Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just got my first T4 and planning a christmas trip from Amsterdam to ireland

la Bollito

la Bollito

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello all,

Ive got my T4 last saturday here in the netherlands and love it already. Im very much a newbie but I think there is lots of info to be found here.
The plan is to leave the 9 - 5 at the end of may 2017 and to head off in search of advernture in Europe. Its a new phase for me and my T4 - la bollita will be a big part of it.
Im planning my first trip to Ireland via Cherbourg and Im both nervous and excited. Any tips are welcome !

regards
rosie

Good start. You've bought the right van.

What model have you got?
No shortage of knowledgeable smart arses here to help.

Best tip is relax and enjoy. You'll pick it up as you go and develope your own 'system' for sleeping/eating/organising etc.

Welcome.

Welcome , very brave to go overseas on your first trip .
Suppose you are not a camper-newbie?

Good start. You've bought the right van.

What model have you got?
No shortage of knowledgeable smart arses here to help.

Best tip is relax and enjoy. You'll pick it up as you go and develope your own 'system' for sleeping/eating/organising etc.

Welcome.

Thanks for the nice welcome !
what model ? mmm thought that was T4 ;)
eh California ? is that the model ? then that's what I have ..... see how new I am to this ;)

Welcome , very brave to go overseas on your first trip .
Suppose you are not a camper-newbie?

Hi Hotel California,

No fear - that's me !!
well lets see how I am in the new year ;)
I am Irish so its not new territory for me but Im new to camping and campervans.
Driving a left hand vehicle in Ireland will be challenging - any tips ?

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ( I think ;))

Ok , Irish and Dutch speaking as i seen in the other tread...:thumb
Or was that google translate? I speak Dutch butbon the forum i try to use my best school-Englisch (witch i just had one year of....)

I been twice to the UK in my LHD Cali and had no big troublles adapting to traffic , as for other RHD drivers arround me ...:D

I find it better than RHD. I put my side as close to the ditch as possible and let the oncoming worry about the other side.

That's my take on it, can't understand why her indoors wants a double passenger seat

Hi guys,

Im back in the lowlands and just wanted o let you know how I got on in the van on my trip to Ireland. In one word - fantastic !
It was great to get a good run down to Cherbourg from Amsterdam and I didn't expect it to be so nice to drive ;) High up the views are great. The ferry crossing to Rosslare was very quiet and relaxed and the initial fear of driving a LHD van on the left in Ireland were in vain. I did have a minor freak out south of Dublin on Naas dual carrige way as some nut job ran towards me on the road !! I thought it was curtains for him but he jumped out of the way just in time.

Sure I was looking for adventure but .....

I slept for the first time in the van on new years eve and woke up to a crisp morning near hookhead in wexford. I was toasty warm and getting a taste for the van life ! I spent a few days traveling around the south east coast and popped into www.campingbaby.ie/ to pick up one of those Ridgemonkey Sandwich Toaster thingys and cooked my first meal parked up in the sun over looking the sea.

Ahhhh its all making sense now ;)

Im planning on taking more and longer trips around Europe this summer and will hope to camp wild instead of camp grounds. Would anyone recommend adding solar panels to keep me off grid that bit longer ? Its not that I had issues just that I only stayed one night in the van so don't have any idea the leisure battery will last. Also is there a good resource for wild camping spot Europe wide here ?

here is a photo I shot near Kilmore Quay in wexford.
regards
rowexford boat.jpg

Ah, Hook Head. That's one of my favourite ever wildcamps :) Apart from being woken up every 3 seconds by the lighthouse :D

Looks like you had a great maidentrip!
Love to see more pictures.

There are lots of threads on Solar Panels here is a link to one of them
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-solar-panel.16824/ and there are more links to other threads within it. http://solarcampersolutions.co.uk/index.php/vw-t5-california-drill-free-kit are one supplier that many of us have used and he is also a Forum Trader.
Have you been further South West around West Cork & Bantry Bay?
Simon
Thanks SimonB
I will check it out
I really would like the freedom to go where I want and park up without being dependant on camp sites - although Im very new to it all ;)

Back