Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ISOFIX SEATS?

A

Anonymous

Guest User
Original post by Blakey

In the Cali supplement (the one online) it definitely mentions ISOFIX seats in the back. But I had a look this weekend and can't find any sign.

Are these standard? I have a 2011 facelift model.

Cheers
Blakey

Original post by Andy

Just looked on Wikipedia for explanation of ISOFIX & can confirm that the additional 5th seat definitely has these, but never been aware of the rear seats having ISOFIX.

Original post by Barry

The bench seat has ISOFIX fittings for 2 child seats.

You could easily be excused for missing them.
They're tucked well away in the fold between the back and the seat of the bench. They work a treat.
My Cali is a 57 plate.
They'll definitely be there on more recent ones.

Original post by Blakey

Barry - we had a really long search for these but still can't find them. Can someone with a Facelift model confirm that they have them?

Original post by Barry

They're difficult to see and locate you know exactly where they are.

Try this: Open the back door and take out the tool box. With the tool box out you should be able to see the very simple welded-on square loops and then you can go to the front of the back seat and wiggle your fingers through and feel them.

The two located towards the midline of the van are easier to feel than the two outer ones.

Of course they might have removed them for the facelift vans (as you are suspecting) but I very much doubt that - it would be such a negative selling point?

If some facelifty person could resolve this though that would be good.

(My younger son has the van at the moment [ another week] otherwise I'd upload some photos.)

B

Original post by Californiaman

I've had a look in mine and as far as I can tell, there is one of these ISOFIX anchor points on either side of the hole for the seat belt buckles.

See he photo below - taken from above with the seat lifted up and the inset photo taken from "inside the drawer". I'm none the wiser about how you would connect a child seat (but I also don't have any children to put in one. Phewww....)

ISOFIX.jpg

Original post by Kevin

Hi Blakey - I have a new face lift Cali, Sterling Silver(Sept 2011) and a brand new Granddaughter also Sept 2011, both awesome, how lucky am I! - just checked and definately got the iso fix fittings on both sides, take a bit of finding at first - the brackets either side of the seat belt anchors fairly easy to find, put your hands in fingers up ward and about 2/3inches either side - the other points are positioned inside the seat hinge(think they're the hinges), do take a bit of finding, but certain you'll find them - great blog, doing a similiar run myself next year regards Kevin

Hi guys,

Finally got around to opening up the seats and there are definitely ISOFIX fittings on our 2011 facelift. Result!

Cheers!
Blakey

Wow - this could be really useful!

Our Maxi Cosi Cabriofix does both but putting the seatbelt on in the van is a right faff! Presume the ISOFIX base will reach the floor okay? Something else to try!

KernowLad said:

Our Maxi Cosi Cabriofix does both but putting the seatbelt on in the van is a right faff! Presume the ISOFIX base will reach the floor okay? Something else to try!

Did the cabriofix work, thats what I've got?

davefevs said:
KernowLad said:

Did the cabriofix work, thats what I've got?

Errmm - never got round to fitting it as she's grown out if it! Big PITA Britax seat now fitted!

Just been advised by my wife that my littl'un is getting too big for her Maxi Cosi...so by the time our camping holiday comes around, she'll be in a Britax which allows either Isofix or Belt.

Just wondered if anyone has successfully used the ISOfix fittings on the Cali? They seem to be too high and too far back for either of the car seats we have. We have a Britax Cosy Tot and a Britax KidFix and the arms on both of them don't appear to extend far enough back to reach the fittings. They also seem to enter the gap between the seat and the back at an angle that puts them below the hoops that they need to attach to.

Another issue is the fact that the Inka seat cover doesn't seem to have any holes that line up with the ISOfix fixings. I did actually ask them before I purchased and they said that they did have the necessary openings but, as far as I can see, they don't. Of course this could easily be remedied with a pair of scissors but there is little point if I can't get the seats to attach anyway.

I have no experience with these (no kids) but would tilting the seat back slightly make any difference ?

Thanks Andy. I'll have a play again tomorrow but I did try quite a few combinations.

markh said:
Thanks Andy. I'll have a play again tomorrow but I did try quite a few combinations.

ISO FIX definately fit ok, had my grandaughters base in several times recently, reaches the floor ok, but definately had to fold the INCA seat cover back, simple enough.

Kevin

Hi all,

New to this forum but am just about to take delivery of a new Cali SE (having just taken delivery of my 2 week old son! ;-) does anyone know if the 2-seat bench in the SE has ISOFIX or are you all talking about the 3-seat bench in the beach?

Cheers,
Guy.

Hi congratulations on your new baby :thumb the se does have isofix as far as I know

Yup - after the showroom phoned the factory and was told it didn't, it turned up and it did! Can confirm that they are tricky to find mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually found these at the Westfalia 2 person rear seat in our 2001 T4 California (facelift). So guess there could be hope out there for some of the T4 owners as well.

You see the center part of the seat belt coming down on the left.

4 of them. One on each side, and 2 in the middle, on each side of the seat belt fasteners.

uploadfromtaptalk1386358723383.jpg

They are present as standard, but hard to find & use. This is because most people don't want metal loops sticking in their backs, when the bed is down. They're located actually behind the seat, where the back meets the base, by the seatbelt points.

We've a rear-facing child seat, a BeSafe Izi-Kid isofix and I can confirm this fits in the rear. However it works much better in the 5th seat and I'd recommend this option to anyone. Note, it's not an infant carrier, but for children up to 4 years old (see http://http://www.rearfacing.co.uk if you think rear facing is a faff)

7utuzevy.jpg

Ben loves his "Starship Enterprise seat" in the Cali

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you folks. Just used this thread four years on to help me find my Isofix mounts. What a gold mine this forum is!

I can add that I found them in my T5 2011 SE, but because the iso-fix brackets are so well tucked away, it depends on your childseat whether it's hard or real hard to install the seat. We have 2 different child seats. One where hooks on strings connnect to the isofix brackets. The installation of that one goes rather easily, when you've done it a couple of times. The other child seat has rigid connectors and was a real hard job to connect. Because the rigid connectors of the seat end up below the isofix bracket when pushed through the bench, I needed to use a flathead screwdriver to force the connectors upwards (to horizontal) so they would reach the isofix brackets. It worked, but took the two of us about 10 minutes the first time.

Hey!
we have a t6 beach and the isofix is really tucket inside the bench seat, almost invisible. Very hard to access and click in our Britax Romer seat.
I found out that the trick is to insert it somehow from the top, not a horizontal slide in as I was used to in our Skoda.

We have a Britax Römer seat and found the best way to connect the IsoFix is to pull the seat forward and lay the back down as far as is convenient. Then the loops are easier to locate and the cushion pressure is released. Then once connected, just reset to the seat back and position the bench seat where you want it.

I did notice on the latest T6, the rear seat upholstery has now been modified with the standard IsoFix guides. Shame it took VW so long to do this.

Alan