Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kampa Travel Pod Mini real-life pictures

BayCatOne

BayCatOne

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Does anyone have any good pictures of what the Kampa Travel Pod Mini Drive Away Awning can look like with a Cali table and chairs inside? The shop pictures doesn't really say much and the few others that I've found online are usually not that high-res so you can see. You can only get so much out of putting sticks on the ground and placing the table and chairs within that space.

The real question is that we (supposedly) need an awning for longer stays in the summer months - I've been told. Happy wife, happy life ;). We did the first summer without one which was not a problem but we had little to no rain. Also looking to do longer trips in Europe soon and I can see that it would serve a purpose as we have kids, inspired by Amarillo's setup with their drive awning.

Pictures like these found here would be helpful
https://au-revoir.eu/2018/04/20/day-291-292-gradac/
https://au-revoir.eu/2017/06/20/day-5-lubeck/

EDIT: pictures of our Kamp Travel Pod Mini setup https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/kampa-travel-pod-mini-real-life-pictures.27427/post-341574

Last edited:
We have a Travel Pod and a Gybe. Together with our wind out Thule omnistor awning. Normally we use the mounted awning during the summer travels, and only the Gybe or Pod in the outer seasons. We first got the Gybe this autumns so we might take it along in the future summer trips. But we would never consider to bring the Pod to warmer climate summer trips.

There are huge different between them. The Pod is very tent like and you easy fell very "enclosed" and cramped when closed. Walking around on plastic when the ground sheet is in use (wish on the other hand is good when it is pouring). The Gybe is bigger and lighter and more pavilion like, and gives a lot more spacious feeling.

So if you need a tent situation i.e. to sleep in the tent at a festival or meet, and the weather is unpredictable, the Pod gives you that. If you want a more spacious feeling with protection from wind or sun (And rain), the Gybe is much better, and it is faster to set up and takes around half the space than the Pod. At one point we where +10 people sitting in the Gybe at the Rømø Meet all cosy ;-)

For daily use and to-go the mounted awing is also good to have, most easy to set up and takes no space in the car. Byt is more sensible to wind i.e. And sides of some sort is a must in my opinion. But the Omnistor is perfect if you seek every breeze staying in the shade in the hot summer. But also for creating a little extra dry area outside your door when poor weather is up. If on there road I bad weather, we take out the omnistor just a little and but on the wide side - that gives you a dry zone to place you're wells and coat, and hinders the rain to fall into the car when opening the sliding door.

Both Gybe and Pod has the disadvantage in continuous bad weather when you need to pack it down wet. At some point it gets a mess and you need to get ei all up to dry. So we only use them in poor weather if we really need the extra space.

So there are many needs and possibilities to take into consideration ;-)

IMG_5958.JPG
Big plastic windows gives nice view but also makes you feel a little inside a plastic bag. Many options for strapping the Pos securely to the ground.

ElMXjPJGR3mVrwzQEEhVcA.jpg
Mounted on the Omnistor with a little extra space between. At the Roskilde Festival my daughter and her boyfriend sleep in the Pod and I in the Cali, and we had the whole awning rolled out with sides between - plenty of space. And the Pod is good for that.

20626774_10157091355509988_850263962402400081_o.jpg
Omnistor with sides in a hot summer. Lets every single breeze pas by, very open and only purpose is to give shade …

IUndTlVDTY6i9WmMpEFffg.jpg
The Gybe at F1 in Spa on a very small space. You can tell it gives a lot of space in addition to the cali.

LqfuZR+SSwifIgMqP8N+Wg.jpg
And again at the Rømø Meet where it stood against heavy rain and +30 knots winds thru the nights with no problem at all. Livingspace extended and you can even close it completely and drive away letting it stand behind.

%ZKp8k%ARDCrdO8lfttJ5g.jpg
Packs quite small in the booth …

We have a Travel Pod and a Gybe. Together with our wind out Thule omnistor awning. Normally we use the mounted awning during the summer travels, and only the Gybe or Pod in the outer seasons. We first got the Gybe this autumns so we might take it along in the future summer trips. But we would never consider to bring the Pod to warmer climate summer trips.

There are huge different between them. The Pod is very tent like and you easy fell very "enclosed" and cramped when closed. Walking around on plastic when the ground sheet is in use (wish on the other hand is good when it is pouring). The Gybe is bigger and lighter and more pavilion like, and gives a lot more spacious feeling.

So if you need a tent situation i.e. to sleep in the tent at a festival or meet, and the weather is unpredictable, the Pod gives you that. If you want a more spacious feeling with protection from wind or sun (And rain), the Gybe is much better, and it is faster to set up and takes around half the space than the Pod. At one point we where +10 people sitting in the Gybe at the Rømø Meet all cosy ;-)

For daily use and to-go the mounted awing is also good to have, most easy to set up and takes no space in the car. Byt is more sensible to wind i.e. And sides of some sort is a must in my opinion. But the Omnistor is perfect if you seek every breeze staying in the shade in the hot summer. But also for creating a little extra dry area outside your door when poor weather is up. If on there road I bad weather, we take out the omnistor just a little and but on the wide side - that gives you a dry zone to place you're wells and coat, and hinders the rain to fall into the car when opening the sliding door.

Both Gybe and Pod has the disadvantage in continuous bad weather when you need to pack it down wet. At some point it gets a mess and you need to get ei all up to dry. So we only use them in poor weather if we really need the extra space.

So there are many needs and possibilities to take into consideration ;-)

View attachment 39180
Big plastic windows gives nice view but also makes you feel a little inside a plastic bag. Many options for strapping the Pos securely to the ground.

View attachment 39181
Mounted on the Omnistor with a little extra space between. At the Roskilde Festival my daughter and her boyfriend sleep in the Pod and I in the Cali, and we had the whole awning rolled out with sides between - plenty of space. And the Pod is good for that.

View attachment 39182
Omnistor with sides in a hot summer. Lets every single breeze pas by, very open and only purpose is to give shade …

View attachment 39183
The Gybe at F1 in Spa on a very small space. You can tell it gives a lot of space in addition to the cali.

View attachment 39184
And again at the Rømø Meet where it stood against heavy rain and +30 knots winds thru the nights with no problem at all. Livingspace extended and you can even close it completely and drive away letting it stand behind.

View attachment 39185
Packs quite small in the booth …

Is the Gybe a drive away? It looks really good. Would be interested in where you can get it.

Thank you very much for that info and also another option/alternative.

Ok so now after some research, @Kmann why did you tell me about the Gybe again? Way more than I was initially thinking of spending but the versatility of it sure beats the Kampa Mini.

:thanks

Ok so now after some research, @Kmann why did you tell me about the Gybe again? Way more than I was initially thinking of spending but the versatility of it sure beats the Kampa Mini.

:thanks

Sorry … ;-)

Hi, I have been looking at one of these for a while but just need to be syre its wirth the money. When its raining how does it with no panel on rhe front snd how long does it take to put up?

Hi, I have been looking at one of these for a while but just need to be syre its wirth the money. When its raining how does it with no panel on rhe front snd how long does it take to put up?

It takes 5 min to get up after you have done it a couple of times. Depending on the wind direction, the slightly tilted shape of the Gybe makes it difficult for rain to enter the living space.

Ok, to help anyone else looking into buying a Kampa Travel Pod Mini here are some real life pictures after the first pitch. Took approximately 45 minutes the first time.

We vouch for that it’s big enough for two adults and two kids. Four adults with four VW chairs would work too but that’s the limit without making sacrifices.

D4F244D7-647E-4C2B-8C10-FEE06DA59A8D.jpegFC1D3DA9-84B5-4415-BF12-468E82B748B7.jpeg