Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Key skimming.

I've been dithering about getting the Ghost but probably will get round to it.

The van can be unlocked remotely from a laptop which as the correct software and wifi. This is available to RAC repairmen, so its not out of bounds that some toe rags have this software.F

They probably just used the key amplifier gadget to unlock it. They only need to stand by your house and they’re in.

“But as to myself, my guiding-star always is, 'Get hold of portable property’” John Wemmick, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Our road is regularly subjected to night visitors trying the doors of vehicles on the off chance that they have been left unlocked.
“But as to myself, my guiding-star always is, 'Get hold of portable property’” John Wemmick, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Our road is regularly subjected to night visitors trying the doors of vehicles on the off chance that they have been left unlocked.

There is no intent to steel or damage the vehicle. The visitors are simply looking for portable property. Portable property can be sold “down the pub” for a few pounds – enough to fund a drug habit. Handbags, purses, satnavs, mobile phones, loose change – whatever.

It has become such a regular occurrence here, I have CCTV on the front of the house to monitor the nocturnal activities.

I would generally say I am very particular about locking the vehicles each time we park them. But not so long ago a nocturnal visitor rummaged through all the pockets etc. and left the driver’s door ajar before parting with the loose change parking money in the money drawer – about £2.50.

A review of the CCTV footage showed that despite my being certain that the car had been locked, it clearly hadn’t been. The nocturnal visitor had simply opened the door.

I assume that I had put the key down and lent on it, put something on top of it or something and had accidentally unlocked the car. Either that or I had failed to lock it in the first place.

My Land Rover key has two buttons on it – one closer to the key blade and one further away – just like on the VW keys. But they are wired the other way around. With the Land Rover key, the button away from the key blade locks the vehicle. With the VW key, it’s the button nearest the blade. I always have to stop and think about which button to press to lock the VW.
I have three buttons on my key. In a triangle. Right one does rear hatch only.
There is no intent to steel or damage the vehicle. The visitors are simply looking for portable property. Portable property can be sold “down the pub” for a few pounds – enough to fund a drug habit. Handbags, purses, satnavs, mobile phones, loose change – whatever.

It has become such a regular occurrence here, I have CCTV on the front of the house to monitor the nocturnal activities.

I would generally say I am very particular about locking the vehicles each time we park them. But not so long ago a nocturnal visitor rummaged through all the pockets etc. and left the driver’s door ajar before parting with the loose change parking money in the money drawer – about £2.50.

A review of the CCTV footage showed that despite my being certain that the car had been locked, it clearly hadn’t been. The nocturnal visitor had simply opened the door.

I assume that I had put the key down and lent on it, put something on top of it or something and had accidentally unlocked the car. Either that or I had failed to lock it in the first place.

My Land Rover key has two buttons on it – one closer to the key blade and one further away – just like on the VW keys. But they are wired the other way around. With the Land Rover key, the button away from the key blade locks the vehicle. With the VW key, it’s the button nearest the blade. I always have to stop and think about which button to press to lock the VW.

I think, unless you physically open a door after remotely unlocking, then the doors will relock. It assumes the unlock was pushed in error.
I've a 2008 Cali. If you lock the doors with the key fob and them try to lock it again by mistake, therefore pressing the key fob twice, the passenger door opens and doesn't relock after 30 seconds! When unlocking, press once to unlock the drivers door, press twice to unlock all the doors

Cloning keys is tricky, whats easier is using an RF generator to effectively jam the keys transmission when the driver presses lock on the fob and walks away from the vehicle. If the driver isn't paying attention they may not notice the vehicle doesn't lock, leaving an unalarmed, unlocked vehicle for theives.

Some info here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38225274

This might be of particular interest to the OP:

"Once inside the vehicle, the thieves plug a device into the on-board diagnostic port (OBD) which allows them to download the vehicle's electronic information on to a blank key. This key is then compatible with the car, allowing them to drive the vehicle away."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've a 2008 Cali. If you lock the doors with the key fob and them try to lock it again by mistake, therefore pressing the key fob twice, the passenger door opens and doesn't relock after 30 seconds! When unlocking, press once to unlock the drivers door, press twice to unlock all the doors

I think on my van, if I press lock fob twice it unlocks the deadlock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the Christmas there was a spate of cars done by this method of scanning your keys.
Apparently the police told the people done that they should store the keys in a tin box or similar this stops them from scamming the keys ?
Not sure if this works but i now store our keys in a key store

Over the Christmas there was a spate of cars done by this method of scanning your keys.
Apparently the police told the people done that they should store the keys in a tin box or similar this stops them from scamming the keys ?
Not sure if this works but i now store our keys in a key store
Only works for “Keyless” entry vehicles, where the vehicle unlocks and the Immobiliser is disabled by the proximity of the Electronic Key Fob.
Normally such vehicles just have a Start button instead of an ignition key.

The VW T5/6 does not have this system.

Only works for “Keyless” entry vehicles, where the vehicle unlocks and the Immobiliser is disabled by the proximity of the Electronic Key Fob.
Normally such vehicles just have a Start button instead of an ignition key.

The VW T5/6 does not have this system.
A friend of mine recently had both the vehicles in his drive opened and the contents stolen, almost certainly because the keys hanging in his hallway were copied using a scanner.

A friend of mine recently had both the vehicles in his drive opened and the contents stolen, almost certainly because the keys hanging in his hallway were copied using a scanner.
Was there any recommendation for what might put the scanner out of range?

Not if they were Keys with just a Remote Locking/Unlocking function and dependant on an Ignition Key activated immobiliser as they can only be scanned when being operated as they are not active until a button is pressed and the built in immobiliser chip not activated unless in close proximity to the Immobiliser unit around the Ignition lock and the ignition switched On.

Metal box or metallic-lined pouches available on Amazon etc.

Not if they were Keys with just a Remote Locking/Unlocking function and dependant on an Ignition Key activated immobiliser as they can only be scanned when being operated as they are not active until a button is pressed and the built in immobiliser chip not activated unless in close proximity to the Immobiliser unit around the Ignition lock and the ignition switched On.
I’m just repeating what an ex-police officer remarked about the spate of thefts locally by four men who were caught on cctv using some sort of scanner to enter vehicles, either stealing contents or, in the case of keyless entry cars, taking the whole vehicle.
I’m no expert and I don’t understand the technology but I was told that, if your remote can open your vehicle from its storage place in the house then it is not secure. So I now keep all our keys in a metal box.

A local thief got into my van and then pulled everything out and rifled through the van looking for something - before starting a fire - i believe he was looking for a spare key. Many people leave a spare secreted away just in case. This may have been the case with your intruders. It seems its a fairly simple job to get into the vehicle, but not as easy to drive it away.

A few weeks back, my partner used the van and locked the keys inside. The AA got called out but could not open the doors. The AA called out the RAC and the chap opened the doors using a laptop. I was not there so could not ask if he could of started the engine or not. But the software is out there. I read someplace that people are also going back to pedal box locks, I purchased a cheap but I think an interesting one off ebay for 6pounds. Anything that can slow the sods down can help. But if a skilled toe rag wants it, they will take it. Just make sure you have good insurance. F

When we bought our T6 we went for one of these:

It's given us a bit of peace of mind at night.

I’m just repeating what an ex-police officer remarked about the spate of thefts locally by four men who were caught on cctv using some sort of scanner to enter vehicles, either stealing contents or, in the case of keyless entry cars, taking the whole vehicle.
I’m no expert and I don’t understand the technology but I was told that, if your remote can open your vehicle from its storage place in the house then it is not secure. So I now keep all our keys in a metal box.

Key range

Back