Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Issue Wiring Solar

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Odd question

I am running the cables from the Victron to the leisure batteries.

I did this previously, no issues. I changed the terminal ends and was pulling them through again tonight.

There was a big bang from inside the panel behind the wardrobe when I ran the earth cable. Thought I imagined it.

Same thing happened when I pulled the positive lead through.

Occurred when the wire was running roughly in front of the section under the wardrobe ie between where the gas/water tank and area where the Lb sits under the wardrobe.

They are wired into the Victron, but the Victron is not wired to the solar panels - ie no PV in connected.

The wires are not connected to the leisure battery.

What on earth could cause this? Am I missing something?

No fuses blown nothing damaged.

I don't know this system but I would guess that the Victron has some internal capacitors that were in a charged state and that the wires shorted them. If that is the case the capacitors will not have enjoyed the experience. So maybe worth checking that everything works as intended once fully wired in. If running wires through a vehicle I would get the cables runs in place before making any connections to either battery or controller.

I don't know this system but I would guess that the Victron has some internal capacitors that were in a charged state and that the wires shorted them. If that is the case the capacitors will not have enjoyed the experience. So maybe worth checking that everything works as intended once fully wired in. If running wires through a vehicle I would get the cables runs in place before making any connections to either battery or controller.
I completely agree re cable runs. That’s exactly what I had done. Then I was fussing over shrink tube insulating the crimp connectors to the battery.

I pulled them through, sorted the crimped ends.

I was a bit rushed / kids etc and didn’t disconnect the Victron ends.

Now I get what made the pop / charged capacitors. Thank you for solving this mystery!

wrap the wire ends (or crimp connectors) in PVC electrical insulating tape before you pull them, they may be shorting out on something else you can't see!

wrap the wire ends (or crimp connectors) in PVC electrical insulating tape before you pull them, they may be shorting out on something else you can't see!
Viel danke - I think that is exactly what’s happening, as it was in the same place both times.

No load going through them, no electrics damaged. Just a big pop and some head scratching!

Back