Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just been to tyre shop …. Help please

Seaview

Seaview

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Having read lots of information on here about tyre choice I took myself off to the local ATS branch this morning.

My Cali Ocean is currently running on Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - 235/55ZR17 from the factory when new Which now need replacing.

Took on board the comments here about 235’s and the ride but looks like I’ve already been running on them.

So at ATS I enquired about the availability of the Michelin Agilis having seen good feedback on here. To which I was told I can’t put them on my Cali without changing the wheels. Can anyone confirm this is true and why can’t I put them on my Ocean which has 17” alloys.

I’ve also noticed my tyre/wheel sticker inside the door is slightly different to some others posted on here. any thoughts why this may be the case?

The tyres ATS have recommended are as follows and I would appreciate any comments you may have please:-

Michelin Primacy 4 235/55R17 + £726
Dunlop SP Max + £810
BFG Advantage + £662

More interested in performance than price at this stage although it is a consideration.

(Not overly impressed with the Dunlop’s as mine need replacing having just done 14,000 miles).

And finally having recently moved from NE Scotland to SW England do you recommend I go for all season tyres?

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

image.jpg

Check and double check the load ratings for the suggested tyres. Needs to be minimum of 103. Can’t see any reason why you can’t fit load suitable Agilis. Are your wheels Davenports?

Check and double check the load ratings for the suggested tyres. Needs to be minimum of 103. Can’t see any reason why you can’t fit load suitable Agilis. Are your wheels Davenports?
No not Davenports, but here they are. ………

image.jpg

Having read lots of information on here about tyre choice I took myself off to the local ATS branch this morning.

My Cali Ocean is currently running on Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - 235/55ZR17 from the factory when new Which now need replacing.

Took on board the comments here about 235’s and the ride but looks like I’ve already been running on them.

So at ATS I enquired about the availability of the Michelin Agilis having seen good feedback on here. To which I was told I can’t put them on my Cali without changing the wheels. Can anyone confirm this is true and why can’t I put them on my Ocean which has 17” alloys.

I’ve also noticed my tyre/wheel sticker inside the door is slightly different to some others posted on here. any thoughts why this may be the case?

The tyres ATS have recommended are as follows and I would appreciate any comments you may have please:-

Michelin Primacy 4 235/55R17 + £726
Dunlop SP Max + £810
BFG Advantage + £662

More interested in performance than price at this stage although it is a consideration.

(Not overly impressed with the Dunlop’s as mine need replacing having just done 14,000 miles).

And finally having recently moved from NE Scotland to SW England do you recommend I go for all season tyres?

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.

View attachment 80737
Change Tyre Shop.
There is absolutely no reason that you cannot fit the correct sized Michelin tyres on your vehicle 235x55xR17, Load 103 or greater, Speed H or greater.
I have that exact same size, but the SUV version. No problems.

I bought 4 Continental VanContact tyres for around £500 a couple of years ago. The selling point of them was how quiet they are. I have to say they are amazingly quiet. We do a lot of motorway miles and you can hardly hear anything at 70. I like them a lot.

Change Tyre Shop.
There is absolutely no reason that you cannot fit the correct sized Michelin tyres on your vehicle 235x55xR17, Load 103 or greater, Speed H or greater.
I have that exact same size, but the SUV version. No problems.
I won’t be going back there I’d already decided that from my first visit.

I won’t be going back there I’d already decided that from my first visit.
I cannot remember exactly, but I paid in the region of £600 at my local tyre shop for the Michelin Cross Climate with exactly the same size as you. Shop around - plenty of choice out there.

I cannot remember exactly, but I paid in the region of £600 at my local tyre shop for the Michelin Cross Climate with exactly the same size as you. Shop around - plenty of choice out there.
It’s not so much the tyre price but the fact that he said my van wouldn’t take the Michelin’s so many others have used. Will have a look at the Michelin Cross Climate although not too sure I will need them now that I’m living in Somerset although happy to be corrected on that too.

It’s not so much the tyre price but the fact that he said my van wouldn’t take the Michelin’s so many others have used. Will have a look at the Michelin Cross Climate although not too sure I will need them now that I’m living in Somerset although happy to be corrected on that too.
If it's not an everyday driver, probably not.

Unless I’m mistaken, Michelin don’t list ANY Agilis in a 235/55R17 - so maybe he was just referring back to their website? There are other Michelin in that size with a 103 load rating though (none of which requires a different wheel unless it’s a Runflat tyre):

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/browse-tyres/by-dimension/235/55/17/103

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agilis comes in higher 60 profile, not available in 55 profile.
Others have fitted the 235/60/17 Agilis.
I've got 235/60/17 104V but in the Crossclimate SUV version (cheaper than Agilis)
No clearance issues, Speedo says 70MPH Sat Nav 71MPH.

Agilis comes in higher 60 profile, not available in 55 profile.
Others have fitted the 235/60/17 Agilis.
I've got 235/60/17 104V but in the Crossclimate SUV version (cheaper than Agilis)
No clearance issues, Speedo says 70MPH Sat Nav 71MPH.
I’ve just spoken with a local independent garage, very helpful and have recommended I go for Michelin Cross Climate +. Think I will go with these as they are the same size and spec as the tyres I got from the factory.

I’ve just spoken with a local independent garage, very helpful and have recommended I go for Michelin Cross Climate +. Think I will go with these as they are the same size and spec as the tyres I got from the factory.
Curious, if you have a tread depth gauge could you check your new Michelins please.
Mine were 7mm, expected 8mm as that is quoted normal new depth.

Curious, if you have a tread depth gauge could you check your new Michelins please.
Mine were 7mm, expected 8mm as that is quoted normal new depth.
I can do when they are fitted on Wednesday.

+1 for the crossclimates

they seem the best bet for you, I changed to Goodyear vector gen 3 recently, more snow bias than cross climates but as you are in the SW England the extensive tyre test I based the judgment on recommended Cross climates for the southern England, unlikely to see much snow.

A couple of years ago I bought 4 brand new Cascavel 235 55 17 wheels and Dunlop tyres on EBay. They were brand new off of a Caravel. £500 .. What a bargain. Change them around now and again.
But still think the original 16 wheels are a better ride.

I bought 4 Continental VanContact tyres for around £500 a couple of years ago. The selling point of them was how quiet they are. I have to say they are amazingly quiet. We do a lot of motorway miles and you can hardly hear anything at 70. I like them a lot.
low rolling resistant better mpg and quiet.

A couple of years ago I bought 4 brand new Cascavel 235 55 17 wheels and Dunlop tyres on EBay. They were brand new off of a Caravel. £500 .. What a bargain. Change them around now and again.
Better choice of hard wearing tyres in the 16" wheels

Sounds like the garage didn’t have any CrossClimates in stock and wanted to sell you 4 tyres regardless of what you the consumer wanted.

Just make sure the next garage who change the tyres inflate with Summer Air and not Winter…

I had a similar deal when I bought a set of new Davenport wheels with Continental tyres for £500 from a van converter.

Sounds like the garage didn’t have any CrossClimates in stock and wanted to sell you 4 tyres regardless of what you the consumer wanted.

Just make sure the next garage who change the tyres inflate with Summer Air and not Winter…
It may have been a bit of an attitude on his part towards female van owners, who knows.

Thanks for the tip on summer air.

It may have been a bit of an attitude on his part towards female van owners, who knows.

Thanks for the tip on summer air.

Im only joking about the air.
I’m guessing they took one look and thought female, just sell her tyres, any old tyres.
I’ve used Blackcircle tyres over the years and always been great with one of their Premier trade partners to fit the tyres.
Worth a search :thumb