Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Italy emission sticker

I

ianevans

Using the Green Zone app, it is pretty obvious where you need stickers for the cities in the rest of Europe, but I see nothing for Italy. Nor can I find anything online. Does anyone have any ideas if you need an emission sticker for Italy, and if so where you can buy one ahead of the trip.

Thanks!

Using the Green Zone app, it is pretty obvious where you need stickers for the cities in the rest of Europe, but I see nothing for Italy. Nor can I find anything online. Does anyone have any ideas if you need an emission sticker for Italy, and if so where you can buy one ahead of the trip.

Thanks!
This website may help?

895F6B57-D3CA-4889-8302-9D9EE769CCE6.png

Try this site

Thanks for this! It looks to me that with a UK registered vehicle you cannot get a sticker, but just have to show ownership documents if stopped. Is this what others are finding out in Italy?

Thanks for this! It looks to me that with a UK registered vehicle you cannot get a sticker, but just have to show ownership documents if stopped. Is this what others are finding out in Italy?
Ideological answer from an Italian expat -
1- Don't expect *THE* answer. it will vary depending on whom will carry out the checks.
2- Work the system and be nice to the disgruntled servant who will try to fine you.

Wonderful response! We know Italy well and you are right on.

Mrs K is Italian, she's constantly disgruntled, never had any issues not having stickers except Switzerland.

Hi, planning a trip in May through France to Italy (Milan region) this year (2024), but recently had to postpone it to September. Have already done a lot of online research into Italy requirements for a Euro 5 diesel (I have a 2014 T5 Cali Ocean), including the official site https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/italy-mainmenu-81, which is v confusing to say the least. The whole situation regarding access regs to urban clean air zones seems very complex, especially to a non-resident. Has anyone actually worked out what is/should be required in Italy for an older Euro 5 diesel vehicle? I will be driving in and around Milan area, and possibly Monza, Como and other areas in Lombardia. I have the French CRIT'Air sticker, amber class 2 (easy to obtain) so may just plead ignorance and point to the French sticker!! I know they're also valid in Switzerland (but not in Italy). I also know the inner city ZTL zones are camera controlled and definitely no-go unless you have required permits, but there are also various low emission provincial zones, some of which seem to operate winter only in some parts. Interestingly, I gather some of the locals seem a bit vague about requirements, but maybe they're the ones in Euro 6 compliant vehicles so aren't too concerned? Anyone found any definitive answers if you're touring in Italy in an older diesel camper?

would the Italian tourist board, or the tourist board of the regions you are visiting be any help?

I live on the outskirts of Milan and the rules for Milan are very complicated. My T6 Ocean can drive in Area B currently which covers most of Milan. Soon I'll be restricted to 50 days a year as a resident I think. There is a more central area C which costs 5 Euros to enter but only if you have at least a Euro 6 Diesel. A Euro 5 diesel can not enter either zone. Driving in Milan isn't for the faint hearted and parking is difficult, especially in a van. Think multi storey carparks with 1.9m height restrictions and tight on street parking. In short I wouldn't recommend driving in Area B even if compliant with emissions. The area is covered by a network of cameras and I shudder to think what fines you could rack up particularly as the letters will arrive slowly to the UK. The public transport however is cheap so you're best parking outside Area B and jumping on a train or tube. Other than that ZTLs are the main thing to watch out for. They are normally in historic centres and generally places you wouldn't want to be driving anything bigger than a Fiat Panda anyway. ZTL signs are really complicated, sometimes it applies to trucks, sometimes it applies at different times of day. The really restrictive resident only ones normally have LED signs saying that the zone is active. You should be fine driving around the lakes, mountains and countryside surrounding Milan. There are some beautiful places to go and In September the temperatures aren't as silly and the school holidays are over.

As stated above in Italy it’s very important to have the original vehicle registration and your driving licence if stopped along with insurance details. I have fallen foul of this in my other car. Police commonly stop cars at random. The fine is about €40, if my memory serves me correctly, for not having a vehicle registration with you. I only had a photocopy. I had to suck it up and learn from it. The amount is small if paid promptly but actually paying the fine is the tricky confusing bit. That’s coming from someone who is used to Italian admin. I had to make sure I did it correctly as I didn’t want the fine to snowball through a mistake.

As stated above in Italy it’s very important to have the original vehicle registration and your driving licence if stopped along with insurance details. I have fallen foul of this in my other car. Police commonly stop cars at random. The fine is about €40, if my memory serves me correctly, for not having a vehicle registration with you. I only had a photocopy. I had to suck it up and learn from it. The amount is small if paid promptly but actually paying the fine is the tricky confusing bit. That’s coming from someone who is used to Italian admin. I had to make sure I did it correctly as I didn’t want the fine to snowball through a mistake.
It’s required in most countries to have your original docs with you, registration, insurance cert, green card if separate to the insurance cert and driving licence, the UK being the exceptio.

I live on the outskirts of Milan and the rules for Milan are very complicated. My T6 Ocean can drive in Area B currently which covers most of Milan. Soon I'll be restricted to 50 days a year as a resident I think. There is a more central area C which costs 5 Euros to enter but only if you have at least a Euro 6 Diesel. A Euro 5 diesel can not enter either zone. Driving in Milan isn't for the faint hearted and parking is difficult, especially in a van. Think multi storey carparks with 1.9m height restrictions and tight on street parking. In short I wouldn't recommend driving in Area B even if compliant with emissions. The area is covered by a network of cameras and I shudder to think what fines you could rack up particularly as the letters will arrive slowly to the UK. The public transport however is cheap so you're best parking outside Area B and jumping on a train or tube. Other than that ZTLs are the main thing to watch out for. They are normally in historic centres and generally places you wouldn't want to be driving anything bigger than a Fiat Panda anyway. ZTL signs are really complicated, sometimes it applies to trucks, sometimes it applies at different times of day. The really restrictive resident only ones normally have LED signs saying that the zone is active. You should be fine driving around the lakes, mountains and countryside surrounding Milan. There are some beautiful places to go and In September the temperatures aren't as silly and the school holidays are over.
Having lived in Italy for 9 year I have learned the hard way, 200 € for one wrong turn in Turin.
if you see a ZTL sign STOP and read the sign… some small streets don’t have the sign so find one that does.

It’s a mess with no consistency, in Turin you need a permit to enter during weekdays, I can enter at a weekend or evening, Turin had big plans to enforce layered environmental zones the maps are there the legislation is there, but it was never enacted.

everywhere is different.

Some towns have the ZTL signs but no cameras or enforcement unless some gets off there ass and manually checks.
As to Milan I only go if I have to and park on the outskirts and take the Metro.
Or train from Turin to Milan is only 12.60 € off peak

Back