused leak as this area is sealed of and no one else could have caused this to happen

Thanks for that, I have had roof corrosion fix done at Newbury but roof stopped working shortly afterward, VW BREEZE saying hydralics damaged by body shop on driver side and leaking, do you know if hydraulics pipes are metal or plastic??, not sure how bodyshop damaged them but I do know they cut the old roof cap off
I think they are non-metal.
You could ask Vw guru via Personal Message/Conversation. He is a VW Master Technician.
Also discuss the matter with VW Customer Service.

Last edited:
I spoke to bodyshop Manager at Newbury and he said that they dont go anywhere near the hydraulics, but Breeze Totton have said they are 100% sure bodyshop have caused leak as this area is sealed of and no one else could have caused this to happen

Breeze a Totton give a really good service and I would fully trust what they are telling you.

I think they are non-metal.
You could ask Vw guru via Personal Message/Conversation. He is a VW Master Technician.
Also discuss the matter with VW Customer Service.

Hold on I will find out more I know the master tech at totton. And yes your correct the pipes are a reinforced plastic

Hold on I will find out more I know the master tech at totton. And yes your correct the pipes are a reinforced plastic
Ok Thanks for that, VW Newbury picked up van today after alot of arguing, the manager says they've done over 90 vans and never had this issue. I’m just a little concerned they might mess it up more as there just a bodyshop

Ok Thanks for that, VW Newbury picked up van today after alot of arguing, the manager says they've done over 90 vans and never had this issue. I’m just a little concerned they might mess it up more as there just a bodyshop

To be honest newbury have been one of the better body shops dealing with this repair not really had many issues with what they have done. I’ve spoken to the master tech at totton he is aware of your vehicle but does not know what roof repair it has had done wether it was the cap or the full roof reinforcement he said he will let me know tomorrow.

To be honest newbury have been one of the better body shops dealing with this repair not really had many issues with what they have done. I’ve spoken to the master tech at totton he is aware of your vehicle but does not know what roof repair it has had done wether it was the cap or the full roof reinforcement he said he will let me know tomorrow.
Ok thankyou, much appreciated