Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kayak on Cali

Y

ymfb

We have a two person Kayak, which we used to just get on to Blodwen the type 2. Dilys the Cali is a lot higher so before we give it a go at loading/unloading I wondered if anyone has any tips.

We use a pair of Thule slider bars that slide out about 0.75m to the side of the bus. Ceri then holds the back end of the kayak at about chest height while I lift the front end on to the front bar.I then take the back end from her and swing it out, up and on to the back bar. Both bars are then simultaneously pushed back in. Works fine for us with a tandem kayak (Perception prodigy 2).
The bars aren't cheap,about £200 I think but they do the job. We already had the bars when we got the bus so haven't tried it without them - and wouldn't want to either!

Paul and Ceri

Haven't I'm afraid.I'll take one next time we load them up but it will be in a few weeks
If I remember correctly the Thule website have good videos of their bars etc so you may get an idea of the bars from there.

They certainly sell something suitable, I just looks industrial and it's another £500. Whilst we may well end up spending that, we will have to exhaust a few other options first. Thanks for the linky

I used to have a 2 person kayak before i got my single, it used to weigh around 30kg and was quite easy to put on the roof from the back and slide it on to the roof bars, a step is handy to take with you also for strapping it down.

If you have a bike rack, I stand my kayak upright at the back, push it up against the bike rack and slide it up that way. Acts as a kind of roller. Job done.

Silverboat said:
If you have a bike rack, I stand my kayak upright at the back, push it up against the bike rack and slide it up that way. Acts as a kind of roller. Job done.

same here, works fine even with a 32kg two seater.

I want to be able to carry either 2 sea kayaks or a tandem canadian so I am very tempted by the Karitec system. However I'm not sure whether to go for the full Karitec roof rack (fixes directly to the roof tracks) or to get some regular bars and the version of the Karitec which fixes to the regular bars.

Bar + rack may be more flexible but the version that doesn't need bars would work out cheaper (no bars required) and I guess would be lighter than the bars + rack combo. Has anybody invested in the Karitec roof rack? if you have the full rack could you envisage a scenario where you would just want to use plain rails without the Karitec?

I want to be able to carry either 2 sea kayaks or a tandem canadian so I am very tempted by the Karitec system. However I'm not sure whether to go for the full Karitec roof rack (fixes directly to the roof tracks) or to get some regular bars and the version of the Karitec which fixes to the regular bars.

Bar + rack may be more flexible but the version that doesn't need bars would work out cheaper (no bars required) and I guess would be lighter than the bars + rack combo. Has anybody invested in the Karitec roof rack? if you have the full rack could you envisage a scenario where you would just want to use plain rails without the Karitec?
I've got a Kari Tek on my car (fixed to roof rack & rails) and am also looking at the options for my Cali. I reckon the version that fits directly to the rails would be my first choice if I don't use my existing set up. The Kari Tek is great but does take a lot of time and effort to fit and is quite bulky. So anything that simplifies the set up and reduces the amount of ironwork on the roof would be good. The Kari Tek is quite heavy. Also getting a Canadian canoe loaded onto the Kari Tek, even on the car is still a bit of a challenge single handed. So I'm keen to see if anyone else has the answer!

I have a Karitek for my Canadian. Its brilliant, if a little industrial looking. I can load it safely by myself, although I wouldn't attempt it in any sort of wind. Once strapped on, lifting up onto the roof is very easy. Without the Karitek, I wouldn't relish loading the canoe with 2 people, let alone by myself. Took a little time to set up so that the bow drops down over the wing mirror. I haven't tried lifting the roof with the boat on top. Shouldn't be a problem as my canoe is under 30kg. You can leave the main bars on and take the sliding section off in 2 minutes if you wish. It would be useful if they made a square or aerofoil section to slide onto the bare bars to use as a standard rack. Next project is to make some brackets up for it to carry our new tandem. I could do with a set of the kayak J bars too.

karitek1.jpg

karitek2.jpg

Rich-s set up looks like the business. I guess the rails that are fixed to the roof could be used as you would "normal" roof bars if the sliding carrier was removed?

There is nothing stopping you using the rails as normal roof bars. However you would probably want to put pipe insulation type covers on them, as the bars of the rack have inverted 'V's for the runners to roll on, which could damage whatever your tying down.

Reactions: DM
There is nothing stopping you using the rails as normal roof bars. However you would probably want to put pipe insulation type covers on them, as the bars of the rack have inverted 'V's for the runners to roll on, which could damage whatever your tying down.
Yep, I know what you mean, the inverted V is the same as my existing car set up. I do rate Kari Tek. They are extremely helpful.

Reactions: DM