Just joined!

IanH777

IanH777

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hello everybody!
Thank you for allowing us to join.
I’ve recently retired and never having been in a motorhome before, Ross, my husband and I were lucky enough to be able to borrow a Hymer B544 for a 30 day tour around Western Scotland and the Outer Hebrides.
We are now two, very excited total converts to a life on the road and being part of this group.
We intend to order/buy a GC 680 but are having trouble finding one in Scotland to view or even hire before we commit, though: could anyone help by pointing us in the right direction, please?
Many thanks indeed.
Ian & Ross

7A71074F-C327-4292-B3A2-C2B62ED516B1.jpeg

Welcome Along Good luck in your search

:welcome Have a look at dealer stock on the VW commercials site, you will be able to see if there are any available and there location.

:welcome Have a look at dealer stock on the VW commercials site, you will be able to see if there are any available and there location.
Thank you, Karlos. We’ve already been down that road . We’re limited to Scotland atm because of lockdown but have already been in touch with VW Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness. We WERE able to see a GC 600 in 3D and, although loving it, have decided on a 680.

Welcome!

Did have a look around a GC but loo shower wayyyyy too tiny and bed (surprisingly) shorter than normal California. Build quality a bit iffy too. I like the more “covert” look of the Cali...have a look at Westfalia’s other VW 6.1 conversions, Keplers, Jokers etc , might suit you

Welcome!

Did have a look around a GC but loo shower wayyyyy too tiny and bed (surprisingly) shorter than normal California. Build quality a bit iffy too. I like the more “covert” look of the Cali...have a look at Westfalia’s other VW 6.1 conversions, Keplers, Jokers etc , might suit you
Thank you for that. Will do. Was it a 680 with the longitudinal or a 600 with the transverse bed that you looked at?

:welcome Clark Commercials in Aberdeen have either a 600 or 680 parked outside. At least they did a couple of weeks ago... maybe give them a call?

:welcome Clark Commercials in Aberdeen have either a 600 or 680 parked outside. At least they did a couple of weeks ago... maybe give them a call?
Thank you, Alison.
We went to Clark’s Commercials to have a look at it. It’s a 600 and although very nice indeed, we’ve decided to get a bigger one.

Thank you for that. Will do. Was it a 680 with the longitudinal or a 600 with the transverse bed that you looked at?
It was a full width bed in the back with the child's bed above the driver, I think it was a 680...was at the NEC 2019 Camping Show...I'm 6'5 and 130 KG so many campers' beds and many shower rooms are "snug"

:welcome Exciting times ahead! Good luck with your search.
@Tomato The 680 doesn't have a bed above the cab seats - only available in the 600.

:welcome Exciting times ahead! Good luck with your search.
@Tomato The 680 doesn't have a bed above the cab seats - only available in the 600.
Thank you, Mr T!
I have just been told by VW that there are no new 680s to be had in the country.

Anyone out there up here in Scotland who has one? Would you let us have a closer look at it, please?

Hello everybody!
Thank you for allowing us to join.
I’ve recently retired and never having been in a motorhome before, Ross, my husband and I were lucky enough to be able to borrow a Hymer B544 for a 30 day tour around Western Scotland and the Outer Hebrides.
We are now two, very excited total converts to a life on the road and being part of this group.
We intend to order/buy a GC 680 but are having trouble finding one in Scotland to view or even hire before we commit, though: could anyone help by pointing us in the right direction, please?
Many thanks indeed.
Ian & Ross

View attachment 68990
Hello and welcome. Good luck with your search for a GC. I hope it brings you in contact with a California Ocean, which might surprise you in its abilities...

Hello and welcome. Good luck with your search for a GC. I hope it brings you in contact with a California Ocean, which might surprise you in its abilities...
Thank you!

A new life beckons! Enjoy!!

Thank you, Mr T!
I have just been told by VW that there are no new 680s to be had in the country.

Anyone out there up here in Scotland who has one? Would you let us have a closer look at it, please?
If you haven't already, probably worth posting your request in the Grand California section of the forum. There are some about but can't remember locations.

Thank you, Mr T!

There are several on the VW vans used website, have you had a look there?

Congrats. I'm a Campervan virgin. Never even sat in one (USA doesn't import Cali's) but I sold my Porsche 993 and with the proceeds ordered a LHD Coast Editions sight unseen. I'm 57 and this maybe my path to early retirement in Europe starting next Autumn.