Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isotop

Might be worth doing a search as there many, many posts on the subject.
Basically it offers additional insulation and helps keep any moisture out if the outer canvas gets wet. Also makes it darker inside.

New to Calis, why would you need an Isotop ? Is it just an inner liner - what is it’s purpose ?
Thanks
Hello Rowls1958,
It keeps the upstairs cooler in the summer, much warmer in the winter, dry all year round as it's a Gortex type material and it is also very effective at keeping the draught out. It also makes the upper deck dark which is good otherwise the light, either artificial or natural will keep you or yours awake. One further thing the standard T6 canvas is almost transparent if back lit so be warned. Not sure about the T6-1.
The Isotop is expensive but worth avery penny IMO. I'm on my third Cali and had them in every van so far.

Waterproof, warmer, darker, easy of use - especially when it's already raining when you arrive, can lower a wet roof without making mattress wet when you leave.

Hello Rowls1958,
It keeps the upstairs cooler in the summer, much warmer in the winter, dry all year round as it's a Gortex type material and it is also very effective at keeping the draught out. It also makes the upper deck dark which is good otherwise the light, either artificial or natural will keep you or yours awake. One further thing the standard T6 canvas is almost transparent if back lit so be warned. Not sure about the T6-1.
The Isotop is expensive but worth avery penny IMO. I'm on my third Cali and had them in every van so far.
Thanks, any recommended makes ?

Thanks, any recommended makes ?
As far as I am aware you currently have a choice of only one manufacturer, Brandrup. The Isotop is their name for their internal liner. The shop sells them. Pay a the subscription and become a VIP member and that entitles you to discount from the club shop. The discount should more than cover the VIP membership fee.

As @Borris mentioned ISOTOP is a Brandrup product and sold in the club shop. But the club shop also has a similar product.
I think this is now ‘DID have a similar product’. I think the ‘own brand’ version has been dropped.

How comes VW doesn't fit these as standard or incorporate within the roof and do all the roofs up to the 6.1 require an Isotop fitting (assuming they fixed it at least for the 6.1) if the roof is going to truly function properly? Plus if you had a Dec 19 Ocean which one of the shop ones would be best for the job https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...oof-insulation-covers/roof-insulation-toppers
Thanks Scoobz

Very much a newbie question.....(picking up first Cali at the weekend!)

Would you use both an ISOTOP and Rainbow poptop cover at the sametime?

*just looking at the various accessories we're likely to need* ;)

How comes VW doesn't fit these as standard or incorporate within the roof and do all the roofs up to the 6.1 require an Isotop fitting (assuming they fixed it at least for the 6.1) if the roof is going to truly function properly? Plus if you had a Dec 19 Ocean which one of the shop ones would be best for the job https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...oof-insulation-covers/roof-insulation-toppers
Thanks Scoobz
None of the roofs "require" an Internal lining. However you might find one desirable once you have used the top bed.

Very much a newbie question.....(picking up first Cali at the weekend!)

Would you use both an ISOTOP and Rainbow poptop cover at the sametime?

*just looking at the various accessories we're likely to need* ;)
There’s no reason why you couldn’t use both but unless it was extremely cold there wouldn’t be much point.
I have a topper which I have used for years but recently fitted the Isotop. I intend to hang on to the topper for when the weather is really wet as although the isotop will stop the wet getting inside it will not stop the canvas getting wet. So the topper will be there as a extra layer of protection and insulation if needed.

Hi Rowls1958, you have some excellent advise from very experienced Cali owners above. There are lots of things about Cali use that come down to personal preference and experience, so before buying all the extras go out and use your Cali first. We camp all year round and sleep up top when ever possible and have not yet found the need for an internal or external topper. I like to keep things simple, I prefer to be able to monitor the roof from inside when closing to prevent expensive damage to the fabric, easy access to window zips for opening when the sun rises, and have not experienced any wet inside even after closing in heavy rain. Lastly the cost of these extras pay for a lot of campsite fees so just get out and enjoy your Cali, have adventures and work out what you really need.
Cheers Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin, brilliant advice and that’s exactly what I intend to do...Really appreciate all the views though, as said it does come down to personal preference but at least now I have the benefit of you guys experience.
When someone mentioned an external topper I nearly had a meltdown !!!!! However, I understand it is just an external waterproof insulated “jacket” ?!! Wow, I have a lot to learn !

There’s no reason why you couldn’t use both but unless it was extremely cold there wouldn’t be much point.
I have a topper which I have used for years but recently fitted the Isotop. I intend to hang on to the topper for when the weather is really wet as although the isotop will stop the wet getting inside it will not stop the canvas getting wet. So the topper will be there as a extra layer of protection and insulation if needed.
I think you are one of the few that owns both. You have used the topper a lot, I think you are well positioned to give an unbiased factual and honest comparison between the two.
Let's assume you'd have a Cali with the new really waterproof pop up tent. You get to choose either ISOTOP or any topper, regardless of cost. Which one would you then now pick and why please, if you don't mind ? Thanks!

I think you are one of the few that owns both. You have used the topper a lot, I think you are well positioned to give an unbiased factual and honest comparison between the two.
Let's assume you'd have a Cali with the new really waterproof pop up tent. You get to choose either ISOTOP or any topper, regardless of cost. Which one would you then now pick and why please, if you don't mind ? Thanks!
Isotop every time. Once you've fitted it you can forget it. There's no faffing about with an external liner. If the canvas does get wet then so what. Just pop the roof up when the weather improves and let it dry out. I also have a external topper but have rarely used it. That's because it's not that easy to put on and if you have an Isotop you don't really need it.

See how you get on first but I think you will soon want an Isotop once you have experienced the standard canvas on a cold windy night.

Last edited:
I am using my wife's mobile and the wretched thing has predictive text which alters every thing I am writing. So forgive me if some things don'the make any sense.

Isotop every time. Once you'very fitted it you can forget it. There'should no faffing about with an external topper in the dark and rain. If the canvas does get wet then so what. Just pop the roof up when the weather improves and let it dry out. I also have a topper but have rarely used it. That'said because it's not that easy to put on and if you have an Isotop you don't really need it.

See how you get on first but I think you will soon want an Isotop once you have experienced the standard canvas on a cold windy night.
Thanks Borris, I have already experienced some chilled nights last year , around 7-10 degrees C. The difference of temp upstairs to downstairs is obvious. I am well equipped to produce heat either diesel or electric, but the point I am determined to solve now is preventing (or slowing) the heat to escape. And I hate faffing, especially under rain. So Isotop it will be

I havent used an external topper but I have to admit I used my isotop for the first time in anger on last years Denmark trip. 3 weeks with temperatures ranging from 40c at the start in Germany to single figures in the last week.

The isotop was a gem, quieter, darker, warmer (or cooler), I wished I had got one when the van was new now. Even the heater works easier because the heat isnt being wicked through the canvas by any breeze.

If I was on a budget then I may go for an external one, but if cost isnt a big factor the isotop wins all day long for me. The only off putting thing in the beach is drilling the plastic liner but its easy to do, and on the ocean you dont need to drill at all so even better!

If the beach install doesnt put you off the Ocean one is even easier. If anyone fits one we would appreciate any footage of the tab install to make our info complete.

Last edited:

Thanks for your helpful reply.

The concern is for our two wee bairns of 11 and 9 who have loved sleeping uptop. Although being that age they're really non too bothered, its us parents that are the worriers. :D So its just getting something that offers more warmth and reducing the condensation too. So thanks again for your reply. :thumb

IF the new canvas is properly waterproof and doesn't get saturated I wouldn't bother with either.
My main reason for wanting the topper or Isotop was to stop the canvas getting soaked.
We tend to sleep downstairs due to comfort so the insulation aspect was secondary. If the weather is really bad with wind and rain we just don't put the roof up.
Having said that if I had to choose one it would be the Isotop, purely for convenience.
Best bet is to see how you get on without either first.

The concern is for our two wee bairns of 11 and 9 who have loved sleeping uptop. Although being that age they're really non too bothered, its us parents that are the worriers. :D So its just getting something that offers more warmth and reducing the condensation too. So thanks again for your reply. :thumb
Sunstoner, if you are ever near Coventry let me know, happy to show you my isotop.

We sleep upstairs only and its made the whole van more comfy, and stops the moisture leeching through when the canvas is wet and you touch it in your sleep.

I don't think any insulation will help with condensation as if anything it will reduce the airflow. Ventilation and the heater are the only way to keep it dry!

Sunstoner, if you are ever near Coventry let me know, happy to show you my isotop.

We sleep upstairs only and its made the whole van more comfy, and stops the moisture leeching through when the canvas is wet and you touch it in your sleep.
If the Isotop touches the inside of the wet canvas doesn't that cause moisture to leech, albeit not past the inner Isotop?