Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

IsoTop VI fitting tips

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi everyone

We are due to take delivery of a new Isotop VI on Monday next week to fit in our new T6.1 Ocean (thus, electric roof, opening panoramic window at the front).

I have read many threads talking about the fact they can be tricky to fit and the instructions are next to useless.

Any tips from anyone?

From what I have read it sounds like you;

Make sure it is warm enough (18c apparently?!)
Clean the aluminium surfaces with the wipes provided
wipe the aluminium with the adhesive promotor pad provided
stick the velcro on
put the velcro card things in at the top of the roof at the front
WAIT 2 days
attach isotop (do you start at top or bottom for best fit??)

Thanks

Hi everyone

We are due to take delivery of a new Isotop VI on Monday next week to fit in our new T6.1 Ocean (thus, electric roof, opening panoramic window at the front).

I have read many threads talking about the fact they can be tricky to fit and the instructions are next to useless.

Any tips from anyone?

From what I have read it sounds like you;

Make sure it is warm enough (18c apparently?!)
Clean the aluminium surfaces with the wipes provided
wipe the aluminium with the adhesive promotor pad provided
stick the velcro on
put the velcro card things in at the top of the roof at the front
WAIT 2 days
attach isotop (do you start at top or bottom for best fit??)

Thanks
I wouldn't bother about waiting 2 days - Ive fitted 3 isotops & never waited & yet to have the velcro peel.
Having said that I've fitted them , then put roof down, not left it up for a week straight after.

Do make sure you clean the surfaces with the wipe.
Make sure the roof is fully up with no sagging.
I attach top rear corners first , then bottom at the rear, attach top front loosely to the bottom of the hanging tabs to give you some slack, then bottom all round, then top all round.
As its all velcro, no need to do up really tight at first attempt, you can always re-adjust later.

Hardest bit will be getting the hanging tabs into the join in the headliner.

If you can, open the panoramic front of the roof, the fumes from the cleaner & glue accelerator will get to you otherwise.

Perfect, thanks for the tips. We collect the van on Wednesday next week so I am hoping that this mini heatwave continues and the weather will be kind enough to let us install everything in decent temperatures (and mean we can have the front window open)

Forgot to say, its worth marking the exact centre of the rear of the roof & the same on the Isotop, getting that lined up means you stand a much better chance of a decent fit.

"Hardest bit will be getting the hanging tabs into the join in the headliner".
This is definitely what we found hardest . Instead of using a credit card as suggested by some we found that a plastic £20 bank note or similar was best as it was more slippy and took up less room - i.e. was easier to get between the tab and the headliner and it significantly reduced the friction when pushing in the tabs

"Hardest bit will be getting the hanging tabs into the join in the headliner".
This is definitely what we found hardest . Instead of using a credit card as suggested by some we found that a plastic £20 bank note or similar was best as it was more slippy and took up less room - i.e. was easier to get between the tab and the headliner and it significantly reduced the friction when pushing in the tabs
Agree with this. It’s really not a problem using a bank note. The rest of it is super easy once you work out where each piece of Velcro goes. You can’t really get it wrong and as has been said, It’s Velcro so can be easily respositioned. I worked in a circle starting front drivers side hanging the top part first when I got to the back I tucked the corners under but continued doing just the top till I got all the way around, I then moved to the remainder of the bottom. I am sure it’s not perfect but to my eye it is and only took one go. I was super paranoid and for no real reason as it turned out.

Forgot to say, its worth marking the exact centre of the rear of the roof & the same on the Isotop, getting that lined up means you stand a much better chance of a decent fit.
Just resurrecting this thread.

We bought the MK VI Isotop and have been fitting it this week in the warmer weather. All going well fitting the Velcro etc following the excellent video from @Californiatime @CampervanTime

However, I’m now a fitting the actual canvas and it appears too short by about 60mm. I’ve tried starting at the front and working backward. Also starting at the back working forwards. Both times it’s just too short.

I’ve stretched it as much as I can (but there’s not much give in it anyway) and I can’t get it to fit.

Any ideas…? I ordered the version for the electric roof.

Last edited:
Just resurrecting this thread.

We bought the MK VI Isotop and have been fitting it this week in the warmer weather. All going well fitting the Velcro etc following the excellent video from @Californiatime @CampervanTime

However, I’m now a fitting the actual canvas and it appears too short by about 60mm. I’ve tried starting at the front and working backward. Also starting at the back working forwards. Both times it’s just too short.

I’ve stretched it as much as I can (but there’s not much give in it anyway) and I can’t get it to fit.

Any ideas…? I ordered the version for the electric roof.
i can confirm that no stretching is/should be required, if comfortably fits from both the front and back on mine