Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Issues with new ocean

Kevintube1979

Kevintube1979

Kevpb
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
After recently taking delivery of my new Cali ocean it has been plagued with minor issues and I’m seriously thinking my purchase was a big mistake .... firstly the awning leg got stuck open on our first trip I had to “engineer” it to close it unfortunately the dealer can’t replicate it (I’ve not used it since) the tailgate with an empty bike rack on does not stay up (quite dangerous) and the bike rack itself opens with a thud if you go over 60 mph...has anybody else experienced this or have I just got a bad one ?

Bike rack -- mine did that once.

Eventually I realised that the slidy wheel connection things were in the wrong spot

They were abutting the vertical bar meaning it didn't close tight.

It was a big thud and quite surprising!

Worth checking

After recently taking delivery of my new Cali ocean it has been plagued with minor issues and I’m seriously thinking my purchase was a big mistake .... firstly the awning leg got stuck open on our first trip I had to “engineer” it to close it unfortunately the dealer can’t replicate it (I’ve not used it since) the tailgate with an empty bike rack on does not stay up (quite dangerous) and the bike rack itself opens with a thud if you go over 60 mph...has anybody else experienced this or have I just got a bad one ?
In what way was the leg stuck open, and what did you do to engineer it shut?

Thanks for that I shall have a look

In what way was the leg stuck open, and what did you do to engineer it shut?
Awning fully open, leg extended, when I tried to put the awning away the clip that you use to operate the leg opened however the leg stayed in the extended state and wouldn’t budge so I used my Swiss Army knife to pry (is that a real word?) the mechanism open ...I had to do that a number of times on that first trip

The bike rack has a strap to secure it?
The tailgate must have the wrong rams fitted.the California one will hold a bike rack up no problem normally.

The bike rack has a strap to secure it?
The tailgate must have the wrong rams fitted.the California one will hold a bike rack up no problem normally.
No strap on my bike rack ...it’s the Vw one ?...yes I think perhaps faulty struts or the wrong ones ...on a £70k vehicle !

Awning fully open, leg extended, when I tried to put the awning away the clip that you use to operate the leg opened however the leg stayed in the extended state and wouldn’t budge so I used my Swiss Army knife to pry (is that a real word?) the mechanism open ...I had to do that a number of times on that first trip
How far did you wind the awning back in before unlocking the leg? And how much had you extended the leg?

No strap on my bike rack ...it’s the Vw one ?...yes I think perhaps faulty struts or the wrong ones ...on a £70k vehicle !
Use The straps for the bike wheels
That’s how you do it .
And yep I agree get back to where you purchased it and tell them you need the correct struts
Not on really is it on such a valued vehicle

How far did you wind the awning back in before unlocking the leg? And how much had you extended the leg?
I attempted to de-extend the leg when the awning was fully extended ..the leg was fully extended if I remember rightly ...

I attempted to de-extend the leg when the awning was fully extended ..the leg was fully extended if I remember rightly ...
I think those are your problems. The awning needs supporting by the legs if it’s open by more than about half a metre. The leg doesn’t usually need to be extended to its maximum (unless you are really tall!). I suspect it got jammed under the pressure. It’s appalling that the dealer didn’t explain all of these things on handover.

check the clips that hold the bike rack up are fitted in the correct place . if not they don't go fully 'home' when up.

Use The straps for the bike wheels
That’s how you do it .
And yep I agree get back to where you purchased it and tell them you need the correct struts
Not on really is it on such a valued vehicle
Yes thanks for that however I’ve tried using the straps but they don’t reach ....so I’m using a tree tie as a temporary fix that will probably turn in to a permanent fix as it’s impoosible to replicate when the van is stationary ...pretty poor I think for such an expensive item

Hi Kevin, when the bike is closed I use one of the arms to clamp on to a wheel racks, if I recall it was the shortest arm.

Hi Kevin, when the bike is closed I use one of the arms to clamp on to a wheel racks, if I recall it was the shortest arm.
Hello Moose yes I thought that but the shortest one does not reach and the others are too long

check the clips that hold the bike rack up are fitted in the correct place . if not they don't go fully 'home' when up.
I can only assume they are in the right place (brand new rack) and the rack appears to clips in quite well it just does not hold at 60mph

I think those are your problems. The awning needs supporting by the legs if it’s open by more than about half a metre. The leg doesn’t usually need to be extended to its maximum (unless you are really tall!). I suspect it got jammed under the pressure. It’s appalling that the dealer didn’t explain all of these things on handover.
Yes i was holding the top half of the legs so no pressure on the catch mechanism at all I think just a faulty mechanism but typically the dealer cant replicate,i will call VW assist when it happens next time :rolleyes:

I use the short arm on the bike rack having had it come open on it's own once.

I seem to remember it fits if you rotate the head and clamp the top bar of the bike rack from below, i.e. mouth of the clamp facing upwards.

I think that, given the price of these vehicles, there could be a better solution than the commercial dealers as some of these things could be better explained at handover.

I use the short arm on the bike rack having had it come open on it's own once.

I seem to remember it fits if you rotate the head and clamp the top bar of the bike rack from below, i.e. mouth of the clamp facing upwards.

I think that, given the price of these vehicles, there could be a better solution than the commercial dealers as some of these things could be better explained at handover.
Thats interesting I will give it a go....Thanks and yes a proper handover would probably help

Bike rack

I had my bike rack descend once on a Spanish motorway - quite alarming. I think it was due to a child hanging off it earlier in the day, and it not being closed properly.

To close properly
  • push all eight wheel ramps to the extreme ends of the rails
  • close the rack fully
  • secure the rack in the closed position with the short arm clamp, jaws facing down

Thanks ...that certainly looks like the same rack as mine I shall give that a go:bananadance2

Bike rack issue.....only once for me also, and same as described above i.e. one of the wheel brackets was sightly in the way and didn't allow the rack to fully secure.

Not had to secure it with anything else, i just make sure its closed correctly.

Not had to secure it with anything else, i just make sure its closed correctly.
If it is correctly closed I think the chances of it dropping are very low, but securing it with the short arm is a habit I’m pleased to have developed- it can’t do any harm and reduces a very low chance even further.

Thanks for that Amarillo...

Back