Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Glass Exploding

Holly Bus

Holly Bus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Only a months into our 2016 Ocean. Gas strut failed and pressure to close exploded the glass. Seems its happened to a few members here... then Wendy my wife was saying how it would be more practical if the glass top was split with a different attachment system. The I find this on the Forum .... The new 2017 model. My VW dealer in Datford said the glass would be replaced but only like for like. I cant help thinking that the new design has come about because of the issues of exploading glass, as well as the practicality. What can't I have my £60,000 Ocean fitted with the new system instead of one that is suspect....?

kitchen glass split.JPG

I would say warranty work would be as your dealer states "like for Like" and that the new split top has different fixtures and fitting to your "old style" top ie strut not on new type and hinges are different as are the front metal lip and rear metal edge is split etc.
But would be nice

Last edited:
Only a months into our 2016 Ocean. Gas strut failed and pressure to close exploded the glass. Seems its happened to a few members here... then Wendy my wife was saying how it would be more practical if the glass top was split with a different attachment system. The I find this on the Forum .... The new 2017 model. My VW dealer in Datford said the glass would be replaced but only like for like. I cant help thinking that the new design has come about because of the issues of exploading glass, as well as the practicality. What can't I have my £60,000 Ocean fitted with the new system instead of one that is suspect....?

View attachment 24030
Not that common a problem, according to the number of Forum Posts. New split glass uses different ' resistive ' hinges so there may be a change in the stainless steel kitchen top.

We were in Camper Centrum today and asked the question if it was possible to retrofit the two-piece glass and they confirmed it wouldn't be possible due to the frame structure in the back of the cabinet. For clarification we we asking in relation to a T5 so maybe worth your while asking if you own a T6. Totally unrelated but we saw that a new removable towel rail as standard with the new T6's they had in the showroom, looked useful too.

eta. they also use different hinges.

I would say warranty work would be as your dealer states "like for Like" and that the new split top has different fixtures and fitting to your "old style" top ie strut not on new type and hinges are different as are the front metal lip and rear metal edge is split etc.
But would be nice
Of course.. like for like is normally what one wants. But not when the like for like has a design fault and the current like is for the split version minus the strut attachment... World wide they've done this quickly before someone gets hurt. We had cuts to our legs from the shards for glass. Nothing serious but they've done the right thing. I just want my replacement to be the upgrade but unlikely. I'll cover the replacement with the aluminium cover ... or perhaps design and make a wooden one...

Not that common a problem, according to the number of Forum Posts. New split glass uses different ' resistive ' hinges so there may be a change in the stainless steel kitchen top.
Yes its not common and even replacing the strut without the split glass would stop this from occurring. You only need person to have there eye out and all hell will break loose ! Basically, if you find the top starts to get difficult to close instead of the smooth action intended, your strut is faulty... don't press on the top too hard !

But not when the like for like has a design fault and the current like is for the split version minus the strut attachment... World wide they've done this quickly before someone gets hurt.

If that was the case I am sure they would not have used glass, I know it has happened to a few members but not many posted on the forum. I believe that it is a little upgrade to make it more user friendly - rather than a H&S upgrade -unless you have further informa

Yes its not common and even replacing the strut without the split glass would stop this from occurring. You only need person to have there eye out and all hell will break loose ! Basically, if you find the top starts to get difficult to close instead of the smooth action intended, your strut is faulty... don't press on the top too hard !

cali glass.jpg

If that was the case I am sure they would not have used glass, I know it has happened to a few members but not many posted on the forum. I believe that it is a little upgrade to make it more user friendly - rather than a H&S upgrade -unless you have further information.
its definitely more practicable but only VW will know how many incidents like this have happened. They are small in number but that is irrelevant if its happened to you. My wife was quiet shocked when it occurred at 11pm just turning in after a coffee on our camp site in France.

Has the fridge strut on the glass fridge top be replaced on newer T6 vans with just new type hinges

Has the fridge strut on the glass fridge top be replaced on newer T6 vans with just new type hinges
Not sure. Mine is same as kitchen cover and it works smooth and fine. The width of the other is the issue.. if you press on the left side with strut on right it may over time overstrain it..? just don't know.. have heard of no issues of fridge door not closing properly.

The width of the other is the issue.. if you press on the left side with strut on right it may over time overstrain it..? just don't know.. have heard of no issues of fridge door not closing properly.

Can not say I have had an issue with the fridge or sink closure on our t5 or t6 although have only closed the glass sink glass by pushing down in the centre where the catch is.

I think if I was worried I would put a film over the glass

Last edited:
The top is Safety Glass as used in all vehicle glass. Messy when it breaks but safe. You can fit a vinyl cover, won't stop it breaking but will make clearing up easier.

Not sure. Mine is same as kitchen cover and it works smooth and fine. The width of the other is the issue.. if you press on the left side with strut on right it may over time overstrain it..? just don't know.. have heard of no issues of fridge door not closing properly.
Always use the handle to open/close and lock.:thumb

The new hinges are used on the fridge as well as the hob and sink cover. I think the change is in response to long term customer feedback on the practical benifits of the split rather than safety concerns. I suspect those hinges are cheaper than gas struts as well. The point the hinges are attached is completely different to the gas strut design so I am not surprised a retrofit is not possible sadly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think the change is in response to long term customer feedback on the practical benifits of the split rather than safety concerns.

this was my view as well

The width of the other is the issue.. if you press on the left side with strut on right it may over time overstrain it.

I think this is also the possible cause of cook glass breaking must say not tried closing other than with the handle in centre,

The one thing I always practice in our Cali's and I think it has paid of is with there is resistance STOP and check rather than keep going

other examples
  • roof closing
  • seat rotating
  • draw closing

Horrible and alarming thing to happen. Also a horrible mess to clean up and as anyone who has ever had a shattered windscreen would know, bits off glass will keep appearing for weeks after is has been cleaned up.

As others have said I suspect the split glass is in response to marketing rather than safety issues, especially with the split-top MP coming along, but I hope you can get yours replaced with that.

The new hinges are used on the fridge as well as the hob and sink cover. I think the change is in response to long term customer feedback on the practical benifits of the split rather than safety concerns. I suspect those hinges are cheaper than gas struts as well. The point the hinges are attached is completely different to the gas strut design so I am not surprised a retrofit is not possible sadly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
indeed. Vw have got a like for like replacement for me next week. I'll just keep an eye on the strut now i know the issue. !

Hi there. Getting a bit worried about these frightening glass massacre images.
What about the heat resistance of the glass top when putting a +- hot kettle on the fridge side?
How long to wait before closing the top after cooking? If you can touch it, you can close it?

Hi there. Getting a bit worried about these frightening glass massacre images.
What about the heat resistance of the glass top when putting a +- hot kettle on the fridge side?
How long to wait before closing the top after cooking? If you can touch it, you can close it?

Do you just put a hot ketlle on the kitchenworktop @home ? No ....you put something under it , best to do so in your Cali .
Closing the glas top : afther cooking we eat...afther we have eaten we clean up the cooker and close the lid simple as that .
Use common sense , close the lid gently holding it in the middle part and puch it firmly in the lock .

Well, some glass types do stand some heat.
Just that I prefer to see the landscape while eating, in stead of the raised lid.
In the meantime I've tested a silicone flexible oven tray which seems to stand a hot kettle, and at the same time avoids spilling, and is covering up the cooker when the lid is closed (still have to test last one right after cooking). The cork above the fridge is my plan C (I prefer the continuous look of the glass).
IMG_9886.jpg IMG_9887.jpg

@Auberg-ine , we carry a foldable rubber pot pad
IMG_1209.JPG
but the exploding glas tops that people have had experienced above are not due hot pots but bad luck (something falling on it ) or glas with faults (cracks?) in it .
Important is to gently close the top and not smaching it down.
IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1211.JPG

The protective film shown above is also very popular.

Last edited:
@Auberg-ine , we carry a foldable rubber pot pad
View attachment 28892
but the exploding glas tops that people have had experienced above are not due hot pots but bad luck (something falling on it ) or glas with faults (cracks?) in it .
Important is to gently close the top and not smaching it down.
View attachment 28893 View attachment 28894

The protective film shown above is also very popular.

Hey, I have these too somewhere here in a box! Did not think about it. Thx for reminding! Still the flexible tray stays handy for when spilling. And apparently it does not stick onto the metal branches of the cooker after a minute, so I can close the lid quit quick. :thumb

Back