Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jump starting a T6

S

steve and lisa

VIP Member
Hi All, we are on a French passion site in France with a flat starter battery, we have VW Assistance coming out in the morning but I am worried as when we had our handover of our new van we were told you can't jump start a T6, if you try you can do some serious damage!

Just a bit conscious who ever comes out to us in the morning won't have this knowledge?

Sorry but I don’t understand your concern. You have called VW Assistance.
If you look in your Handbook there is a section on starting with a flat battery. At least there is in mine.

There is nothing special about the T6 compared with any modern vehicle and I am sure VW ensure VW Assistance are trained to deal with their vehicles.

My concern would be how have you managed to flatten the starter battery?

Hi All, we are on a French passion site in France with a flat starter battery, we have VW Assistance coming out in the morning but I am worried as when we had our handover of our new van we were told you can't jump start a T6, if you try you can do some serious damage!

Just a bit conscious who ever comes out to us in the morning won't have this knowledge?

I think you can be sure that the guy who comes out will have a VW approved check list and procedure to go through.

I can see no reason why a T6 should not be jump-started.

You can jump start it but you must not connect the jump leads to the negative terminal on the battery, I assume that is what you mean?

You can jump start it but you must not connect the jump leads to the negative terminal on the battery, I assume that is what you mean?
I don't understand, why not?

It is usual to connect the jump leads terminal to terminal careful to avoid touching the body in the process.
It is, after all, connecting a healthy supply in parallel.
I have always done it this way and the RAC did the same to my van a couple of years ago.

Alan

I don't understand, why not?

It is usual to connect the jump leads terminal to terminal careful to avoid touching the body in the process.
It is, after all, connecting a healthy supply in parallel.
I have always done it this way and the RAC did the same to my van a couple of years ago.

Alan
The negative terminal has a current monitoring module attached so the jump lead needs to be attached to the negative jump post on the body (if fitted) or to the engine itself.

The negative terminal has a current monitoring module attached so the jump lead needs to be attached to the negative jump post on the body (if fitted) or to the engine itself.
Ahh. Probably a model related item then.

I can't look at the moment, but I am pretty certain that on my 2010 battery it is just a normal battery clamp and some cables on both terminals.

Alan

So where should the -ve lead be attached. I cannot see an obvious earth post anywhere near the battery.

So where should the -ve lead be attached. I cannot see an obvious earth post anywhere near the battery.
Depends how good your jump lead are .
I can get mine to attach to a bolt head securing the battery, you should look for any unpainted metal area with a good connection to the chassis , as said above,

6 years! That must have topped the post revival record?