Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Key battery failing after two days

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Anyone had this, apparently it was replaced (the key internals) by VW last week but still does the same...

Did they "pair" the keys to the car....?
Needs to be done after replacing battery in key fob

I think the Instructions are in the Handbook.:thumb

Yes, key is paired. Worked fine. Handbook not really applicable as this is a faulty key it seems. It was 'replaced' by VW two days before we picked it up. Worked fine for a couple of days then - dead. New battery Tuesday - worked fine. This morning dead!

Range VWCC this morning, first warranty 'repair' showing on their system. Been escalated to 'senior manager' :) - call back within 24 hrs - we shall see.....!

Now there's a strange thing,I thought my key fob was on the blink last week
Went around the van 3 times pressing the fob trying to get in
It wasn't till I was confronted by a panicking Frenchman that I realized it wasn't my van :confused:
Hope you get it sorted soon
Incidentally I have wondered what the average life span is for the battery in the key fob?

Alan

Now there's a strange thing,I thought my key fob was on the blink last week
Went around the van 3 times pressing the fob trying to get in
It wasn't till I was confronted by a panicking Frenchman that I realized it wasn't my van :confused:
Hope you get it sorted soon
Incidentally I have wondered what the average life span is for the battery in the key fob?

Alan
About 3 to 4 years. Does also depend on use. Low usage could give you 5 years. I tend to swop the key fobs around every year and renew both batteries at 3 years regardless.
Having experienced a flat remote battery, it does a lot more than just unlock the door.

@Dottie posted something on a thread about her keys not working and it turned out to be that they were stored next to something (a boiler) with a magnet in it which rendered the keys useless... could this be relevant?

Key remotes can be "blocked" by various radio frequencies too. Both intentionally, by using a jammer, or from innocent things like TV sender boxes, traffic lights, weather stations etc. I seem to remember they work on 433Mhz. When it happens again, try holding the key fob under the wheel arch, so it's shielded from external interference , like a Faraday cage.

Will try but I think it's a battery drain issue as puting a new battery in makes it work again (for a couple of days). The replaced battery does not work so it's not like 'restarting' the power to the key is fixing it.

And surprise - 30 hrs on from my promised call back from VW still nothing...

Will try but I think it's a battery drain issue as puting a new battery in makes it work again (for a couple of days). The replaced battery does not work so it's not like 'restarting' the power to the key is fixing it.

And surprise - 30 hrs on from my promised call back from VW still nothing...
Perhaps it is to do with where you store the key it is being woken up (like it is when you put the key in the ignition a coil around the lock calls the key to check its code) Try wrapping it in tinfoil for a few days and see if it holds it charge.

Last edited:
Is anyone from SMG Tonbridge on this forum, they are my local VW dealer - if you can sort me a new key under warranty by the middle of next week that would be great. :)