Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is your Cali registered as a car or as a campervan?

S

stanvw

Hello

In my country (nevem mind which is that for now) VW T5 Comfortline California is posibble to register only as a car not as a campervan because the manufacturer marked it as a car not campervan. Registration as a campervan brings lower payment for insurance. I woud pay half the price for insurance but they don´t want to give me papers for campervan.

Can someone tells me how it is that in your country? Does anyone know how it is in Germany?

Thank you
Stan

Hi Stan if I remember correctly when the first Cali's started coming into the uk they were also registered as cars but I think the vw dealers sorted it out with the dvla and re registered them as
A Campervan or motorhome can't remember which. mine is insured as a motorhome :thumb

In France, the Cali registration document specifies VASP (Campervan etc) as opposed to VP (private car).
Insurance follows the registration document.

I just got my V5C from DVLA yesterday. My Beach is body Type = Motor Caravan, Taxation Class = Diesel Car. I believe that is why the Beach Road Tax was £460 compared to £220 for the normal California in the first year (Jan 2013 brochure). The July 2013 brochure lists them both at £475 for the 140 - looks like there are a few errors in the table on P25 though.

Andy

I had to pay an extra £200 for my road tax. This was explained by the dealer as a Showroom Tax recently introduced by the Government!!!. :shocked

I think Dvla say a campervan has a permanent cooker and water tank. As beach's don't have these they are taxed as cars (with a very fancy sun roof!) not campervans

For motorhomes from the 1st August if the type approval has emissions stated on it then DVLA Tax based emissions so its probable all new Calis will be taxed at the higher rate now. A 180 4 motion DSG will be £840 in first year and £475 subsequent years

Les said:
For motorhomes from the 1st August if the type approval has emissions stated on it then DVLA Tax based emissions so its probable all new Calis will be taxed at the higher rate now. A 180 4 motion DSG will be £840 in first year and £475 subsequent years

Not sure these figures are correct see link
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

According to my brochure 2013 the emissions for 180PS DSG 4 Motion are 219 ? this translates to £280 per year and £620 at first registration.

I used the DVLA look up which does quote for a 2010 model with 239 co2, new ones are blue motion so could be lower, its still a lot more than £225 a year.

Les said:
I used the DVLA look up which does quote for a 2010 model with 239 co2, new ones are blue motion so could be lower, its still a lot more than £225 a year.

Yes you are probably right, just checking before placing an order. Decisions decisions!

Back