Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping bikes below roofline with T6 bikerack

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've received lots of advice from members but haven't been able to give much back so far, so thought I would share this. I have a new Ocean with T6 bike rack and wanted to keep the bikes below 2m for travel in France: getting under barriers, fuel consumption etc etc.

I managed to buy at a reasonable price san remo bike racks, one for a wheel and one for a fork mounted frame (per bike):

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/elite-bicycle-carrier-new-san-remo-universal-without-rail
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/elite-extra-holder-porta-ruata-80-for-dismounted-front-wheel
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ds/legitim-chopping-board-white-art-90202268/

By lowering the saddle and mounting at the fork, you can keep the frame below roof height. You could just carry the front wheel in the van or tie it to the bike, but I decided to go the full hog and buy 2 wheel holders that will sit side by side on one rail of the T6 rack. This way I can carry 2 bikes, with wheels mounted separately, using 3 rails of the rack.

You don't need all the san remo pieces you buy. I was wondering how to attach the san remo bits to the T6 bike rack and think I had a brainwave (well maybe not if it falls to bits after use but it looks like it will be good)! I discovered an IKEA chopping board is the perfect fit to slide into the T6 rack after removing the end cap. It's very easy to cut to size and drill holes through, but I hope strong and rigid enough to do the job. If you wanted a Rolls Royce solution I guess you could get some aluminum pieces made up. Finally I had to buy some stainless steel bolts to bolt the san remo bits to the ikea plastic and then simply slide them into the T6 rack. One thing I like is that you don't need to drill or cut the T6 rack and it's adjustable in that you can slide the ikea bit along the rail.

There will be other solutions I'm sure and cheaper ways as well.

IMG_20170330_112154.jpg

IMG_20170330_112230.jpg

IMG_20170330_112246.jpg

IMG_20170330_112313.jpg

img_20170330_112246-jpg.20557
The red bike is a Thorn Raven Tour from SJS Cycles in Bridgwater.

Nice.

I've received lots of advice from members but haven't been able to give much back so far, so thought I would share this. I have a new Ocean with T6 bike rack and wanted to keep the bikes below 2m for travel in France: getting under barriers, fuel consumption etc etc.
Only a very small point. Is there a specific reason why you would want to keep below 2m in France, as opposed to any other European country other than for getting under barriers and fuel consumption?

OK, never really thought about this too much. How do the tolls know which category you belong to? I've been to France many, many times with bikes on the roof of the car - certainly over two metres, and never paid a premium that I was aware of. I am intrigued.
That said we do try and avoid tolls anyway unless we have a deadline, like a ferry, to meet.

OK, never really thought about this too much. How do the tolls know which category you belong to? I've been to France many, many times with bikes on the roof of the car - certainly over two metres, and never paid a premium that I was aware of. I am intrigued.
That said we do try and avoid tolls anyway unless we have a deadline, like a ferry, to meet.
As you drive up to the peage your vehicle is measured, by laser I assume, and you pay depending on the height of your vehicle. You sometimes see a vehicle with a roof box causing a delay because they have been measured over two meters and then the ticket comes out at a higher level where the driver can't see it because the peage thinks they are in a van or something big.

As you drive up to the peage your vehicle is measured, by laser I assume, and you pay depending on the height of your vehicle. You sometimes see a vehicle with a roof box causing a delay because they have been measured over two meters and then the ticket comes out at a higher level where the driver can't see it because the peage thinks they are in a van or something big.
Thanks - never knew that.

We are in Brugge tonight en route to Hannover for Club Meet at Vw factory . We crossed Poole Cherbourg and have driven up along the Normandie Beaches , Le Touquet so quite a bit of 130 kph . We have 2 bikes on vw rack and they are higher than van by about 9 ins and a bit wider ( 4 ins each side ). I'd say our mpg is down by 5 mpg from 33 to 28 at high speed so your idea Stephen of lowering bikes has got to help .

Also if you have
Only a very small point. Is there a specific reason why you would want to keep below 2m in France, as opposed to any other European country other than for getting under barriers and fuel consumption?

If using a tag to pay for tolls in france there are specific lanes that you can drive through at up to 30kph without stopping these are restricted by barriers to vehicles under 2m high

Has anyone got experience of putting Bromptons on the bike carrier - and if so whether they can be attached easily with the saddle/ handlebars in the low/folded position (but with the bike unfolded).

According to this info on the Sanef website tolls are based upon the vehicle height and exclude roof loads.

4.6. What if I have a roofbox or bike on the roof and need a toll adjusting?
If you are a Class 1 vehicle and have a roof load such as a roof box or bicycle that takes your overall height over 2m, you will still be charged as a Class 1 vehicle. There is equipment (laser and 3D imaging) in the Liber-t lanes that can distinguish between 'Class 1 + roofload' and Class 2 vehicles. You should be charged at Class 1 rate.

Occasionally however, this auto detection equipment may incorrectly identify you as Class 2. We advise you to check your bill when you receive it or view your future toll balance in your 'Account Summary' area and if you have been incorrectly charged at Class 2 rate, please open a toll adjustment request. Just go to your 'Account Summary' area, scroll down and next to 'My Tags' click 'View Tolls', click on the toll you wish to be adjusted, click 'Raise a Toll Adjustment Request' and complete the toll adjustment request form. We will ensure that you are reimbursed the difference the following month. Toll adjustments must be requested within 3 months of the transaction date.

It is great if you can keep the height down as this allows you to shoot through the auto lane at 30k/h with a sanef tag

It is great if you can keep the height down as this allows you to shoot through the auto lane at 30k/h with a sanef tag
I was in france a couple of weeks ago and there were lanes open with no height restriction that allowed 30km speed. I love my sanef tag, time saver!!

I can see that. If it's a case of a few inches. I want to take a sea kayak to Corsica. The important thing for me is that the vehicle is Class 1 irrespective of the roof load. Otherwise the additional cost to take my kayak would be about 70 Euros each way.

I managed to buy at a reasonable price san remo bike racks, one for a wheel and one for a fork mounted frame (per bike):

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/elite-bicycle-carrier-new-san-remo-universal-without-rail
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/elite-extra-holder-porta-ruata-80-for-dismounted-front-wheel
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ds/legitim-chopping-board-white-art-90202268/

By lowering the saddle and mounting at the fork, you can keep the frame below roof height. You could just carry the front wheel in the van or tie it to the bike, but I decided to go the full hog and buy 2 wheel holders that will sit side by side on one rail of the T6 rack. This way I can carry 2 bikes, with wheels mounted separately, using 3 rails of the rack.

You don't need all the san remo pieces you buy. I was wondering how to attach the san remo bits to the T6 bike rack and think I had a brainwave (well maybe not if it falls to bits after use but it looks like it will be good)! I discovered an IKEA chopping board is the perfect fit to slide into the T6 rack after removing the end cap. It's very easy to cut to size and drill holes through, but I hope strong and rigid enough to do the job. If you wanted a Rolls Royce solution I guess you could get some aluminum pieces made up. Finally I had to buy some stainless steel bolts to bolt the san remo bits to the ikea plastic and then simply slide them into the T6 rack. One thing I like is that you don't need to drill or cut the T6 rack and it's adjustable in that you can slide the ikea bit along the rail.

View attachment 20555

View attachment 20556

View attachment 20557

View attachment 20558
Great idea, with the bikes below roofline you could also put a cover on them if you wanted to keep dirt and rain off them.

I was in france a couple of weeks ago and there were lanes open with no height restriction that allowed 30km speed. I love my sanef tag, time saver!!
Were you over height. Reading a few posts elsewhere it seems that the measuring is not always accurate and that there is no i dication of how much you are charged on the tag at the time. But aparently it will show on the account and they will readilly refund any over-charges. Does anyone have experience of that?

We were misread sometimes with bikes on the back - mostly class 1 but sometimes not...

View attachment 20555

View attachment 20556

View attachment 20557

View attachment 20558
Stephen, I have just made one, took all of 5 minutes. Thanks for sharing. I had to slightly reduce the thickness of the chopping board using a detail sander.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 14.14.03.png

Stephen, I have just made one, took all of 5 minutes. Thanks for sharing. I had to slightly reduce the thickness of the chopping board using a detail sander.

View attachment 20623
That's really neat! Probably quite a bit cheaper than all the san remo bits as well. I bought my bits blind and thought the 2 holes of the Saris wouldn't be wide enough to bolt down either side of the rack - I was imagining I would need a plate underneath. I didn't have the chopping board idea until after I'd got the pieces. I had to sand mine as well, but by hand and it was easy. Originally I was wondering whether to buy the san remo wheel holders but now I'm pleased I did. They are adjustable in that they don't have to hold the wheels vertically at 90 degrees. The bars on mine are around 45 degrees which means you can also use the vw rack wheel clamp to hold the bottom of the wheel.
I hope IKEA chopping board is designed for this!

That's really neat! Probably quite a bit cheaper than all the san remo bits as well. I bought my bits blind and thought the 2 holes of the Saris wouldn't be wide enough to bolt down either side of the rack - I was imagining I would need a plate underneath. I didn't have the chopping board idea until after I'd got the pieces. I had to sand mine as well, but by hand and it was easy. Originally I was wondering whether to buy the san remo wheel holders but now I'm pleased I did. They are adjustable in that they don't have to hold the wheels vertically at 90 degrees. The bars on mine are around 45 degrees which means you can also use the vw rack wheel clamp to hold the bottom of the wheel.
I hope IKEA chopping board is designed for this!
It is strong and even if the plastic broke the bar that locks the bike to the frame would hold the bike. No chance if it falling off the rack

No, this was at the cash booths not dongle whatsit. :)