Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered Cali Ocean - Any advice on essential options please?

stuavo

stuavo

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi All,

We've just ordered an Ocean from VW in Liverpool and need to confirm the
final options imminently. I wondered if anyone would add anything to the options below
in their experience of using as camper van and daily driver - thanks

Current spec of options is:-

Volkswagen California Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG
Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Front and Rear Sensors with Rear View Camera
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen
Programmable Parking Heater
Removable 5th Seat (we have grandkids so need this)
Alloy Spare Wheel (this has been added to make sure we use up the £1000 factory options discount.)

Thanks and great to meet you all.

Stuart (Warrington)

Swap the engine for the 204. Then
Get ready for all the 150 engine is adequate comments.
Ditch heated screen. The air heater will do that for you unless your in a massive rush.
Think folding mirrors are standard.
Then some bling. Side bars. Chrome pack.
Enjoy

Hi All,

final options imminently. I wondered if anyone would add anything to the options below

Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen
Alloy Spare Wheel (this has been added to make sure we use up the £1000 factory options discount.)

Stuart (Warrington)
I would skip the alloy spare wheel, it’s going to be filthy anyway being under slung so stick with steel. Add the shower option very handy for cleaning mucky kids and animals.

Your spec is very close to my own. Here are my notes having been through a very similar exercise...

Woodstock alloys: there was some discussion of corrosion problems on all these diamond cut alloys. I eventually, for various reasons, went for Devonports.

Heated windscreen: Expensive to replace if stone chipped. Some people find the embedded wires affect their vision. Your standard parking heater has remote control according to the configurator.

Alloy spare wheel: as you are just spending the free options and you will seldom see this wheel you could look at some other stuff. 235 (wider) tyres either the free ones or the all seasons*. Rear shower* for cleaning stuff. Safe box for lock up storage. Extra two keys*. Extra storage drawer and net*. Direct tyre pressure monitoring*. Traffic sign recognition.

Stuff I wound up with indicated. I may regret the safe.

I hope this helps.

Similar spec here ordered in Feb although I went with steel 17” wheels. No tank upgrade available in Spain and the LED headlights are standard.
All I’d add to that is ACC (horses for courses but I personally wouldn’t get a vehicle without it) and the shower head (or artichoke as they call it here lol) for rinsing boots and bikes. I went for the light wood interior to contrast the dark blue paint, not that I know much about that kind of thing.

Did VW Liverpool give you an idea of timescale? I was advised not to expect much before Oct…

I love my heated windscreen. During the latest cold spells it took 30 seconds to clear the windscreen.

Also if the windscreen starts to go abit misty whilst driving I pop it on rather than the blowers.

Alloy spare not needed. Just a normal spare.

The rest is personal choice. Go with what you want.

I would skip the alloy spare wheel, it’s going to be filthy anyway being under slung so stick with steel.
Steel will rust.

Alloy is lighter so will increase your payload slightly + can avoid driving round with unmatched wheels until you find time to get the tyre fixed.

Last edited:
Hello,

Configuration of a California is a lot on personal choice, wishes and needs.

For example the heated windscreen. If I would in a position to get a new California I would certainly add this to it (especially it is not that expensive). Yes, the parking heater can clear the screen, but it will take a while. My camper is my daily drive and there were situations that I desperately would have needed the heated windscreen.

About the additional seat. We got one with the California too. Yes, the seat is removable, but it is so heavy that it is very difficult to get it in and out easily. Our seat was put in the camper at the dealer when we collected the van, than I took it out and now it is in the garage (for almost 4 years now).

Trailer hitch is handy. I would never go with the original bicycle holder again. It looks good, but it is not practical. I certainly would prefer to get a bicycle holder sitting on a trailer hitch. It is so much easier. If you plan to carry bicycles maybe you want to consider it.

I don't know if the digital cockpit is part of the Ocean in UK or not (many of your items on the list are standard in the Ocean here in Ireland). I certainly would go for the digital cockpit. It is not necessary, but it looks brilliant. And like the heated windscreen it is not that much more. Also I believe it will add value to the van if you ever plan to sell it.

You might want to consider to change the tyres. I good rid of the original Goodyear tyres. I thought they were terrible. Very often I had the spinning front wheels. I changed after 17k km to Michelin CrossClimate and it improved a lot.

Exiting times. I can imagine that while you are waiting for the new camper you will start to look for accessories. They are endless for the California. Enjoy the research and the new camper.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Similar spec here ordered in Feb although I went with steel 17” wheels. No tank upgrade available in Spain and the LED headlights are standard.
All I’d add to that is ACC (horses for courses but I personally wouldn’t get a vehicle without it) and the shower head (or artichoke as they call it here lol) for rinsing boots and bikes. I went for the light wood interior to contrast the dark blue paint, not that I know much about that kind of thing.

Did VW Liverpool give you an idea of timescale? I was advised not to expect much before Oct…
ACC is standard in the UK, as are:
Digital cockpit
LED Lights
Black Awning
Electric Folding Mirrors

I would consider Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) which enables the suspension to be firmed up on eg. winding roads, and softened round town/on motorways. Lots complain on here about the handling of heavy Californias, and some go for after market shock/spring options. Those who spec DCC seem to swear by it (may be confirmation bias kicking in of course) I thought it was worth a punt.

Hi All,

Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen

Stuart (Warrington)
All sounds pretty good but wouldn’t bother with the Alloy Spare. If you’re looking for options on spending the £1k consider a dash cam , we put that on our £1k spend.

Hi All,

Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen

Stuart (Warrington)
Sounds great as it is.:thumb

Comfort mattress, extended storage and safe and good value options, we've also gone for pro media, wood effect floor and electric side door, they are certainly personal preference and in no way essential!

I think the middle seats are about 45kg each. I’m in a first floor flat. No lift. No parking outside. It’s a pain to do and their metal feet will ruin your wood effect floor if you spec it. I bought a trolley to do most of the hard work but they still have to be lugged upstairs and they are an awkward shape.
This is a T5 Multivan but the seats/rails are identical I believe.

Good afternoon,

I would wait a wee bit with the comfort mattress. We got one with our van and it is killing my back. I simply can't sleep on it anymore.

As soon as the lockdown is over I will contact 2x companies who offer foam for mattress and see if they will work with me to replace the foam inside the comfort (which is for me certainly not comfortable) mattress.

Looking back I would prefer to check it out more before I buy the mattress.

Happy soft sleeping California,
Eberhard

If I was ordering a new one:
  • All season tyres
  • Extra keys
  • Shower
  • Extra bench drawer
  • Chrome pack
  • Tow bar (prep as minimum)
  • Mudguards
  • Possibly the Driver’s Assistance Pack.

I’m presuming this is just from the options list and not VW/Brandrup accessories that can be ordered from the dealer.

Having done 7000 miles in my Cali, I would add ACC. The normal cruise control is OK, but the ability to follow a vehicle doing the same speed on motorways would be a great benefi.

4 motion if you are camping in all weathers
extra key set as has been said
enjoy

Only thing I regret speccing is the safe. Pointless and never used.

All season tyres are are no brainer.
We got the fifth seat and actually use it, so no 4 motion, but good tyres and traction mats have been great (stop grass churning up too).

150 had been great, the bus never feels underpowered. Mattress fine.
Maybe should have got HD roll bars but not sure.

Re aftermarket, the ISO top insulation has essential for us.
Bizarrely the bespoke bin had been a real hit, really expensive, but worth it. Wish I had got it sooner, avoids having to move it everytime the passenger seat is swivelled.

Hi All,

Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen

Stuart (Warrington)
I had some strange experience with „engine errors“ that the VW garage told me could be safely be ignored. Only when I got a second opinion did the VW garage do £6000 worth of warranty work.
Be critical.

If it freezes in winter where you are located put silicone spray on the door seals. My passenger door seal was frozen to the body causing it to become detached when the door was opened.

Beware of the mid-van blind spot when manoeuvring in parks. A hazard of around 30 cm will do a lot of damage. You can get nice little stick-on convexed mirrors on your door mirror to get a line of sight.

Swap the engine for the 204. Then
Get ready for all the 150 engine is adequate comments.
Ditch heated screen. The air heater will do that for you unless your in a massive rush.
Think folding mirrors are standard.
Then some bling. Side bars. Chrome pack.
Enjoy
agree with this, I’ve got the heated windscreen and it’s unnecessary. One thing I don’t have that I’d like is blind spot monitoring. Also, if you’re getting the 204, consider 4motion, I find mine wheel spins in pretty much all conditions, better tyres have helped but it still does it, it ate the stock tyres. The 4motion owners on here might be able to comment but from what I understand it makes a big difference.
If you’ve got money to burn, the showers pretty cool on ours, great for cleaning Sandy feet.

I think it’s standard now on an Ocean, same as LED headlights.
Ahhh yeah if it’s not I’d spec this too. Makes life so much easier.

Only thing I regret speccing is the safe. Pointless and never used.

All season tyres are are no brainer.
We got the fifth seat and actually use it, so no 4 motion, but good tyres and traction mats have been great (stop grass churning up too).

150 had been great, the bus never feels underpowered. Mattress fine.
Maybe should have got HD roll bars but not sure.

Re aftermarket, the ISO top insulation has essential for us.
Bizarrely the bespoke bin had been a real hit, really expensive, but worth it. Wish I had got it sooner, avoids having to move it everytime the passenger seat is swivelled.
Do you have a link to the bespoke bin please?

Had blind spot monitoring. Didn't find it any advantage on UK roads as l find the mirrors to be excellent. Probably would be of some advantage if ever we're allowed the other side of the channel again.
DSG 4Motion, bliss. No more scrubbing tires on mountain hairpin bends. Fear not the muddy campsite.

Back