Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kayak rack for VW Roofbars - wanted

Y

ymfb

Hi,

I looking to carry two single kayaks on our 2013 Cali, we have the VW roof bars.

previously we had a double kayak and I was able to load it from the back on my own by lifting one end and parking it on the rear roof bar, then picking up the other end of the kayak and walk it towards the van until it was positioned equally.

Has anyone bought something to secure a pair of kayaks onto the VW roof bars ?

I use Thule setup - a simple and effective solution Thule Rapid racks + kayak support 520-1...
You need a ladder for loading / unloading, but otherwise works great.
1503822_10152032442142339_187804019_n.jpg
10516759_10152293023242339_7810183664393090301_n.jpg
11145072_10152844896927339_6311009409060987525_n.jpg

bvirc, do the Thule racks fit the VW bars or is your set-up entirely Thule ?

Just looking for some bars to carry a Bic Trinidad, looks like Thule is the better option here.

I'm thinking of getting the Thule Sliding System - anyone have any experience with it? I imagine I'd only be able to slide it out on one side due to the awning..?

I've just gone for a cheap RUK option for my VW roof bars, after months of looking I just couldn't justify the cost of the nicer systems for the amount of use it will get. Plan to install at the weekend and try it out.

The slide system looks very nice, mine is similar but a fraction of the price. I will let you know how we get on with it.

I'm thinking of getting the Thule Sliding System - anyone have any experience with it? I imagine I'd only be able to slide it out on one side due to the awning..?

Barry we had the slider bars and they worked fine for us with tandem kayaks. They slide out both sides very easily. You need a foldable step ladder to fasten the kayaks on.
Sold ours to another member on here not long ago as we no longer have the kayaks. He may reply if he sees this and say how he is getting on with them.

Barry we had the slider bars and they worked fine for us with tandem kayaks. They slide out both sides very easily. You need a foldable step ladder to fasten the kayaks on.
Sold ours to another member on here not long ago as we no longer have the kayaks. He may reply if he sees this and say how he is getting on with them.
Many thanks Archie - did you notice any rattling from the bars when they were loaded / without load? Cheers

Wouldn't you be better with something like this?
roof-rack-for-kayak1.jpg

http://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/campervan-feature/roof-rack-systems/

Thanks Loz - I looked at that system but I think mostly I'll be using it for a roof box so it's better if it stays level when it slides out so stuff doesn't fall out of it.

Many thanks Archie - did you notice any rattling from the bars when they were loaded / without load? Cheers

No rattling, there is a tiny bit of lateral movement when unloaded due to the sliding movement but it's tight movement if you know what I mean.
They are an ugly lump of a thing so not the sort of thing you want to leave on when not in use, but do the job.
See attached photo.
image.jpeg

I've just gone for a cheap RUK option for my VW roof bars, after months of looking I just couldn't justify the cost of the nicer systems for the amount of use it will get. Plan to install at the weekend and try it out.

The slide system looks very nice, mine is similar but a fraction of the price. I will let you know how we get on with it.
Should probably add this setup isn't really much use on a cali as it doesnt extend far enough out to be useful.

It was me that bought the slidebars from @Archie. They do the job admirably althoughj they are a bit industrial.

Back