Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isle of Mull

d38cdf37888b50a8a3701e62572b7550.jpg

It is a great spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll be passing it on our Oban to Castlebay ferry soon but not landing. Mull is now on our list for a future trip. :)

We’ll be passing it on our Oban to Castlebay ferry soon but not landing. Mull is now on our list for a future trip. :)
All booked now - Arran/Kintyre/Mull.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

@GrumpyGranddad if you’ve got time, a morning or afternoon trip from Mull to Iona is worth it. You can’t take a vehicle over to Iona unless you are a resident and there’s no need to as it’s tiny. Turquoise waters like Barra/ Vastersay.

The scenic route from Tobermory to Fionnphort (ferry port on Mull to Iona) is a bucket list drive. You may well encounter cows on the road.

@GrumpyGranddad if you’ve got time, a morning or afternoon trip from Mull to Iona is worth it. You can’t take a vehicle over to Iona unless you are a resident and there’s no need to as it’s tiny. Turquoise waters like Barra/ Vastersay.

The scenic route from Tobermory to Fionnphort (ferry port on Mull to Iona) is a bucket list drive. You may well encounter cows on the road.
Thanks @Camperfamily
Definitely plan to visit Iona and hopefully a boat trip to view Staffa. We’re based near the Fionnphort ferry for a few nights of our week on Mull - small site with just a few pitches called Catchean. Also spending some time at Salen Bay campsite. Looking forward to exploring the island.

Interested to hear highlights for Isle of Mull - planning trip there in June after Skye - stopping off at Sunnyside Croft then ferry to Tobermory - planning to stay at Fidden Farm as wanting to cross to Giants Causeway - any tips appreciated

Fidden Farm is a lovely site in a great location. Salem Bay campsite is also great. Visit to Iona to visit the abbey is worthwhile. We never made it to Sraffa due to the sea being too rough for the boat operator. The B8073 that goes past Calgary Beach is another great drive. Nice campsite at Calgary Beach too.

Confused about your crossing to the Giants Causeway @Jenny H ? Did you mean Staffa? If so I suggest you book early as the boat trips fill up quickly. Also allow some flexibility on dates as they don’t always run due to weather.

Fidden Farm is a lovely site in a great location. Salem Bay campsite is also great. Visit to Iona to visit the abbey is worthwhile. We never made it to Sraffa due to the sea being too rough for the boat operator. The B8073 that goes past Calgary Beach is another great drive. Nice campsite at Calgary Beach too.

Confused about your crossing to the Giants Causeway @Jenny H ? Did you mean Staffa? If so I suggest you book early as the boat trips fill up quickly. Also allow some flexibility on dates as they don’t always run due to weather.
Thanks for replying & yes trip to Staffa - thanks for the tip re the boats as probably wouldnt have thought to book so will get that done - did you prebook your ferry crossings too?
I'll have a look at those sites thank you.

Prebooked CalMac ferry from Oban to Mull (essential). Ferry from Finnish back to the mainland is a ‘turn up and go service’.

On bookable routes, CalMac does require a booking. There are restrictions on standby places to ensure that locals are not disadvantaged by all the tourists.

Prebooked CalMac ferry from Oban to Mull (essential). Ferry from Finnish back to the mainland is a ‘turn up and go service’.

On bookable routes, CalMac does require a booking. There are restrictions on standby places to ensure that locals are not disadvantaged by all the tourists.
Typo: Fishnish

Good to see you have Fidden Farm in your sights.
Although pitching up right at the water's edge is 200 meters from facilities is a bit of a nuisance, it's well worth it. The tiny islets within splodging distance were good fun and parking next to big wooden tables was seriously handy. There's a pretty good (but expensive) restaurant near the turnoff to the Farm (9th Wave). The guy who does front of house is the owner and a sea fisher supplying the fish. His wife is the chef and they grow their own hebs veges etc. Worth a visit but take cards :) .
I asked the farm owners why there was no EHU points and they told me they'd contemplated laying some but it would take many years to recoup the costs even if they did the manual labour themselves. Anyway, it's much 'quainter' without imho.
The site was deserted when we were there but it gets pretty busy during the summer hols I'm told.

We enjoyed the Shielings site a few years ago. If you intend on using any sort of awning don't forget to take sturdy rock pegs and an appropriate hammer. Be prepared not be upset if the pegs bend.

Last edited:
Although pitching up right at the water's edge is 200 meters from facilities is a bit of a nuisance, it's well worth it. The tiny islets within splodging distance were good fun and parking next to big wooden tables was seriously handy. There's a pretty good (but expensive) restaurant near the turnoff to the Farm (9th Wave). The guy who does front of house is the owner and a sea fisher supplying the fish. His wife is the chef and they grow their own hebs veges etc. Worth a visit but take cards :) .
I asked the farm owners why there was no EHU points and they told me they'd contemplated laying some but it would take many years to recoup the costs even if they did the manual labour themselves. Anyway, it's much 'quainter' without imho.
The site was deserted when we were there but it gets pretty busy during the summer hols I'm told.
Yes definitely going for waterside if we can as cant book! I will see how many pennies we have left as this will be our last couple of days before heading back. Thank you for the recommendation though - so much to book!!

We stayed at Port nan Gael campsite when we visited. It's a bit unusual - basically a grid system of hardstanding pitches, most of them sloping a bit, but it's right next to the sea loch with views direct across the water to Ben More. Pick the right pitch and it'll be an uninterrupted view. It's an automated check-in system (scan a QR code) and I would recommend booking. Facilities feel a bit industrial on first sight (basically big containers fitted out inside) but are actually warm and effective. There's a restaurant next to it (which I think owns the campsite) which is reasonable (nothing special though).

Comments above about the scenic route along the west coast to Tobermory are right, it's stunning, but it's a long drive on often narrow single track roads, so don't underestimate how long it takes. Don't be "that person" who won't pull over for a local (or anyone going faster). I let out a local from his house in front of me as I suspected he'd be quicker than me (he was) but he quickly got stuck behind another campervan who dawdling along, then me behind the local. Despite endless opportunities to pull over, it was 20 minutes before we eventually got past (and I got the impression the campervan pulled over because they wanted to stop, not for courtesy).

Tobermory itself is a bit chaotic (a bit like a small, Scottish version of Padstow), but if you go the sea life centre place on the harbour is worth visiting as they only have species accidentally caught locally by fisherman (which they only keep for a few weeks before returning to the sea). This means you're looking at truly local sealife, which included various fish, starfish, eels, anemones, urchins and even an octopus!

As above, definitely book the ferry if going from Oban - it was fully booked when we went. If you're stuck in Oban for a bit, there's a bizarre colosseum type structure on the hilltop overlooking the town that's worth looking at with free parking nearby (although very steep and narrow streets to get there).

The 9th Wave gets great reviews but unfortunately was closed when we were in Mull in April 2022. Prices are high as you say, about £100 per person and I believe they don’t open in the evenings which is a bit restrictive. The Keel Row in Fionnphort is a good pub and does decent food. There’s also a good Fish & Chip kiosk down by the ferry.

Oh golly I think I need another week! It all looks amazing thank you for all the tips.

If you get stuck in Oban (really not such a chore), the Pierhouse Hotel in Appin up the road is worth a visit for lunch. Delicious food, great view, very friendly place. https://pierhousehotel.co.uk/

You can't go wrong up there. Every corner unearths yet another stunning vista. Even the average restaurants you would beg to have as your local at home.

I would move there tomorrow.