Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is VW taking tje mickey with WLTP - (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test) Hmmmmmm

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear All,

So specced up my beach, 2.0 diesel 150 ps approved on finace, ready to sign the document and then dealer sent a form for me to sign as well basically saying the cali due to lead in times will be tested under WLTP as of 1st September (please see attached).

This basically means if found not to have 175 g/km or do 44.2mpg (already know it dosnt do this mpg) they want me to sign a disclaimer saying i am happy with this and to pay any further VED charges if the emissions are higher. The beach already has 1st year charge of £1240 and i am worried if it is higher emissions then it could go into the £1700 or even £2040 ved bracket and who wants to sign a form saying there happy to give government more money??

I also have the right to cancel the order but after waiting months, wouldnt want this either.

I asked, if its higher emssions, can vw pay/ refund or give me credit the excess of anything higher than the current 1st year ved charge £1240 so i know what i am paying because at the end of the day, they would have got the emissions wrong, not me. They have declined, but of course they would.

Apologies for the long query, but something doesnt sit right with me here so have still not sent order form off.

Screenshot_20180626-093421_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Interesting! When I took delivery of my Cali in Feb last year the VC5 document stated a higher VED rate than I was expecting. I complained and got a voucher in compensation. I know this was not at the time of WLPT but I guess with new legislation coming into force VW do not want to leave themselves exposed to potential compensation when they do not yet know how their vehicles will perform.

We ordered our a new 204PS DSG 4MOTION about a month ago and our dealer made us sign the same form; I did discuss it at length with the dealer at the time and I came away on the understanding that this is somewhat beyond VW's control since these new emissions tests are an industry wide initiative that will affect all vehicle manufacturers.

For us year 1 VED is "currently" £1,760 and years 2 through 6 are £450 and then in year 7 it reverts to the standard rates (whatever that is in 7 years time).

Our WLTP form also stated that should VED rates change post WLTP testing then we have the option of cancelling our order or changing the spec but like you I wouldn't really be happy with either option after waiting for up to 6 months.

I would think (or rather hope) that VW are doing whatever they can to try and reduce the risk of VED rates being increased and so they will be expanding their own testing procedures and tweaking the engine here and there so that when their cars are put through the WLTP tests then they come out the other end with a "pass" and so VED rates are less likely increase; although of course there is still a risk that they will increase, only time will tell.

On balance we just decided that we'd take it on the chin; sure we might have a bit more to pay in terms of VED and as annoying as that would be, we'd still be the proud owners of a brand new CaliO ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
it's not just VW it's every new car coming out has to go through this. If you bought your Cali in a years time they'd have the up to date data. It's just the time you and I have placed our orders.

Decided to just send fn the form and if its found to be in the hihh price bracket and terrible mpg, worry about it then

Decided to just send fn the form and if its found to be in the hihh price bracket and terrible mpg, worry about it then
I ordered a new Ocean last September. I was told in December it was ready but I couldn’t have it as VW wouldn’t release it. After six weeks with no info I cancelled it. VW do themselves no favours by not communicating.

Good stuff and congrats on getting your order in :thumb

Just gotta play the waiting game now; exciting stuff ;)

Back