Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I've been let down on three purchases...

JimP1992

JimP1992

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

BIT OF A RANT.

We have lost out on three Calis in the last two months, I'm losing hope!

First one we agreed a price, agreed to pay a deposit ... 'great, send me your bank details please, we're really excited!' ... 'sorry, we have sold the van to a 'Client'' ... no opportunity to counteroffer. :confused:
The second we again, agreed a price, agreed to pay a deposit, and then they went quiet ... next day, they decided they are going to keep the van, and consider selling it next year. :(
The third, 'YES!' we thought; perfect specification for our requirements, serviced at the main dealer, a good price when every other van is on for an obscene amount ... video viewing, loved it, said we wanted to proceed, paid a deposit, arranged collection for Saturday ... oh wait? No, 'we have decided to keep the van for the summer'.:punch

Honestly I'm losing hope, firstly in people and their word, secondly that we will ever find a Cali! o_O

Also, why are people advertising vans with 'FULL SERVICE HISTORY' when they DO NOT have full service history 'I have had it serviced, but I have no receipts and no stamps'; maybe that is the case, but without proof it doesn't constitute FULL SERVICE HISTORY in my eyes - PLEASE STOP.

RANT OVER.

Has anyone else experienced this as of late?

Cheers.
James

Hi

BIT OF A RANT.

First one we agreed a price, agreed to pay a deposit ... 'great, send me your bank details please, we're really excited!' ... 'sorry, we have sold the van to a 'Client'' ... no opportunity to counteroffer. :confused:
The second we again, agreed a price, agreed to pay a deposit, and then they went quiet ... next day, they decided they are going to keep the van, and consider selling it next year. :(
The third, 'YES!' we thought; perfect specification for our requirements, serviced at the main dealer, a good price when every other van is on for an obscene amount ... video viewing, loved it, said we wanted to proceed, paid a deposit, arranged collection for Saturday ... oh wait? No, 'we have decided to keep the van for the summer'.:punch

Honestly I'm losing hope, firstly in people and their word, secondly that we will ever find a Cali! o_O

Also, why are people advertising vans with 'FULL SERVICE HISTORY' when they DO NOT have full service history 'I have had it serviced, but I have no receipts and no stamps'; maybe that is the case, but without proof it doesn't constitute FULL SERVICE HISTORY in my eyes - PLEASE STOP.

RANT OVER.

Cheers.
James
@JimP1992 , not to worry - getting the specifications and/or purchasing in a Cali is filled with drama, be it a dealer (more drama) or individuals (slightly less drama, but some drama nevertheless).

You will eventually get your Cali and you will love it! Hang in there and continue searching.

On the service receipts, the newer models do not come with a service booklet and all the service history is maintained by VW. I have not tried, but I am sure there is a way to get the service history from VW. I think I should try and get for mine once.

I sympathise with your situation,

What are you after?
T5, T6 or T6.1

Beach, Coast or Ocean ?

must have spec?

are you prepared to travel ?

Edit: Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Hi

BIT OF A RANT.

RANT OVER.

Cheers.
James
If you phone vw dealer with reg they will give you all service info always best to check van with dealer for peace of mind. I’ve used breeze (totton) in the past but I’m sure they all do it.
Good luck with the search.

Don't lose hope but maybe hold off for a year or two.
As you say vans are an obscene amount at the moment all due to supply and demand. When things calm down, some people realise camper vans aren't for them and they are back to package holidays the curve should level off and supply increase.

I sold mine a few months ago for a fair price which turns out was too cheap. As a seller I was inundated with calls and people blindly offering to exceed the person buying it from me. I kept fair and said no. My fairness in the end cost me a couple of grand so it easy to see why sellers are letting people down as they are in a position where they can.

It is baffling to see vans 10+ years old selling for £10k+ than they were 3 years ago.

Seller's market at the mo...

So sorry for you.
Unfortunately this is not the best time to buy.
In the fall it will be more interesting.

I got my first cali in 2014 and the prices have gone up and up each year, yes the bubble may burst but like the housing market when…….. (after another 10k rise who knows).

There is a for sale section in the forum, can’t remember if you need to be a VIP to access the ads.

several for sale.

Well, I bought my other car (not california) from the deal in Germany, then serviced it in France and Switzerland, as I live at the border. Also once I brough it to service in Poland, as simply the mechanics over here were useless, and in Poland I had trusted people. All those services over the years were official dealers (of Ford), all of them have different systems, different books, they share some part of data electronically, but not all. They forget to put stamps in the books, etc.

My car has definitely a full service history at the dealer. Do I have it all in the book, well, no. Do I have all the recipts - yes, but that's to be honest not much use. I think it might be tricky and most people don't care enough to chase services for stamps, etc having sale in mind, in maybe 10 years.

Yet the dealers, somehow, should maintain this history and it should be available, especielly within 1 country. On top of that, fake books are not uncommon, so bear in mind thatif someoen really wants, he can get all the stamps and papers perfect, for a car that is a complete wreck :D

Well, I bought my other car (not california) from the deal in Germany, then serviced it in France and Switzerland, as I live at the border. Also once I brough it to service in Poland, as simply the mechanics over here were useless, and in Poland I had trusted people. All those services over the years were official dealers (of Ford), all of them have different systems, different books, they share some part of data electronically, but not all. They forget to put stamps in the books, etc.

My car has definitely a full service history at the dealer. Do I have it all in the book, well, no. Do I have all the recipts - yes, but that's to be honest not much use. I think it might be tricky and most people don't care enough to chase services for stamps, etc having sale in mind, in maybe 10 years.

Yet the dealers, somehow, should maintain this history and it should be available, especielly within 1 country. On top of that, fake books are not uncommon, so bear in mind thatif someoen really wants, he can get all the stamps and papers perfect, for a car that is a complete wreck :D
VW do not provide a service book (anymore.)

all service records for VW vehicles are now electronic records.

in theory any dealer should be able to print out a service / warranty record for any vehicle for the owner / prospective owner, however this system is severely flawed.

VWCV system is different to the car group, ( cars have an app that can access the info immediately by the customer) Commercial vehicles do not !

VW further complicate this for warranty works:
VW do not supply customer paperwork !
Even if the customer formally requested, the dealer will not routinely provide paperwork!
most customers are probably happy with this, particularly as the work has been provided for free?
but how do you prove it in future?
Answer: you don’t !

I had to formally request paperwork copies of warranty work to date, the dealer was unable to provide this!
initially I was told they would not provide this due to “Data protection “ ?
I persisted and asked for the details of MY VAN, to which any data protection relates to be provided in full !

written records of various warranty work was eventually and begrudgingly provided in part & some considerable time later.

The records were dealer generated PDF !
individual pages for each instance of warranty work.
The records provided did not / do not include all items I know have been carried out and recorded on the VW system !

Beware of what VW tell you regarding the ease of access to a vehicle service records, particularly relating to a Commercial vehicle records such as a Cali.
There is massive scope for specific works not to be evident on the vehicles records available to the customer or prospective future owner
(I.e. no concise proof can provided to customer relating to “All works” and it certainly will be made available (in writing) to others without vehicle registration documents !

Is this a potential future issue ?
VW have glossed over this issue in their marketing, particularly where VW clearly say that the vehicles records (works carried out by VW) can / will be easily available, which is not my experience anfd even when requested it is incomplete!

If you doubt this, ask a / your dealer to provide you with a full “service and Warranty“ record for your vehicle either electronic or paper copy within a few minutes ?

I bet they can only provide routine service information?

please feel free to report you findings and if you have had any paperwork provided for warranty work to date ?

I would suggest that all owners keep a proper paper copy record for all work Over the life of your vehicle.

Because it’s been serviced at a main dealer doesn’t mean it’s been serviced any better than at a good independent garage. In fact the chances that an actual mechanic at a main dealers has been anywhere near the car are very remote. There is more chance that an actual mechanic in an independent garage has done the work as they have less or even no apprentices to turn too. It really is not rocket science to Do a service on a van because that’s what it is. You are paying a premium for the main dealer stamp, nothing more.

Always get paperwork from breeze in Southampton, had cambelt etc done last year and got paperwork for that (didn’t ask). They even registered my van on there system (due to it being vw german westfalia import).

Because it’s been serviced at a main dealer doesn’t mean it’s been serviced any better than at a good independent garage. In fact the chances that an actual mechanic at a main dealers has been anywhere near the car are very remote. There is more chance that an actual mechanic in an independent garage has done the work as they have less or even no apprentices to turn too. It really is not rocket science to Do a service on a van because that’s what it is. You are paying a premium for the main dealer stamp, nothing more.
I don’t Doubt what you say,
but your comments don’t relate to the questions raised in this post regarding provision of proper records from a main dealer ?
I don’t not pay for my servicing currently and have a service plan with VW.
This Particularly affects those who own vehicles where an electronic record applies. which was T6 onwards.

warranty work has no visible (to the customer) records

Last edited:
Always get paperwork from breeze in Southampton, had cambelt etc done last year and got paperwork for that (didn’t ask). They even registered my van on there system (due to it being vw german westfalia import).
Was that work you paid for or warranty ? (Edit : rhetorical question)

You will generally always get a written record if you pay for work,
has that work been recorded on your vehicles history ?
can you confirm that the work has been registered against your vehicles history easily if you need to check ?

Have you ever had warranty work carried out ?
has a record been provided of warranty work ?
& do you have access / the ability to check your service / warranty record ?

Haven’t had any warranty work, only get 2yrs with joker as it’s a import. I did get a service book and all stamped with T6 and all services are recorded on there and VW system.
Does warranty work need paperwork (I know it’s nice), but work has been corrected and covered until warranty runs out. Unfortunately any warranty work is only covered until warranty runs out (well that’s my understanding doesn’t get reset for another 3yrs).

Haven’t had any warranty work, only get 2yrs with joker as it’s a import. I did get a service book and all stamped with T6 and all services are recorded on there and VW system.
Does warranty work need paperwork (I know it’s nice), but work has been corrected and covered until warranty runs out. Unfortunately any warranty work is only covered until warranty runs out (well that’s my understanding doesn’t get reset for another 3yrs).
Any warranty we had done with our van we didn’t have any paperwork whatsoever and we have had a fair bit done in the 3 year warranty period. It would be all documented by VW themselves.

Hi

BIT OF A RANT.

RANT OVER.

Cheers.
James
From your details either you have or have had in the past owned a T5 SE 140. Is that right? What year was/is it?

Hi

BIT OF A RANT.

RANT OVER.

Cheers.
James
Re’ your 3rd fail @JimP1992, if you had paid a deposit and the dealer had accepted your order, are they not then contractually bound? Probably too much hassle to pursue but just wondered what the legal position is?

Back