Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping the underbody clean!

coordinated

coordinated

VIP Member
Would anyone recommend getting the underbody of the Cali wax-oiled?

(After a quick read-up, that's something I'd pay for rather than do myself!)

I appreciate that the van comes with a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty, but I'm conscious that we live near the coast, and our Cali's likely to spend all of its time outdoors (we don't have a garage)...

Alternatively, would just hosing its underparts ( :oops: ) down regularly (fortnightly? monthly?) be enough?

Bear in mind I haven't owned a (4-wheeled) vehicle for 20 odd years - let alone a shiny, expensive, new one - so any advice is welcomed!

Thanks,
Steve

I asked the guys at SMG this same question when they did my 'free winter check'. They took me under the wan and showed me how well protected it already is and mentioned that they have never seen a rusty one. The exposed parts that do rust are almost sacrificial...
So, I've decided not to bother..

Californiaman said:
I asked the guys at SMG this same question when they did my 'free winter check'. They took me under the wan and showed me how well protected it already is and mentioned that they have never seen a rusty one. The exposed parts that do rust are almost sacrificial...
So, I've decided not to bother..

That gets my vote then!!

We also live by the sea. I pressure wash mine weekly and reckon that will do.

Our Defender had to be Waxoyled annually as they have almost no rust protection! It really stinks and gets everywhere. I'd leave it on a VW!!

Karcher%20High%20Pressure%20Underbody%20Lance_A_SP-1.jpg

An undebody lance (above is a Karcher) makes life easier.

Thanks to both of you :)

A pressure washer is on our ever-growing list of things to buy for the Cali.

Would you recommend Nilfisk or Karcher?

I have the Nilfisk E140 and cannot recommend it enough. Unless you spend big money on a commercial system, this is hard to beat. Has a good warranty too - essential on a pressure washer! Loads of stores including Argos sell them. A snow foam lance and foam also helps loosen grime and keeps it protected - its fun too!

Thanks. Its cheaper sibling (C120) is half price (~£90) on Amazon at the moment, and its spec doesn't look much worse.

coordinated said:
Thanks. Its cheaper sibling (C120) is half price (~£90) on Amazon at the moment, and its spec doesn't look much worse.
Yep - that's decent too, as is the C130. E140 is a bit more "commercial" grade but probably a bit OTT for some.

I have very fiddly wheels on the BMW so wanted maximum power!

I've had Karcher (and abused them) for years. They worked very hard cleaning my motocross, enduro and rally bikes so they got a proper workout. Highly recommended.

barry said:
fiddly wheesl? Sounds like MV2s.

Nope - 160s. About 15 spokes (I think) and a complete PITA to hand wash!

We've got a Karcher....but only because it was half price! Haven't used the soap/foam function yet. Works a treat when cleaning the works bus. Will be using it next week on the cali.
Word of warning but possibly stating the obvious............ watch out where you store them. Frost damage is not covered in any warrenty.

Back