Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Pod (almost) complete

owen_h

owen_h

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Since getting my Beach (Clara) I've wanted to get some basic cooking and cooling facilities in the van. After much thinking and visits to a few converters I decided to make a pod myself. Combination of the costs being quoted and also my ideas on how to make best use of the space kept changing.
Taken quite a bit longer to make than I originally thought it would but last Saturday the pod finally made it off the garage workbench and into Clara. :D :D

[album]734[/album][album]733[/album][album]732[/album][album]731[/album][album]730[/album][album]729[/album]

I'm really please with the way its turned out. Still a few details to sort out such as a replacement table rail, shelves etc and that black & red tie down for the coolbox def needs to be changed. (it was a left over from my windsurfing box) Maybe see if I can find a blue one to match the sliding door tracks / seat trim.
The 240V is all wired up to a consumer unit in the pod but I still need to get the cable outside the van and to a hook up socket.

hey fella you replied to my post on T4 forum :D , it looks awesome ! And definitely got me thinking about doing on again. are you using the genuine vw rail guides to lock it in ? How much were they and do you have the parts number ?

My first priority is the board at the back, its also currently out at the moment so the dog crate fits. The idea is to store the frame and board in the back some how then when we setup for the night the dog crate goes out in a pop up tent and the bed gets built.

In replying to the post on the T4 forum and then reading your one on here I put 2 and 2 together, it was the dog crate that gave it away. (and then the same username!)

Yes I am using the existing floor rails and VW fittings to fix the pod into the van. I was going to try and tie it at the top to the existing table rail as well but its solid enough without needing that. I’ll look up the part numbers this eve, I got them from SMG with the forum discount, about £30 each from memory. Went for a couple of spares so that I can devise something to hold bikes upright in the back as well. Getting the positioning of the fittings both along the rail and especially how high above the rail took some effort. The dimensions are surprisingly critical. Must write down all the construction details while its fresh(ish) in my mind.

One thing I found with all the existing kitchen pods out there is that they were too wide to fit into a Beach, we only really have 360mm to use hence having to go bespoke. During the build I got some bits and also advise from Mike at Mi-Van (the guy who posted all the u-tube clips on the T4 forum). He would be able to make a bespoke pod and I was impressed with his workmanship & construction methods. Uses a very cool tool to make the joints, called a domino jointer but I digress.

The multiflex board seems rather over built to me. I wonder if it could be adapted to a more modular construction that would make it easier (lighter) to take it in and out of the van. Perhaps cut the framework into 3 bits by separating the two side supports from the cross beam. When needed they could be bolted back together.
Longer term I want to make a storage unit behind my pod and coolbox. I will put a support rail on here for one side of a replacement bed board and on the offside try and come up with something along the lines of the ‘full fat’ Cali. Bit of nosing around other peoples vans needed for Ideas I think.

sounds like you are enjoying your van anyway.
Owen

Cheers fella :thumb Yeah the bus is awesome, had our first night away on sat and found we'll deffo need a mattress topper :lol:

With regards to the board frame thats what I'm thinking but I might fab one myself or get it done locally so I don't destroy the original. Also thinking of making my own board that's in two pieces, should make it easier to store behind the bench seat or possibly copy the profile of the original then take enough off the edges that it will sit on the floor.

Ideally I'd like it to sit over the crate to create a shelf we can keep the bedding / mattress on and fill underneath with my kiteing gear :clap It really is my only gripe with the vehicle but I'm sure I'll sort it :D

owen_h said:
In replying to the post on the T4 forum and then reading your one on here I put 2 and 2 together, it was the dog crate that gave it away. (and then the same username!)

Yes I am using the existing floor rails and VW fittings to fix the pod into the van. I was going to try and tie it at the top to the existing table rail as well but its solid enough without needing that. I’ll look up the part numbers this eve, I got them from SMG with the forum discount, about £30 each from memory. Went for a couple of spares so that I can devise something to hold bikes upright in the back as well. Getting the positioning of the fittings both along the rail and especially how high above the rail took some effort. The dimensions are surprisingly critical. Must write down all the construction details while its fresh(ish) in my mind.

One thing I found with all the existing kitchen pods out there is that they were too wide to fit into a Beach, we only really have 360mm to use hence having to go bespoke. During the build I got some bits and also advise from Mike at Mi-Van (the guy who posted all the u-tube clips on the T4 forum). He would be able to make a bespoke pod and I was impressed with his workmanship & construction methods. Uses a very cool tool to make the joints, called a domino jointer but I digress.

The multiflex board seems rather over built to me. I wonder if it could be adapted to a more modular construction that would make it easier (lighter) to take it in and out of the van. Perhaps cut the framework into 3 bits by separating the two side supports from the cross beam. When needed they could be bolted back together.
Longer term I want to make a storage unit behind my pod and coolbox. I will put a support rail on here for one side of a replacement bed board and on the offside try and come up with something along the lines of the ‘full fat’ Cali. Bit of nosing around other peoples vans needed for Ideas I think.

sounds like you are enjoying your van anyway.
Owen

Bigbud said:
h.... are you using the genuine vw rail guides to lock it in ? How much were they and do you have the parts number ?

Found the invoice for the fittings that hold the pod into the floor rail:

The ‘T’ piece with knob and spring is 7H5885297B + £9.64 + VAT
The plastic cover that sits on the rail and the spring seats in is 7E885749 906 + £7.97 + VAT each. I think the 906 at the end refers to a colour?

Your a gent, thank you :-D

Will keep you up to date with the boot mod :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You had any thoughts on hook up yet ?

I've been advised to put the webasto heater under the drivers seat which will leave a little room for maybe a charger but really I would need an RCD and other bits if they will fit and that means I'll be stuck with just one battery under the passenger seat as well. Not sure if there is room to get any of the gear in there or room for a second battery.

Also the burning question, where is the hook up going to come in and be situated :?

Plenty of thoughts on mains hookup and its top of the list to investigate tomorrow. I've mounted the consumer unit on the end of the pod and run a cable (a 3 core one plus an earth wire) from there into the side trim and back to the locker where the jack is stored. What I dont know yet is how to get the cable out of the van and where to put the hookup socket.
Preferred solution will be to hide the socket behind the plastic trim panel that is between the rear light cluster and bumper. Seen on the T4 forum people have hinged this panel and then used the rear light grommet to route the cable. Think the issue will be how to remove the trim panel and fix the hinges in a neat and secure way. If this doesn't seem practical or outside my comfort zone then it will prob be a trip to a auto electrician or towbar fitter and get the socket mounted under the rear bumper.
For charging i've bought a Ctek charger and will plug that into one of my mains sockets periodically to top the leisure battery up. Initially I can connect to the leisure battery using one of the rear cigarette lighter power points (Ctek do a cable for this). Longer term it would be better to have a lead direct to the battery.

Have they said why they want to put the Webasto under the drivers seat rather than outside the van? Think outside is where VW put it and then have the vent in the B pillar.

I think its just the standard place to put it, it does make it easier to maintain and diagnose faults as its not under the van.

I'm really torn on in or out the van, have two fitters one that will do in the other will do out. They have there pro's and con's on other fronts thou so can't decide. At £1100 and cutting holes in my van I want it to be right !

Likeing the look of this picture.php?albumid=14943&pictureid=98477.jpg

Really interested in all this as having discovered that the Beach storage/bed extension won't fit with my Shuttle rear panels - ( hope I won't be castigated for building a looky likey - I wanted twin sliders and no pop top and a Beach copy was ideal for me!)

Anyway I digress - It looks like I will be getting a pod built and I have the same Waeco unit as you and was thinking of doing similar to what you have done so it's nice to see the piccies. The part number for the plastic bits are a godsend too - already have the other bits waiting. I'm going to get electrics done first then look at pod! Ideally as I have twin sliders and 4 rails a removable pod that could go in either door would be ideal but would have to be probably too small so may stick with your idea.
Thanks for sharing
Steve

There are some more pictures of how the coolbox is fitted on the “230V hookup for your Beach” thread.

The pod had its first real test last weekend camping down at Glastonbury for Tour of Wessex . Since the pics I have added a shelf in LH compartment and finger pulls on the doors (custom turned by my father on a lathe :thanks ). Other mod I’ve done is to fabricate some brackets so that the table can be clipped to the pod. These bolt to the existing fold out wire/plastic clips on the table and then hook onto the top of the pod. I was really pleased with how it all worked out, even with the bed made most of the storage is still accessible.

Do you have someone lined up to make you a pod? There is a converter down here (Southampton/Fareham) who I am very impressed with : Mike at http://mi-van.co.uk/home/ . Been helpful with advice and has a good well organised setup. Other factor is his construction method is to use proper glued joints rather than the knock down fittings which results in a much stronger unit. Also has contacts that can pvc edgeband the ends of the board rather than use the more normal knock in T trim. This gives (to my eye) a much nicer finish.

No problem with you copying any of the ideas. My pod is based on ideas I’ve seen elsewhere and adapted to suit my needs and ability. Basic layout was from one of the German companies that does pods. As an aside I notice that one of the 2 German companies (Aljoy) has now stopped offering pods for the Beach.
If you at all local to me or are in the Southampton area then your of course welcome to have a look at the pod. I did a rough price up of how much I spent on materials and other peoples services (edgebanding). Came to £750 which includes the 12V & 240V electrics but not the coolbox. I also have ¾ sheet of ply left for the next project.

thanks for the link - I'd googled and come up with nothing! I'd have to get one made as I'm a numpty when it comes to DIY!!
It's amazing to me being newish to this and the T5 forum how similar all the problems are in relation to mods! I only got my seats and rails put in last week and because I got it at the right price I also put in a Beach headboard but I had already ordered one of the lighter weight metzler frames off Ebay from Reifen-concept as it was cheap enough to play around with and perhaps make up some foldable/removeable board for it! We too have the dog crate issue! I haven't got the frames yet but when I do and have had a play I'll post an update - I know they have to be lowered but maybe they can be made to be adjustable height wise too?? I'll see.
Steve

Looks good. I'd like to see a pod that could slide across on a rail system then swing out of the sliding door with feet that drop down.

In effect you would be cooking outside. Realise this may be quite complicated but some kind of frame in the rail system that let it move across the van toward the sliding door and either swing out type idea or maybe just with drop down legs.

This looks really good though :)

James

James if you look at the Maxxcamp website http://www.maxxcamp.de/ they do modules one of which does swing round on the rail system - I'm sure if you got a leg made up you could do exactly what you suggest. The modules aren't cheap but the quality looks good and they're not as expensive as some others!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you have a link for the headboard /frame bit you got? I Googled Reifen Concept and I get a tyre sales company. Cant access e-bay from work.
A mod to the existing lower bedboard (or more likely replacement) is on the list of things to look at for me as I feel in the 2 seater it restricts the versatility of the sliding seat. Something folding or that can be split into smaller (& thus lighter to take in and out) bits I think. With the arrival of ‘summer’ that project has is on the back burner for the moment.

Not quite a swing out unit but seen a few pod designs where the cooker folds out to allow cooking outdoors. Think there is a Reimo conversion/pod doing this and possibly a Transit where the coolbox slides outside.

Owen

skiwolf said:
James if you look at the Maxxcamp website http://www.maxxcamp.de/ they do modules one of which does swing round on the rail system - I'm sure if you got a leg made up you could do exactly what you suggest. The modules aren't cheap but the quality looks good and they're not as expensive as some others!

Steve

Ah - that's good :)

I actually took the idea from some of the furniture you find in the old Bay conversions :)

I am going to check that out !

Cheers

James

Hi,
I don't think we can post ebay links but if you go to ebay and put in multiflexboard VW t5 or Metzeler Multiflexboard = There are also videos on you tube which show the version3 which has got the board (and is much more expensive!!) being put in and taken out. I'm really taken with the Maxxcamp modules but it doesn't look very different to your photos here!!

Steve

skiwolf said:
Hi,
I don't think we can post ebay links but if you go to ebay and put in multiflexboard VW t5 or Metzeler Multiflexboard = There are also videos on you tube which show the version3 which has got the board (and is much more expensive!!) being put in and taken out. I'm really taken with the Maxxcamp modules but it doesn't look very different to your photos here!!

Steve

Found the place thanks. As you said earlier its much higher than the std (2 seater Beach) board but doesn't look that difficult to modify. Maybe cut a section out of the middle and an internal splint to reattach the top section. The version 3 one looks from the video to not be as deep as the std bed board? Is that the same design as the 3 seater Beach uses? If it is then the bed length must be made up in some other way, maybe the main seat backrest is taller.
The Maxxcamp module was where I got the basic layout & positioning of the coolbox for my pod design from. They do look like nice bits of kit and I did consider getting one but didn't want to spend ~£2k without at least seeing one for real.

Impressive work on the diy kitchen route, wish I was as handy and so thinking of doing the off the shelf option! However before then I am right in the middle of considering either the 2 seat or 3 seat bench for a beach and we want to also go with the mobile kitchen option. Do you know if the maxcamp modules fit behind the passenger side front seat with the 2 seat rear bench option or would the 3 seat bench be best? :help

The way I read the Maxxcamp modules the 'Max' and 'Moritz' are the ones intended for the 2 seater bench and the 'Compact' or 'Fritz' are intended for the 3 seater or multivan.

http://www.maxxcamp.de/en/module/index.php

If you wanted to use the Compact / Fritz in a 2 seater Beach then you would still need to remove the storage box that is on the vans (UK) nearside. With the Fritz units I suspect that even then there would not be enough space between the end of the bed (when its made up) and the front seats. Best to ask them before spending the cash and getting it shipped from Germany.
Does anyone know if there is any difference in the made up bed lengths between a 2 and 3 seater Beach?

Unless its dramatically changed in the 2013 version I found the std VW California brochure very little help in explaining or showing the Beach options. The first Beach I got to see at a dealer 100 miles away was the one I ended up buying but for me it was always the 2 seater I wanted (no need to ever have more than 4 people in the van).

I will measure mine this eve to see what the bed length is and how much spare floor length I have to the seat bases.

owen_h said:
skiwolf said:
Hi,

Steve

Found the place thanks. As you said earlier its much higher than the std (2 seater Beach) board but doesn't look that difficult to modify. Maybe cut a section out of the middle and an internal splint to reattach the top section. The version 3 one looks from the video to not be as deep as the std bed board? Is that the same design as the 3 seater Beach uses? If it is then the bed length must be made up in some other way, maybe the main seat backrest is taller.
The Maxxcamp module was where I got the basic layout & positioning of the coolbox for my pod design from. They do look like nice bits of kit and I did consider getting one but didn't want to spend ~£2k without at least seeing one for real.

The two seater Beach has a lower non adjustable board. This is because the two seater bench itself is the same as the one found in the full Cali. The advantage is that it folds flatter and and reduces the need to have the roof up.

The three seater Beach has has a higher Caravelle style seat, when it's a bed it folds out to a bed it is higher. The three seater board adjusts - this is for a number of reasons, dropping part of it allows the seat to pushed back and if you have the two extra seats you can create the 'long bed'.

James

owen_h said:
I will measure mine this eve to see what the bed length is and how much spare floor length I have to the seat bases.

bed length on my 2 seater bench is 199cm. this leaves 44cm of floor length to the front seat bases. With the drivers seat in mid position this tapers to 37cm at bed height.

Not sure if any of this helps or not, probably just more confusion.

:thanks That is all very helpful thanks. On balance I think the 2 seat bench suits best as long as the kitchen unit works out. I spoke to a dealer today who was useless and, for example, knew nothing about the sortimo speed wave kitchen unit, which is listed in vw accessories brochure. Does anyone know how this fits in, I assume the storage bench needs to come out? Also no idea on costs. final question, some of the demo vans I am looking at have the extra swivel rear seats. When swivelled, do these work with the table and existing bench? I assume the bench bed also operates OK?

Don’t know much about the Sortmio units I’m afraid. Distinct lack of info on them that I could find on the web other than a few photos (http://www.parcat.com/sortimo/speedwave/index.html ). Looks like Sortmio designed the table that is used in the Caravelle so quality should be good. What position were you thinking of fitting them? Looks like there are 3 possibilities:

1) In boot under multiflex board – this would only work with the higher multiflex boards used in the 3 seater Beach.
2) Lengthways alongside the 2 seater bench – Check carefully here as the only photo I can see in this position seems to be of an older style of Beach (never sold in the UK) which had a much simpler side trim.
3) Crossways behind front seats – should be an option for both 2 and 3 seater variants.

The extra swivel seat will fit in either the 2 or 3 seater versions but makes more sense in the 3 seater. In the 3 seater the mutliflex board behind the bench can fold allowing the bench seat to slide further back to give decent legroom. If I was going to use the extra seat in the 2 seater bench version then I would take out the multiflex board altogether to get the extra space but lose the ability to sleep ‘downstairs’.
Not sure about being able to still use the table, possibly but be better off swiveling the front seats and using those I would have thought.
Owen

The two seater Beach is designed to have one extra seat and the three seater is designed to have two.

James

Back