Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It happened - next phase

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Good afternoon,

Following up from my previous posts I would like to give a short update.

The Pandora Camper Mini was installed, but the sensors protecting the windows didn't stick reliable on the windows and fell off. Obviously that caused false alarms (of course at 1 am in the morning - my poor neighbours). I have an appointment tomorrow at 10 am to get this fixed. Hopefully the alarm will work more reliable.

That would sort out one item of our "Grand California to do list". :thumb

Today I collected the camper from the company that did the wrapping for us. With very, very small exceptions I am very happy how it turned out. I will put some pictures of the new camper design into this post.

That would sort out one item of our "Grand California to do list". :thumb

I didn't plan it, but I finally decided to put some carpets into the cabine and living area. To make the process easier I will see that I can order them in the UK (not looking forward to this - tax and vat issues). Ordering from Europe would be easier, but on the continent they drive on the wrong side and therefore I am not sure if I will get the correct carpets. ;)

So, that is all for the moment here are some pictures... stop before I forget. The few recent posts from new owners of a Grand California were very helpful. It showed me that I was not alone and did not buy a "lemon". I must admit I was a bit upset. So thank you for all the replies and comments from my post to keep going - they were helpful.

But now here are the pictures...

Happy Grand California,
EberhardDSC01722_resize.JPGDSC01723_resize.JPGDSC01726_resize.JPGDSC01729_resize.JPGDSC01732_resize.JPG

Nice wrapping and what are your next steps or camping ideas? Enjoy although it sounds like there are more items on your list

Nice wrapping and what are your next steps or camping ideas? Enjoy although it sounds like there are more items on your list
Well, the list certainly gets shorter. As mentioned the car alarm needs to be sorted, but that is tomorrow. I am concerned about the water pressure, but we will test this next week. I just had a look to see where I could get carpets, but funny enough that seems not straightforward. I contacted a few companies, hopefully they will reply soon.

From camping point of view we planned only a few weekends, because my wife's holiday is over. The next bigger trip is from the end of May in 2022 our trip through Scandinavia (which was planned now for almost 3x years).

After that hopefully we do a Europe trip again, mainly "drifting" down to Romania. I have heard so much about their wonderful landscape. And after that we plan our 7 or 8 months in Canada and USA.

Happy traveling Grand California
Eberhard

Hello,

Another update of the endless "Grand California Saga".

Carpet
I contacted 3x VW dealer in the Dublin area (to be sure, to be sure) to see if they can get the "VW Premium Carpet Mat Set". They couldn't.
So I contacted a VW Commercial Dealer in Northern Ireland. Email communication was great and they were very helpful. Now the carpet is ordered.

Dimmed down Radio
In the past I had problems that the radio, middle part of the dashboard and the LED lights of the buttons were dimmed down to almost black.
VW exchanged the radio (which came from Germany) and issue was solved.
Because of family reasons I haven't used the van a lot. But the few times I did it worked. Today starting the van and the radio and other parts as mentioned above were dimmed again :headbang

It sucks! I rang VW and they said "... it could take a while to get that sorted ...". Well an honest answer but not what I wanted to hear. We planned to go to Waterford over the weekend...

Unhappy Grand California
Eberhard

Looks great.

You're going to need to get a bigger garage door? ;)

Eberhard,

you seem to be to be the most unluckiest GC owner on this forum, we all have had issues with one thing or another but you unfortunately have had everyone’s share. Might be worth emailing Germany with a list of issues. See what comes of it if anything.

Will

Eberhard,

you seem to be to be the most unluckiest GC owner on this forum, we all have had issues with one thing or another but you unfortunately have had everyone’s share. Might be worth emailing Germany with a list of issues. See what comes of it if anything.

Will
Hello Jester,

I am just back from my VW dealer.

I cannot see that anything of the issues is a fault from the VW dealer (which I mentioned to him several times). The product they sold has problems.

I spoke to the Service Manager and said that we have no option but to go through the process and see how it goes. If in the near future something like this happens again, I suggest I will 1.) contact my solicitor to clearly learn about my rights, 2.) contact the bank (at the end they really own the vehicle), 3.) contact VW Ireland and Germany and will contact the Irish Independent (campers are such a big thing at the moment, they might be interested to hear what can go wrong).

We might be able to give the Grand California back, but where does that leave us? Of course they try to take as much money away as possible (1,500 km driven), etc. Our Ocean is sold and not available anymore and we get a few tenthousend Euros back. But even if we would consider to buy something else, what and where and when?

It is a bit messy.

Eberhard

PS
VW dealer just rang to ask who installed the car alarm. It looks like they try to push the issue of the broken unit to the installation of the car alarm and let us pay for the replacement unit. :headbang

God my heart goes out to you, could there be an option to exchange for another, if your brave enough. Think you have 3 months, not sure how long you have had it.

Just an update.

Late this afternoon I got a phone call from my VW dealer, giving me an update about the repair.

Now 2x controllers need to be swapped out. One the same one as the first time and a new one (I wonder how many electronic controllers are in the GC?).

The good news is that the one controller is on stock, the bad news is that the other controller is on back order - meaning nobody knows when the part will arriave.

So it could be that the camper is off the road for another weeks to come.

I don't know what to say .... speechless. :headbang:headbang:headbang

Broken Grand California
Eberhard

I just wanted to have these post not properly wrapped up. :)

Tuesday I got a phone call saying that all the parts have arrived and that they already started the installation. They will test the setup tomorrow and they will let me know when the camper can be collected.

I did not expect that, because of the lack of availability of one controller. But hey, I won't complain about this one now.

Wednesday before lunch I collected the GC 600 and everything seems to be fine.

Thursday I drove to Northern Ireland to collected the carpets I ordered from VW UK. The round trip was about 400 km and I had no problems.

Tomorrow we are gone for one night to Waterford and see how that goes. Also we plan to get out as much as possible, including a trip to Frankfurt in October.

If there are more issues slumbering in the deep darkness of the Grand California I hope they show their face so we can deal with it in the weeks and months to come with the goal in mind that the camper gets more reliable, ready for the things to come.

Under surveillance Grand California
Eberhard

I’ve found your various posts really interesting @Eber123 as it could of been me, albeit a different campervan. We sold our Cali recently to buy a 5.40 panel van on a Ducato that broke down after 59 miles on our way home from collection. We hung in for 2 weeks whilst Fiat tried to determine what the problem was. Finally we rejected the van as per our consumer rights and earlier this week had our money refunded. There were times when we thought we’d keep it, but deep down we knew it was a wrong’un. We have just put a deposit down on a new 5.4 van which if we’re lucky we will get next July. So after all the previous lockdowns getting in the way we’ve now had more plans and trips trashed. So take heart that things have improved for you and you’ll soon be racking up the miles. The van looks great by the way, have a great time In it.

Good afternoon,

The GC 600 is back since about 1 1/2 weeks and so far everything is working. I can't fault the VW dealer they tried their best to get things sorted.

Last week we went to Waterford and this week (Friday / Saturday) we went to Slieve Bloom Mountains, Glenbarrow area.

If everything is working the GC is a fine vehicle. Driving those narrow roads is possible, but with all the trees one always have to have an eye out for lower hanging branches.

I collected the velour carpet in Northern Ireland (I am happy with the carpet), my wife ordered a smaller table (Calicap.de). I hope it will arrive in 1 1/2 weeks. Can't wait. If that is done, the "to-do list" is finally done.

After a very difficult start owning the Grand California it seems to quieten down now (hopefully).

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

The GC 600 is back since about 1 1/2 weeks and so far everything is working. I can't fault the VW dealer they tried their best to get things sorted.

Last week we went to Waterford and this week (Friday / Saturday) we went to Slieve Bloom Mountains, Glenbarrow area.

If everything is working the GC is a fine vehicle. Driving those narrow roads is possible, but with all the trees one always have to have an eye out for lower hanging branches.

I collected the velour carpet in Northern Ireland (I am happy with the carpet), my wife ordered a smaller table (Calicap.de). I hope it will arrive in 1 1/2 weeks. Can't wait. If that is done, the "to-do list" is finally done.

After a very difficult start owning the Grand California it seems to quieten down now (hopefully).

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Glad to see you are happier with your purchase (from an ex-Kilcock girls school pupil now residing in Somerset )

Best wishes for some trouble-free good times with your GC600 Eberhard. You've earned them.

Good afternoon,

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Morning Eberhard,

I know you will love the carpet as it adds extra insulation, I also have them in the cab with the rubber ones over the top.

pleased you have your van back hopefully you are over the issues and things from now on will be plain sailing..

happy camping

Will

Hello,

Unfortunately there is news again.

On a trip to Sligo the dimmed radio, dashboard etc. came up again. The third time. Driving home from Sligo without decent information wasn't that nice. I don't want that to happen to be very remote in Scandinavia or Romania etc.

Since Monday morning the camper is with the VW dealer. It seems that they have no idea what causes the issue. What they have done was to remove the dashcamp power cable (installed by them) and asked the company out who installed the Pandora Camper Alarm to de-install it. Since then communication with the VW dealer is, that they blame the car alarm causing the issue. That the car alarm was not installed the first time it happened seems not to be of relevantes.

If VW insists that the car alarm is the cause of the issue, I am sure they will try to reclaim the money for the previous repairs. So far 3x Controller boards were changed and hours of hours of manpower put into the search for the issue. That will cost at least EUR 5 - 6 K. Because I don't have this kind of money lying around the camper has to be sold, which is the end of that.

At the moment I am sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring with some feedback from VW. The main information for me is that they confirm that the installation of the none standard alarm is not responsible for the problems. Everything else we can deal with in the days and weeks to come. Have I said that, we planned to go to Germany on the 24th of October.

It is a mess.
Eberhard

New step of the "neverending story"

I got a phone call from the Service Manager of my VW dealer. He confirmed that neither the power cable of the dash cam nor the Pandora Camper Mini car alarm is responsible for the electronic issues I experienced now for the third time.

That in itself was very good news (I am not spoiled at the moment).

VW Ireland has recommended (I believe more they told the VW dealer) to change the same two controllers again. Even the VW dealer doesn't see any sense in this.

On Monday I spoke to the VW dealer and expressed my disappointment and "nicely suggested" to exchange the Grand California 600 (they have still two GC 600 available). Also I send an official complaint to VW Ireland explaining the situation and ask to get the GC 600 exchanged.

At the moment I wait for the Service Manager to get back to me to tell me when the two controllers will be in Ireland and I am waiting for VW Ireland getting back to me (I wonder how long that will take).

So it continues ...
Eberhard

Blimey you have the worst luck ever!
I would push for that swap, maybe have a chat with citizens advice and see what legal stance you have.

Sorry to bring this up again, but there is a bit of news about my GC 600.

Since the 13/09/2021 the camper was back with my VW dealer. It took 3x days to come to the conclusion that:

1.) The additional power cable to the dashcam seems not the reason for the problem
2.) The Pandora Camper Mini car alarm seems not the reason for the problem (I come back to this later)
3.) VW Ireland said that the same controller boards need to be changed

I am starting to have no words for all of this...

On Monday 27/09/2021 the VW dealer rang to say that the parts arrived. This is what they did:

1.) Changed the BCM
2.) Changed the gateway (?)
3.) Changed the Emergency Call Unit (I've been told that in no Crafter or GC in Ireland ever got the Emergency Call Unit changed)
4.) A VW Field Engineer did a complete and final check of the camper

There was a bit of a delay, but on Wednesday I was able to collect the camper. The delay was because of the Emergency Call Unit took much longer to replace as they expected.

At the moment everything seems to work. I told the Service Manager if it happens again I will clear out the van, put all manuals and parts into the camper and leave it in the forecourt and request a replacement.

Going forward we agreed to the following:

1.) Leave the power cable for the dashcam disconnected for the next 2x weeks. (It will be connected back on the 13/10/2021 before we travel to Germany)
2.) When we are back from Germany the Pandora car alarm will be re-connected, but in VW dealers workshop. He want to be be there and check everything what they do.
3.) If it happens again the camper will be replaced (without naming conditions)

I hope that the issue is sorted and that there are no further problems on the way to Frankfurt. Also I don't fancy to much to negotiate the change of the camper. I get vipes that they won't deduct any money from the old one, but I believe it only when I see the paperwork.

Now the rain has stopped and I can go out to the camper to take a picture of the left (passenger side) back, black cover. There is a scratch from one end to the other. Not deep, but noticeable. That was not there before. My VW dealer will be delighted....

Happy confused, sad, hopeful Grand California
Eberhard

In New Zealand, all products have to be 'fit for purpose' by law. What that means is that it doesn't matter whether there is a warranty or no warranty, a newly purchased product has to do the job that the consumer expects it to do. Otherwise, it has to be replaced with one that does the meet the expectations of the buyer or the purchase price refunded. The Consumer Guarantees Act applies to everything, including motor vehicles.
It's my far-off hope, Eberhard, that Ireland also has a similar law on its books...

In New Zealand, all products have to be 'fit for purpose' by law. What that means is that it doesn't matter whether there is a warranty or no warranty, a newly purchased product has to do the job that the consumer expects it to do. Otherwise, it has to be replaced with one that does the meet the expectations of the buyer or the purchase price refunded. The Consumer Guarantees Act applies to everything, including motor vehicles.
It's my far-off hope, Eberhard, that Ireland also has a similar law on its books...

Hello Scribbler939,

Thank you for your reply.

Ireland has something similar, but ... as far as I know the VW dealer would be entitled to deduct from the sales price the km / milage driven, potential damage / repair on the vehicle and loss of value. I don't know the details but it could come up to EUR 6K or maybe more - and I can't afford that.

I rely on the VW dealer and VW Ireland to be fair enough and change it one-to-one. It might happen, but it is not sure.

In a few moments we are off to the West Coast (Galway area) for the first test drive after the massive repair.

Hopeful Grand California,
Eberhard

Back