Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kampa Travel Pod Air

Lloydfred

Lloydfred

2010 2.0 140ps California SE Fresco Green
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

Today I spent the day looking to purchase a new drive away awning. After 4 hours of detailed comparison, I whittled it down to two products, the Vango Gally 2 and the new Kampa Travel Pod Air. I've got to be honest initially I thought this year's version of the popular Vango Gally was going to win hands down. However I felt the new Kampa was a serious contender for this year's must have awning.

The Kampa has a few advantages over the Vango (listed below)

• Larger open porch area - This is a really useful addition that's large enough to sit out with table and chairs.
  • Larger living area - it's not a lot more room but it does appear more user friendly.
  • Removable double sleeping pod included within the price - Vango sleeping pods are only available in singles at £45.00 each.
  • Extra mid point entry door. - This extra door could prove useful.
  • Accessories priced keenly - £25 for foot print & £35 for carpet.
  • Level access front door entry point - the Vango only has level access to van door and the main entry point still has that annoying trip hazard step through.
The most competitive price I've found for the Kampa with foot print and carpet was £865.00 with free delivery.

The Vango with the same shopping basket came in at circa £1000.00

Well like I said after 4 hours I decided to think about it. Not because I wasn't sure the Kampa wasn't a cracking buy. No it was purely because they also offer this awning in polly-cotton at £1,200

Last edited:
Please give us a call or email at the shop as we are an authorised dealer for both Vango and Kampa and we guarantee to beat any price on drive away awnings for VIP members.

Thanks EVWC,

What's your opinion as a dealer? I also liked the fact the Kampa comes in L/H or R/H tunnel. I'm assuming that as my sliding door on on the drivers side, in order to have my noise out I need the R/H tunnel.

Also polly-cotton is a first for drive aways I think.

I have to be honest, we have only recently become a Kampa dealer so we are yet to familiarise ourselves with all the models, do remember thought that the Galli also comes in a left and right sided version too.

Please feel free to give us a call, we will happily go through things with you.

EVWC,you recently put a post up for a new awning you had in, I can’t find it. Please can you point in right direction
:thanks

We got the Kampa Travel Pod Air (2017) last autumn and are most satisfied with it.

It is our first drive away awning, so we have not much to compare with. But we tend to be very oriented into detail, and the awning seems very well and cleverly made. Relatively easy to take up and down. and quite compact packing size.

We got the last one on sale for just 340 £ wish was primarily why we took it. We had been thru all the research and decided if we would buy one, it should be the Kampa Travel Pod Air, but then decided not to have one after all - until I found the bargain by coincidence ;-)

IMG_5999.JPG

Hi sorry I failed to identify the one in looking at is the touring version, it's a bit larger as I have a young one. This salesman tried to upsell me the Vango based on the thickness of material.

kampa-classic-side-view.JPG

Last edited:
Hi sorry I failed to identify the one in looking at is the touring version, it's a bit larger as I have a young one. This salesman tried to upsell me the Vango based on the thickness of material.
View attachment 29568

That's something quite differed, but I think the quality is the same ;-)

It is huge. It is important to consider how to dry the awning if you have to back it down wet.

Off today to buy the Kampa Travel Pod Air Touring in Polly-Cotton.

Yeah I'm extremely happy, when I got to the retailer I nearly buckled and went for the standard fabric. But after some negotiation I ended up with the Polly-Cotton version.

Its a great awning and with a 6 year old it more than meets our needs. Also picked up the digital pump, Sabre link Flex light system, foot print and fitted carpet.

kampa-classic-side-view (1).JPG

It looks great, but also looks huge?
I’ve been looking at the vango Gali 2 compact but again it’s quite big but might opt for the kela.
It looks bigger than the van?!

It looks great, but also looks huge?
I’ve been looking at the vango Gali 2 compact but again it’s quite big but might opt for the kela.
It looks bigger than the van?!

It's roughly the same size as the Vango, however the internal lounge space is slightly larger than the Vango.

It also has a level entry whereas the Vango has a step over. The Kampa's bedroom pods fit the awning better as the Vango's are generic pods that are used in other designs. We won't use the sleeping pods, but they are included free in the Kampa whereas they are a £90 extra on the Vango.

It's a great awning and with the digital pump it will be effortless inflated. Only time will tell if the upgrade to Polly-Cotton was worth it

It's roughly the same size as the Vango, however the internal lounge space is slightly larger than the Vango.

It also has a level entry whereas the Vango has a step over. The Kampa's bedroom pods fit the awning better as the Vango's are generic pods that are used in other designs. We won't use the sleeping pods, but they are included free in the Kampa whereas they are a £90 extra on the Vango.

It's a great awning and with the digital pump it will be effortless inflated. Only time will tell if the upgrade to Polly-Cotton was worth it

How are you getting on with your awning @Lloydfred? I’ve narrowed it down to exactly the same two awnings as you. Price considerations are the same as you point out but I’m tempted by the larger porch on the Kampa and the fact that you can add on extra bits at the front.
The negative is I think the standard Kampa is only 250 gm fabric vs 400 on the Vango (both ‘ripstop type fabric). I’m almost as indecisive as I am, accident prone, so it’s not an easy choice.

Sorry to hijack the post!

We have some great deals on Kampa and Vango awnings this month for club members including some special bundle deals. We can also tailor deals just for you. We now stock the poly Cotton touring from Kampa.

Please call Paul or Nick on 01246 912712 and mention this post.

what is the width of the pitch required when you have the Kampa Airpod touring hooked up to the cali? can you fit on a 5m wide pitch?

View attachment 29568
do you know the total width when attached to cali? will it fit on a 5m pitch?

Sorry to hijack the post!

We have some great deals on Kampa and Vango awnings this month for club members including some special bundle deals. We can also tailor deals just for you. We now stock the poly Cotton touring from Kampa.

Please call Paul or Nick on 01246 912712 and mention this post.
hi Do you know what the total width would be when attached to the California? will it fit on a 5m wide camping pitch?

Is it still for sale?

I have a California. So is yours for right side of vehicle or left?

thanks.

I am unable to POST in the advertisement you have listed Lloydfred, I assume I have either not posted enough times or I need to be a paid member.

I am an Australian living in The Netherlands and I might be interested in your awning.

I also don't know if I can private message you... maybe you are able to private message me?

Thanks Lloydfred.