Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jury service

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Well, we had a nice two weeks booked in France for May and today I get a letter saying I have jury service for the same two weeks.

Will they accept a booked holiday as a get out? I suspect not!

Well, we had a nice two weeks booked in France for May and today I get a letter saying I have jury service for the same two weeks.

Will they accept a booked holiday as a get out? I suspect not!
Yes, I think they will if you have a booking confirmation.

You can defer a jury summons once -(with reasonable grounds eg holiday and no proof is required) exactly same happened to me last year.
But as motorcyclistcolin states you then have to accept the dates on the next summons

As others have said, once.

I personally think it is a civic duty. One of those very nice things dating from Henry 2nd that allows you to have your say in something that if we ever end up in the sh*t we should be grateful of.

As others have said, once.

I personally think it is a civic duty. One of those very nice things dating from Henry 2nd that allows you to have your say in something that if we ever end up in the sh*t we should be grateful of.
I would also say in addition, that as well as a civic duty (100% agree with a Granny Jen) .... it was also a very interesting and humbling experience - never having been in a court before it was an education.

A previously booked holiday is a legitimate excuse for deferment.
If you ring them up, you should be able to agree what date you do it. I've just changed the date for my 3rd lot of service.

To be honest be prepared for two weeks of boredom, there's an awful lot of waiting around, interspersed with a few moments of interest. By the time you've trooped in & out, had a few recesses, decided its too late in the day to start another case, had a long lunch break etc I reckon you probably only spend something like 10 hours in a week actually in a court room listening to a case.

Whilst I appreciate its your duty to do this sort of thing, as a self employed person the £64/day to cover loss of earnings is an absolute insult. Reduced of course to £32 if you get sent home early.

Back