Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's the 180 BiTDI engine reliable?

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buy a brand new VW California Beach with 4motion (No DSG), and I'm thinking about which engine should I go for.

I'd like to choose the 140 or 180 hp engine. I'm asking at other forums and looks like the 180ph BiTDI engine was not quite mature in the past, and there are people suffer some issue. They recommend me go for the 140ph because of the reliability.

What you think? Is at this moment the BiTDI engine more mature? Does 180hp worth (taxes, petrol, etc...)

Thanks a lot

do they make 180 Beach?

do they make a 4 Motion Beach?

I'm not sure that the 180 is any more or less reliable than the 140.

In fact I don't think you hear of many issues at all, maybe the EGR and that's about it.

Stu said:
I'm not sure that the 180 is any more or less reliable than the 140.

In fact I don't think you hear of many issues at all, maybe the EGR and that's about it.

Yeah exactly, EGR can be an issue for some, not me thankfully (yet) but I've had noisy perished rubber tubing replaced on both N75 valves. That aside it's been superb engine thus far, amazing performance, on steady runs I'm getting circa 38 mpg with cruise control at 70mph and that's with the 7 speed DSG box. Never used a drop of oil or water in its 25k life so far.

I don't think the EGR is any more or less reliable than the 140, but it just takes longer to replace if it does go wonky :?

T

The EGR issue it's very common noaday, I don't think the 180 BiTDI engine suffers more that others this problem.

Ive had a New TURBO fitted at 6500k miles :eek:
But other than that no probs :D

6.500.000 miles?!?!?!?

Assuming you mean 65k miles, that's not (shouldn't be) too much for that kind of engines. That kind of problems scary me because I guess to replace the turbo shouldn't be for cheap.

How is the engine doing now with a new turbo and the other one 65k miles old? How many miles has the engine now?

Yes, very reliable. We have run them over 100,000 miles with no issues. Had the odd EGR, but that has been accross all the engine from 84 to 180

estresao said:
6.500.000 miles?!?!?!?

Assuming you mean 65k miles, that's not (shouldn't be) too much for that kind of engines. That kind of problems scary me because I guess to replace the turbo shouldn't be for cheap.

How is the engine doing now with a new turbo and the other one 65k miles old? How many miles has the engine now?
No I mean 6500 six thousand five hundred :x
Runs superbly now :thumb

Dear Sirs

What's an EGR? :?

Can I do without one?

Yours sincerely

Miss numbskull of West Sussex...

It's a little bit of tree hugging technology in your vans engine, and no you can't :lol:

Why would my engine, or anyone elses, want to hug a tree?

Goodness,

I remember the days when engines run on fuels such as petrol and diesel, not trees.

If you were to have a little lady puff and breathe it back in again then it's likely you would clean up your emissions before unleashing it on the unsuspecting public.

It's not unlike what's going on with the EGR. :laugh2

So it's all to do with recycling and cleansing.

Goodness, I have changed enough nappies in my time to appreciate that need :lol:

GrannyJen said:
Dear Sirs

Can I do without one?

Yours sincerely

There is a company just up the road from me advertising EGR removal and prices start from £250 + vat. So im assuming if you have EGR problems rather than have an expensive repair, it can be taken away and then exhaust system is modified ?????

EGR is not a VW issue. All modern diesels have EGR valves and DPFs to keep our smelly emissions down. In my recent car history:

Mondeo TDCI - Loads of EGR issues - luckily any only fool can take them off on a mondeo - so you can give it a clean and away you go - after a few cleans I got a new valve - then sold the car!

Zafira CDTI - Had the problem once but cleaned the valve OK and then sold the car

VW EOS TDI - No EGR problems - had a few exhaust gas sensor problems but nothing too major

BMW 520d - No EGR Problems

Cali 180 - No problems, but still early days.

The morals of this story is any car can have EGR problems, even with the same driving style some cars can still get the problem.

Note - the selling of the cars above was not EGR related I just get through cars quite quickly - I get bored!

T

cozmo1589 said:
GrannyJen said:
Dear Sirs

Can I do without one?

Yours sincerely

There is a company just up the road from me advertising EGR removal and prices start from £250 + vat. So im assuming if you have EGR problems rather than have an expensive repair, it can be taken away and then exhaust system is modified ?????

That's not something you'd want to have done on a nice new van.

Stu said:
cozmo1589 said:
GrannyJen said:
Dear Sirs

Can I do without one?

Yours sincerely

That's not something you'd want to have done on a nice new van.

No of course not, I'm just contributing to the thread Re EGR problems that were mentioned earlier by others. I can only assume, people who have experienced trouble with this part can have what I can only assume is an expensive repair or a more cost effective removal although what long term effects are and whether it affects performance is unknown by myself. Touch wood I don't have any problems in this regard :)

You can do without one in older cars and I have removed them.

Like cat convertors they were an emissions initiatve that doesn't necessarily deliver in certain scenarios

My understanding of the Cali, like other cars they may need replaced at a certain mileage depending on usage etc and the 180 is harder to get to - cost wise.

So, there is not an EGR problem, they bring an overhead which may cost more in the 180.

6500 miles, OK, a manufacturing issue nothing to do with the actual reliability.

Looks like if you drive time to time above 2000 rpm during around 30' the ERG "get clean" and you can avoid some issues.

cozmo1589 said:
GrannyJen said:
Dear Sirs

Can I do without one?

Yours sincerely

It's a dodgy move taking an EGR system off. Not only as already mentioned can it cause an MOT failure but it's quite possible that the engine will run hotter. If the engine runs hotter then the oil and turbo are hotter and it can lead to turbo failures, a lot more expensive than having the EGR valve replaced.

I thought I'd give you all my EGR valve experience as it may be helpful to someone...

I have a 2013 Beach,180 BiTDi with 48k miles; the engine warning light (amber) came on followed by a short spell in limp mode, it also had a slight stutter/misfire when at low revs. I have the carista dongle/app and it suggested a 'EGR sensor A circuit high' fault.

I took it into the Lookers van centre in Newcastle and after a diagnostic and ECU removal (200+VAT) they agreed with me that it was an EGR problem, they kindly offered to replace it for 1200+VAT!

At this point I asked them to contact VWCS as I knew it was a common fault and I made reference to the VW bulletin mentioned earlier in this thread. 10 minutes later they rang back, VW had agreed to cover the cost of the EGR valve + 1/2 the labour, so cost to me would only 175+VAT.

Overall I was very happy with Lookers van centre, but if I hadn't questioned the original quote they would have happily taken the best part of 2 grand off me.

Back