Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this what I think it is….

Chunkymunky

Chunkymunky

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Having Spent a pleasant afternoon checking roof seal and gummi pfleging ( I live la vida loca…)
I noticed this little area to the roof above the seal rear near side some time ago but paid no attention
Is it what I think it is ?
It’s above the seal - Ie nothing below the rubber line.nothing to the “ van” part of the van. Nothing else on the roof at all. Ive took a couple of pics for scale -
What next?
Background - t6 ocean 2016. Out of warranty ( of course)
I Bought it off my mate 18 months ago who had it since new - he’d had some insurance work done as a neighbour of his had splashed the rear with masonry paint while jaunting his walls. Nothing major and this didn’t involve a respray but may have had some form of laquer/ paint restoration. He wasn’t sure- it was dealt with by his insurance not VAG
Thoughts or opinions?
Cheers 81FF18A8-E86C-471F-BDF4-A173002B4DBF.jpeg

AECAB5E3-0B9F-44A6-A701-08E16FA5651C.jpeg

ABED1785-A527-4CBA-A7DB-901041C5209A.jpeg

10616987-CCD8-4550-A606-35E901AE33FE.jpeg

Yes unfortunately it is what you think it is. If I have understood correctly VW covers this up to 6 years. Take it in, they photograph it and send to VW for authorization. Mine was done in one month in Spain, but I understand the UK wait is years.

Having Spent a pleasant afternoon checking roof seal and gummi pfleging ( I live la vida loca…)
I noticed this little area to the roof above the seal rear near side some time ago but paid no attention
Is it what I think it is ?
It’s above the seal - Ie nothing below the rubber line.nothing to the “ van” part of the van. Nothing else on the roof at all. Ive took a couple of pics for scale -
What next?
Background - t6 ocean 2016. Out of warranty ( of course)
I Bought it off my mate 18 months ago who had it since new - he’d had some insurance work done as a neighbour of his had splashed the rear with masonry paint while jaunting his walls. Nothing major and this didn’t involve a respray but may have had some form of laquer/ paint restoration. He wasn’t sure- it was dealt with by his insurance not VAG
Thoughts or opinions?
Cheers View attachment 83461

View attachment 83462

View attachment 83463

View attachment 83464
Have you had the Workshop Action carried out by VW. It involves removing the Elevating Roof Seal, inspection for any corrosion if minor dealt by workshop if major bodysuit, and clear tape applied and old seal if undamaged or new seal.?
Applies to all Californias 2010 to 2017.

Have you had the Workshop Action carried out by VW. It involves removing the Elevating Roof Seal, inspection for any corrosion if minor dealt by workshop if major bodysuit, and clear tape applied and old seal if undamaged or new seal.?
Applies to all Californias 2010 to 2017.
no- no workshop action - no tape in place
Not that I know of and my mate knows nothing about it from his time with it
So even though it’s changed ownership and out of warranty it’s back to VW for check / input?

Yes unfortunately it is what you think it is. If I have understood correctly VW covers this up to 6 years. Take it in, they photograph it and send to VW for authorization. Mine was done in one month in Spain, but I understand the UK wait is years.
Wishful thinking I suppose on my behalf !
Seems to be very strange being above the seal area and not in contact with the steel part of the roof.

Wishful thinking I suppose on my behalf !
Seems to be very strange being above the seal area and not in contact with the steel part of the roof.
The steel is inside the rubber seal to give it form to grip the edge of the roof. Even micro pores in the seal can make it react with the aluminum roof. Same system as the first 2003 T5 California, and the same problem. It boggles the mind.

no- no workshop action - no tape in place
Not that I know of and my mate knows nothing about it from his time with it
So even though it’s changed ownership and out of warranty it’s back to VW for check / input?
Yes.

Thanks very much
I’ll call Liverpool VW this morning to chase up and will report back- see if this can help anyone else
Cheers gents
Personally I would wait until your next service visit. There is no time limit on the Workshop Action.

I do not quite understand the place where these corrosions usually occur. The photos are usually close-ups to get a good view of the corrosion, but a wider view would be helpful to understand where to look. Could you or others with knowledge of the problem make one? This could be useful to the community. Thanks in advance.

Thanks very much
I’ll call Liverpool VW this morning to chase up and will report back- see if this can help anyone else
Cheers gents
Booked in for this on 6th September. They are aware of a recall for the roof corrosion and another for control panel ( apparently )
Fingers crossed rest of process goes as smoothly eh?
Thanks again chaps

Personally I would wait until your next service visit. There is no time limit on the Workshop Action.
I’m using my independent as out of warranty - but therein lies another school of thought regarding Indy versus dealer outside of warranty window … especially as there are two apparent recalls / remedials ….

I do not quite understand the place where these corrosions usually occur. The photos are usually close-ups to get a good view of the corrosion, but a wider view would be helpful to understand where to look. Could you or others with knowledge of the problem make one? This could be useful to the community. Thanks in advance.

C0CFAEE0-1615-4A41-BB2E-11CE270E40A7.jpeg

The steel is inside the rubber seal to give it form to grip the edge of the roof. Even micro pores in the seal can make it react with the aluminum roof. Same system as the first 2003 T5 California, and the same problem. It boggles the mind.
Ah. That would explain it
Simply chemistry, eh?
I presumed it needed direct contact aluminum to steel and the rubber was a barrier- your explanation makes sense

Thank you. Very useful. I have never looked at this place until now. I will do it immediately.
VW fitted a clear tape to the roof edge before fitting rubber seal from January 2017 to prevent this problem.
Tape could be seen at the rear corner protruding a few mm's above the seal, only place visible on mine.

20171005_093400[1].jpg

It can be anywhere hidden under the seal, or visible right above it. You can lightly pull the seal down to check.

96650FA7-E3D4-4A8D-99C1-D10CFD02E125.png

Update
Been in VW today
It indeed was what I thought it was :(

they cannot complete remedial work / workshop recall but they have measured and photographed area of corrosion. This will be dealt with by vw approved body shop “ at some stage soon”
I must now await the vw warranty man contacting me in the next four weeks to arrange remedial work
Any idea of timeframes on this malarkey ? I understand from some background reading this may take some time ?

Posting this link as it’s relevant to this thread and could be of use to others in checking their roof seal regularly even on new vans

Update and further questions !
After radio silence since September from VW ( “ we’ll ring you in about four weeks…) I did a bit of chasing up. I only really wanted a written assurance that remedials would take place, but after a couple of mither emails from me, had the servicing manager call me. He tells me that the warranty people have looked at the photos they have taken , and feel the work can be completed “ in a day” and without going to a body shop- ie at the service centre- in a couple of weeks
Has anyone had any experience of such repairs as a day case ? I think I’ve only read of repairs involving body shop works. As my pics demonstrate , it IS a tiny area , and hasn’t worsened after my latest check

Try applying Johnson Evinrude Triple Guard Grease. Remove seal clean and check for signs of corrosion. If none present the apply this grease to the inside of the clean seal before reinstalling.

This grease is specially formulated to prevent corrosion. Don’t be tempted to use any other type of grease or even other types of marine grease. Only the best is good enough for your Cali.

Triple Guard grease properties

Formulated higher water resistance and improved adhesion to metal
  • Will not swell the rubber seal
  • Totally waterproof to prevent water wash-off , even in marine applications
  • Repels water - will not mix with water and lose lubrication quality unlike soap based greases
  • Prevents corrosion by forming a protective layer - even in saltwater
  • Maintains stability - will not breakdown or lose consistency