Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kinky Awning

Saesneg Shaun

Saesneg Shaun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi, The awning on my 6.1 doesn't roll up flat and the awning has kinks in it as on the picture.
Is this normal or is mine faulty?

It's messing with my OCD

20210530_120405.jpg

i've seen that before. usually in hot weather. i think the only cure is a new awning so try a warranty claim. a new awning may do the same though

Try winding it all the way out so you can see where it’s taped to the metal roller... then get someone to hold the outer edge and guide it whilst you wind it in carefully. I assume you’ve checked there isn’t a twig or something caught on the top in one of the first turns, as the same issue can be caused by that.

I assume you’ve checked there isn’t a twig or something caught on the top in one of the first turns, as the same issue can be caused by that.
how do you clean the top of the awning, especially in the middle section & first turns?

I recently had tree sap on the top of the awning, very sticky and couldn’t get it off easily before winding in again. Result: sticky spots top & bottom now... :-(

how do you clean the top of the awning, especially in the middle section & first turns?

I recently had tree sap on the top of the awning, very sticky and couldn’t get it off easily before winding in again. Result: sticky spots top & bottom now... :-(
Step ladder, long handled stiffish brush and warm soapy water.
Also found Ecover general purpose cleaner very good.

Try winding it all the way out so you can see where it’s taped to the metal roller... then get someone to hold the outer edge and guide it whilst you wind it in carefully. I assume you’ve checked there isn’t a twig or something caught on the top in one of the first turns, as the same issue can be caused by that.
No nothing stuck in it. Theres a crease in the fabric when the awning is extended, probably from not winding in flat!

i've seen that before. usually in hot weather. i think the only cure is a new awning so try a warranty claim. a new awning may do the same though
Yes it was a pretty hot day. unwound it to dry it out from the pervious days rain and now it won't wind back flat!

Had exactly the same issue with mine on the weekend, winding it in around mid-morning Sunday after being out for 2 days. Creases looked bloody awful.
Just wound it out tonight to survey the damage and it’s crease free! Weird!

Hi, The awning on my 6.1 doesn't roll up flat and the awning has kinks in it as on the picture.
Is this normal or is mine faulty?

It's messing with my OCD

View attachment 79356
I have the same problem.... just before creating new thread I found this one. Have you solved the issue? Cheers :)

IMG_2148 (1).jpeg

IMG_2147 (1).jpeg

IMG_2146 (1).jpeg