Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jump Starting another vehicle

DavidGPhillips

DavidGPhillips

David
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
if jump starting another vehicle where is the best place on a 2018 Cali to secure the negative cable. My VW Passat has a special tab near the battery which doesn’t seem to be there on the Cali. I have read the handbook which says in the engine block - just wondered if anyone had any more specific advice

Thank you

Thank you for that but I am a bit confused, I was intending to use the Cali to star a car with a flat battery

By doing as LOZ says you are using the Cali battery to start the other vehicle. No risk to either vehicle's electronics. Safest method.

Only possible problem could be that you also flatten the Cali battery if not a quick start.

Can you add a bit more detail please? I was trying to help someone out the other week and wasn’t convinced of the best way of doing it (it worked however).

Disconnect Cali loom from negative post and then connect a single jump lead to which side of the battery on the vehicle to be jumped? Or disconnect Cali loom from negative post and connect 2 jump leads, -ve to -ve and +ve to +ve?

Thanks.

Can you add a bit more detail please? I was trying to help someone out the other week and wasn’t convinced of the best way of doing it (it worked however).

Disconnect Cali loom from negative post and then connect a single jump lead to which side of the battery on the vehicle to be jumped? Or disconnect Cali loom from negative post and connect 2 jump leads, -ve to -ve and +ve to +ve?

Thanks.
Disconnect the negative terminal from the your fully charged vehicle(to prevent any damage to donor vehicle)
connect positive to positive then negative to negative on the chassis if they have battery monitoring like the cali.
Start flat vehicle.
Disconnect leads in reverse
reconnect battery terminal. (reset your clock :) )

Last edited:
Wouldn't disconnecting the battery to jump or be jumped on a BM van mess up the battery state data?
164DB5C5-8282-4469-99C8-5C7905A0FBC5.jpeg

Yes, it can but if you want zero risk of damage to the donor vehicle this is the safest.
Best not to offer unless you have a power pack or spare charged battery like I keep in the shed.
And the radio code is good for 8 hours.

I’ve never hesitated to jump start someone in need. What is the damage that can be caused to the donor vehicle when doing so?

i jumped a car just this weekend. just connected the leads to the battery posts while my engine was running. the other car started. removed leads. no problems or dramas with with either vehicle. t6 beach.

i jumped a car just this weekend. just connected the leads to the battery posts while my engine was running. the other car started. removed leads. no problems or dramas with with either vehicle. t6 beach.
As do most people me included but not to the negative post as you bridge the battery monitor.

As I was giving advise to someone who was asking, I offered the best advise possible with the least risk.

I’ve never hesitated to jump start someone in need. What is the damage that can be caused to the donor vehicle when doing so?
Most situations are fine but image you pitching up to help, popping your bonnet, and before you know someone gets the polarity wrong and or touches a component with the wrong lead and something gets fried. Then you need to get recovered and then the warranty gets declined..... just saying...
Fortunately there are cheap battery packs worth owning now to deal with this situation and only 40quid down the drain if it all goes wrong..

Most situations are fine but image you pitching up to help, popping your bonnet, and before you know someone gets the polarity wrong and or touches a component with the wrong lead and something gets fried. Then you need to get recovered and then the warranty gets declined..... just saying...
Fortunately there are cheap battery packs worth owning now to deal with this situation and only 40quid down the drain if it all goes wrong..

You might have to reset the control panel if you disconnect engine battery in your vehicle. Both times I have done it the auxiliary heater has flashed a fault symbol, top left of the control panel, the wavy lines flash and the heater won't fire up. Reset the control panel, check & delete the error code, restart the control panel & all was back to normal.

Same here with my passat when we came back from France, no problem with passat or cali

Many thanks for this, my confusion came about because I followed the instructions in the handbook to the letter. These said to connect the neg terminal on the donor vehicle (my Cali) to the engine block and likewise with the receiving vehicle. I did this but neg clip kept slipping on my Cali, it did eventually hold and all was well. I was simply trying to ascertain whether their was a better spot on the engine to which to clip the negative terminal.

Putting all the pieces together I have the answer and thanks to all

Hi burnercan. Can you post picture of which starter pack please.

Back