Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just back from NordKapp

Looking forwards to the full trip report and more pictures ! Great pix so far, thanks

Hi Anthony, shame I didn't see you enroute! We went as far as Narvk/Lofotens then back down West coast road (17) as couldn't face another mile of E6 road works (we left 26th May and got back last Fri)
Love the piccies of Trollstig and nice to see artic circle was still raining when you went through. Like the reindeer, here's an Elk! Also some from the Lofotens, one showing the nearest we

DSCF2044.JPGnearest we got to seeing midnight sun as clouded over and a not too shabby view out of our camper!
Like Anthony, happy to offer advice for similar trip particulary how to get 50% off road tolls and ferries (we used 10 of them!)

DSCF2151.JPGDSCF2083.JPGDSCF2038.JPG

Just south of Nor
Hi Anthony, shame I didn't see you enroute! We went as far as Narvk/Lofotens then back down West coast road (17) as couldn't face another mile of E6 road works (we left 26th May and got back last Fri)
Love the piccies of Trollstig and nice to see artic circle was still raining when you went through. Like the reindeer, here's an Elk! Also some from the Lofotens, one showing the nearest we

View attachment 46956nearest we got to seeing midnight sun as clouded over and a not too shabby view out of our camper!
Like Anthony, happy to offer advice for similar trip particulary how to get 50% off road tolls and ferries (we used 10 of them!)

View attachment 46954View attachment 46955View attachment 46959

View attachment 46956nearest we got to seeing midnight sun as clouded over and a not too shabby view out of our camper!

View attachment 46954View attachment 46955View attachment 46959
[/QU

Just south of Nordkapp, near Northern Finnish border, at midnight.

Midnight Sun N. Norway (3).jpg

Hello Anthony,

super trip. I would like to do this at some stage in the next years too. It would be brilliant to hear more from the journey, what experience you made and how the van was.

Regards,
Eberhard

I have written my report, just under 1800 words. can I post something this long?

I have written my report, just under 1800 words. can I post something this long?

Nothing of interest to our members is too long :)

You may also want to compare notes with @WelshGas who posted a log of his trip in 2014 and which inspired many members, including myself.

On another note I've just run along your seafront.... goodness it was hot :D

Nothing of interest to our members is too long :)

You may also want to compare notes with @WelshGas who posted a log of his trip in 2014 and which inspired many members, including myself.

On another note I've just run along your seafront.... goodness it was hot :D

I just tried to publish my report and I got a !Ooops nothing more than 10,000 characters. Mine is less than 9000.

Briefly.

We left the UK via the Channel Tunnel. A great start though as we missed our booked train, thereby losing us about 2 hours of travel time. First stop was Bremen (site booked in advance) after an horrendous motorway drive through Belgium, Holland and Germany. Two lane motorways with the inside lane nose to tail lorries, with barely a gap to get into when tailgated by Germans at 100mph+.

Second night (booked) at a very busy site on a Danish island (Nyborg), and a ferry trip we had not planned for. But I like ferries.

The next day we crossed the Oresund Bridge, booked and paid for in advance, with a 10% discount (info courtesy WelshGas). It meant I avoided customs and queues on entering Sweden. Drove through Malmo, then got lost in the flatlands of southern Sweden. Re-did the satnav and stayed the night at a very expensive, but very decent site at Varberg. It was a public holiday so they did not accept ACSI.

Drove north to Norway, huge queue at the ‘Nothing to declare’ border. I played the old trick of going up the ‘Something to declare’ route, no queue and played innocent. No problems, no passport checks.

Stayed overnight at a campsite in Oslo. Awful site, no security, public right of way through the site, it is on a hilltop, every pitch at an angle, couldn’t get near any electric hook up. It was also very muddy and expensive. Used the cooking facilities on site. A novelty for us.

Drove north, a lot of redirections and huge road work projects. From now on we looked out for campsites at about 5-6pm. Never had any problems, most sites were excellent.

Camped just short of the Arctic Circle next to a beautiful river. We are used to UK sites, with “park here, like this, with gaps etc.”. Up here it was, “find a spot you like”. We parked with views of the sea, the mountains etc. Reached the Arctic Circle Centre, it was very cold, snow on the ground, a small flurries.

Before we got there we thought it would be some achievement getting to the Arctic Cicle. But most people we spoke to mentioned NordKapp (the most northerly point of Europe). As if that was a real achievemnt. Off we went North.

At one site we invited a lone cyclist to join us for dinner. He was Irish (no jokes please). He had flown from Dublin to Tromso and was cycling to Nordkapp, then down through Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, France, Spain to Gibralta, then flying home.

Next to us was Swedish motorcyclist, who didn’t have a tent but slept in a hammock between two trees. I asked him if there were no trees what he would do, he just said, “not sleep there”. We gave him coffee for breakfast.

A couple of days later, after a fantastic drive though a wasteland of barren rocks, scattered houses, reindeer, towering mountains, fjords, some snow, strong winds and a great many motorcyclists braving the elements, we reached Nordkapp. After days of sun shine and wearing shorts, it was cold and low cloud. Nordkapp has a large car park, entry is 500 NK (about £50). This included everything we didn’t want, a museum, videos etc. We just wanted to park, have a cup of tea and retreat to the lowlands. We did a U turn and parked at the side of the road and started walking to the car park, only to be shouted at by the little man in the kiosk saying we would get a 1000 NK fine if we stayed there. My wife was all for tipping his kiosk over.

We drove south towards Finland. Saw the midnight sun. It had been daylight at night since Trondheim. We took aircraft sleeping masks with us but never used them. Camped on a small, very casual site with a beach. Used the owners lounge to watch Norwegian TV and talk to a Polish worker.

Headed south through Finland. If you like long empty roads, trees and lakes, few people and fewer sites of interest, northern Finland is for you. Met a man running a souvenir shop who told us about the local fauna, ie wolves from Russia and bears, “who you cannot see for 99% of the time, but 99% of the time, they can see you”. Perhaps the south of the country is more interesting.

Camped at another casual site, next a mosquito invested lake. Had use of kayaks, a Canadian canoe and rowing boat. We tried them all, as did a German couple and some German lads. I think the site owner bred sled dogs as there were hug cages with prowling, howling animals within.

Continued south and entered Sweden. Equally uninspiring, trees, trees and more trees. Good roads though. The Swedish Arctic Circle was warm and trashy, a bit like Santa meets, Lapland, meets Disney.

Stayed in a great campsite though (Ansian resort)with excellent cooking and washing facilities (better than many houses I have lived in). They sold beer but only if it was less that 5%. No wine. Just me whining.

On route, visited the biggest waterfall in Sweden. Just happened to see a signpost. Left Sweden and its trees and its big waterfall and re-entered Norway. Drove south. Splendid scenery in Norway, lovely house, rotten winters.

Various campsites, by the sea, including one near Trondheim. I visited Tirpitz memorial there – a memorial to RAF aircrews who ended the life of the Tirpitz.

Next stop Bergen, a very big city (well it seemed that way after the barren north). Campsite was cramped and the facilities were poor. It seems there were lots of itinerant workers there.

Drove up the Trollstigen – stunning and well worth the effort of finding it. Camped just south of the pass. Met a British guy who lives in New Zealand. He had shipped his bike (Ducati Multistrada) to Sydney, driven round the top of Australia to Perth, shipped it to Singapore, driven up through Singapore, malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Shipped it to India, hated it, shipped to Dubai or somewhere like that up to Russia, Eastern Europe etc. He was off to the Uk, to pick the wife and head down to Spain.

Continued south to Preikestolen, that famous 2000ft sheer drop cliff. Recommended time to hike there and back is four hours, but well worth it. It was hot, it was like Mt Everest in that the world and his brother was there. I felt quite queasy near the edge while some dangled their legs over. Preikestolen car park another rip-off at 250 NK (about £25). We camped nearby in a very muddy but friendly site.

Continued to south to Kristiansand. Stayed in the Raddison Blu hotel for two nights so we could explore a tow, bearing in mind most campsites are quite remote. Lovely place Kristiansand. There was huge bonfire celebrating midsummer’s day. Music, party atmosphere, great food in local restaurants, awful food in the Radisson.

Due to get a morning ferry from Kristiansand to Hirstshals in Denmark.

A flat battery greeted me, but with a jump starter thingy, (info courtesy of someone on this forum), I got the van started in seconds.

All booked and paid for via Ferries Direct. Big mistake. We arrive at check-in only to be faced with a woman with a large wooden, gallows-type, measuring pole with a cross bar. “you are too high”. Ferries Direct had listed us as 1.89m. The max for low vehicles is 1.95m. I argued, to no avail and was sent to wait on standby. I found another measuring pole. I was about 2mm too high. Oh and I had to pay an additional 51 euros to get on, if there was room. The next ferry was fully booked and the next one, the next day was full too.

I thought about driving across Norway to Olso, then down through Sweden and across the Oresund bridge to Denmark. No need we got on the ferry. A German on the ferry suggested that we should have let some air out of the tyres!

After reaching Denmark we went to the ‘meeting of two seas’, the Skagerrak and the Kattergat (the Baltic and the North Sea). That meant a long trek along a very soft sandy beach. Another place ticked off.

Camped at a nice camp near Randers, Danish woman, spoke English like an English woman, then back to Bremen, after spending about an hour driving around and around Hamburg. Not going there again. Massive road works around Hambourg.

Drove into Holland, stayed at a nice site near Amsterdam. Took a metro into the city, end of the line station a few minutes’ walk from the campsite. Bought some food, took some photos and left. A great place if you are 22 and with a lot of friends. I still like it but, my wife hated it, too much smoking, very dirty streets and crazy bell-ringing cyclists.

Left Amsterdam and drove to Peronne, on the Somme. A place we visit often. It was 34.5 C and crotch pot, cooking hot! They accepted ACSI card, 18 euros a night with electricity.

Came home four days early as I had done what I had set out to do, faster than planned, but sometimes the journey takes over and momentum becomes key – I love it.

We took too much tinned and dried food, a lot of which we brought back. My wife is an excellent cook and we ate freshly cooked food daily, which we bought in local stores and supermarkets (always interesting to visit anyway). Breakfast was toast or cereal, fruit, tea/coffee. Lunch was on the go, a sandwich and dinner was as previously mentioned. Always used hook up to boil a kettle for a flask during the day.

We used on-site cooking facilities as much as we could. The spare camping stove and small gas bottles were untouched. It’s legal to wild camp in Norway and Sweden but for the price, average about £25 per night we like flushing toilets and hot showers, well the wife does.

Lots of ferries along the west coast, about £10 per trip, just turn up and drive on. Lovely.

We saw lots of reindeer, they are like sheep over there, wandering along the roads, we saw one moose, apparently they sleep during the day and come out at dusk. We saw one of the insomniac mooses in Norway.

We covered 6022 miles in 24 days, including four days where we covered about 50.

The only time we showed our passports was leaving and entering the UK.

I would return to Norway as it is stunningly beautiful, not so sure about Finland or Sweden, I’m all tree’d out. But I do fancy Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

Please excuse the somewhat rushed report but I didn’t keep a diary, so some of the destinations may be out of sync, although I kept a note of sites and prices.

There are many more well travelled Cali owners on this forum and what I have just written may be old hat. Ce’st lave vie.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Phew!

PS. I got back yesterday (June 30th). I tried the van this morning – flat battery!

A couple of days later, after a fantastic drive though a wasteland of barren rocks, scattered houses, reindeer, towering mountains, fjords, some snow, strong winds and a great many motorcyclists braving the elements, we reached Nordkapp. After days of sun shine and wearing shorts, it was cold and low cloud. Nordkapp has a large car park, entry is 500 NK (about £50). This included everything we didn’t want, a museum, videos etc. We just wanted to park, have a cup of tea and retreat to the lowlands. We did a U turn and parked at the side of the road and started walking to the car park, only to be shouted at by the little man in the kiosk saying we would get a 1000 NK fine if we stayed there. My wife was all for tipping his kiosk over.

We drove south towards Finland. Saw the midnight sun. It had been daylight at night since Trondheim. We took aircraft sleeping masks with us but never used them. Camped on a small, very casual site with a beach. Used the owners lounge to watch Norwegian TV and talk to a Polish worker.

Headed south through Finland. If you like long empty roads, trees and lakes, few people and fewer sites of interest, northern Finland is for you. Met a man running a souvenir shop who told us about the local fauna, ie wolves from Russia and bears, “who you cannot see for 99% of the time, but 99% of the time, they can see you”. Perhaps the south of the country is more interesting.

Camped at another casual site, next a mosquito invested lake. Had use of kayaks, a Canadian canoe and rowing boat. We tried them all, as did a German couple and some German lads. I think the site owner bred sled dogs as there were hug cages with prowling, howling animals within.

Continued south and entered Sweden. Equally uninspiring, trees, trees and more trees. Good roads though. The Swedish Arctic Circle was warm and trashy, a bit like Santa meets, Lapland, meets Disney.

Stayed in a great campsite though (Ansian resort)with excellent cooking and washing facilities (better than many houses I have lived in). They sold beer but only if it was less that 5%. No wine. Just me whining.

On route, visited the biggest waterfall in Sweden. Just happened to see a signpost. Left Sweden and its trees and its big waterfall and re-entered Norway. Drove south. Splendid scenery in Norway, lovely house, rotten winters.

Various campsites, by the sea, including one near Trondheim. I visited Tirpitz memorial there – a memorial to RAF aircrews who ended the life of the Tirpitz.

Next stop Bergen, a very big city (well it seemed that way after the barren north). Campsite was cramped and the facilities were poor. It seems there were lots of itinerant workers there.

Drove up the Trollstigen – stunning and well worth the effort of finding it. Camped just south of the pass. Met a British guy who lives in New Zealand. He had shipped his bike (Ducati Multistrada) to Sydney, driven round the top of Australia to Perth, shipped it to Singapore, driven up through Singapore, malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Shipped it to India, hated it, shipped to Dubai or somewhere like that up to Russia, Eastern Europe etc. He was off to the Uk, to pick the wife and head down to Spain.

Continued south to Preikestolen, that famous 2000ft sheer drop cliff. Recommended time to hike there and back is four hours, but well worth it. It was hot, it was like Mt Everest in that the world and his brother was there. I felt quite queasy near the edge while some dangled their legs over. Preikestolen car park another rip-off at 250 NK (about £25). We camped nearby in a very muddy but friendly site.

Continued to south to Kristiansand. Stayed in the Raddison Blu hotel for two nights so we could explore a tow, bearing in mind most campsites are quite remote. Lovely place Kristiansand. There was huge bonfire celebrating midsummer’s day. Music, party atmosphere, great food in local restaurants, awful food in the Radisson.

Due to get a morning ferry from Kristiansand to Hirstshals in Denmark.

A flat battery greeted me, but with a jump starter thingy, (info courtesy of someone on this forum), I got the van started in seconds.

All booked and paid for via Ferries Direct. Big mistake. We arrive at check-in only to be faced with a woman with a large wooden, gallows-type, measuring pole with a cross bar. “you are too high”. Ferries Direct had listed us as 1.89m. The max for low vehicles is 1.95m. I argued, to no avail and was sent to wait on standby. I found another measuring pole. I was about 2mm too high. Oh and I had to pay an additional 51 euros to get on, if there was room. The next ferry was fully booked and the next one, the next day was full too.

I thought about driving across Norway to Olso, then down through Sweden and across the Oresund bridge to Denmark. No need we got on the ferry. A German on the ferry suggested that we should have let some air out of the tyres!

After reaching Denmark we went to the ‘meeting of two seas’, the Skagerrak and the Kattergat (the Baltic and the North Sea). That meant a long trek along a very soft sandy beach. Another place ticked off.

Camped at a nice camp near Randers, Danish woman, spoke English like an English woman, then back to Bremen, after spending about an hour driving around and around Hamburg. Not going there again. Massive road works around Hambourg.

Drove into Holland, stayed at a nice site near Amsterdam. Took a metro into the city, end of the line station a few minutes’ walk from the campsite. Bought some food, took some photos and left. A great place if you are 22 and with a lot of friends. I still like it but, my wife hated it, too much smoking, very dirty streets and crazy bell-ringing cyclists.

Left Amsterdam and drove to Peronne, on the Somme. A place we visit often. It was 34.5 C and crotch pot, cooking hot! They accepted ACSI card, 18 euros a night with electricity.

Came home four days early as I had done what I had set out to do, faster than planned, but sometimes the journey takes over and momentum becomes key – I love it.

We took too much tinned and dried food, a lot of which we brought back. My wife is an excellent cook and we ate freshly cooked food daily, which we bought in local stores and supermarkets (always interesting to visit anyway). Breakfast was toast or cereal, fruit, tea/coffee. Lunch was on the go, a sandwich and dinner was as previously mentioned. Always used hook up to boil a kettle for a flask during the day.

We used on-site cooking facilities as much as we could. The spare camping stove and small gas bottles were untouched. It’s legal to wild camp in Norway and Sweden but for the price, average about £25 per night we like flushing toilets and hot showers, well the wife does.

Lots of ferries along the west coast, about £10 per trip, just turn up and drive on. Lovely.

We saw lots of reindeer, they are like sheep over there, wandering along the roads, we saw one moose, apparently they sleep during the day and come out at dusk. We saw one of the insomniac mooses in Norway.

We covered 6022 miles in 24 days, including four days where we covered about 50.

The only time we showed our passports was leaving and entering the UK.

I would return to Norway as it is stunningly beautiful, not so sure about Finland or Sweden, I’m all tree’d out. But I do fancy Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

Please excuse the somewhat rushed report but I didn’t keep a diary, so some of the destinations may be out of sync, although I kept a note of sites and prices.

There are many more well travelled Cali owners on this forum and what I have just written may be old hat. Ce’st lave vie.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Phew!

PS. I got back yesterday (June 30th). I tried the van this morning – flat battery!

Thank you. I found it brilliant reading.

Seems you had a good time , been to the south of Norway did a three weeks trip only the south . Love to go up North once .
As for the write up , i try to post during the trip so things are fresh in mind , typing a review on a 24days trip is a pita ...
Seems something wrong there with your battery's

Excellent, a great read. Well done, thank you..

Thank you. I was a journalist in a previous lifetime.
A lot of history surrounding Knordkapp which is very well documented within the Visitors Centre. Eg: It’s connection to the King of Thailand.

A lot of history surrounding Knordkapp which is very well documented within the Visitors Centre. Eg: It’s connection to the King of Thailand.

That's interesting as my wife is Thai. But all we wanted was to stop and have a cuppa, it being late and we needed to go and find a campsite down among the land of the Trolls.

That's interesting as my wife is Thai. But all we wanted was to stop and have a cuppa, it being late and we needed to go and find a campsite down among the land of the Trolls.
You can wildcamp in the car park. Toilets etc: open 24/7. Magic place at midnight as you can see on my Avatar picture.

You can wildcamp in the car park. Toilets etc: open 24/7. Magic place at midnight as you can see on my Avatar picture.
Now you tell me. The kiosk man gave us the impression we would pay more for staying overnight.

Now you tell me. The kiosk man gave us the impression we would pay more for staying overnight.
Admission fee covers 24hrs. You can pay about 200K at the Hotel Reception if you wish to stay an extra night.

Because of your information, I will return to Nordkapp, but I will go the other around, thereby killing two birds with one stone. I shall plan it for next May/June.

I will go, via France, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Finland etc. I'm looking forward to it already.

I mentioned it to my wife while she was watering the plants thiss evening and she said, yes OK, but make the tea first!

Last edited: