Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Shelf

DMB9R

DMB9R

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Would anyone be interested in a hanging kitchen shelf? It is made from aluminium and is in ONE piece so not kit form.
Can be left in place with roof up or down and when driving so no need to remove.
Lip on front to stop anything sliding off.
Does not fowl on cooker or fridge lid.
Very light with NO sharp corners. 500mm long and 200mm depth
colour will be bare aluminium which you can get painted if you wish
Price will be around £60-70
What do people think?

IMG_0553.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good , but one remark .
Think the lip to prevent is bit low , while driving i would not risk leaving anything in there , the chance of something falling out and breaking the fridge or coocker glas.
Think if the lip is a bit higher there's less risk.

How does it stay in place , screws...?

the lip is 20mm. of course you wouldn't heavy items in there but tea and coffee tins etc... are fine. the main thing is that either with roof up or down you can get items which are up to 200mm tall to fit. there are NO fixing screws, it lips under the aluminium rail. From experience i know how frustrating it is when you are sitting at the table to access the lower cupboards for items you use all the time. Hence the need for this shelf you can store all your main items you use.

You could load it empty for driving and leave things in while camped....:thumb

once it is in the camper i will take better pictures to show how it fits (size etc...)

Looks good!

I'd probably buy one as long as it's something I'm not likely to crack my head on all the time!

Looks good!

I'd probably buy one as long as it's something I'm not likely to crack my head on all the time!
I'll have pics etc.... on Wednesday to show you actually in situ

Would anyone be interested in a hanging kitchen shelf? It is made from aluminium and is in ONE piece so not kit form.
Can be left in place with roof up or down and when driving so no need to remove.
Lip on front to stop anything sliding off.
Does not fowl on cooker or fridge lid.
Very light with NO sharp corners. 500mm long and 200mm depth
colour will be bare aluminium which you can get painted if you wish
Price will be around £60-70
What do people think?

View attachment 12448

Good idea but a bit expensive. Finish looks a bit rough as well [no offence intended].

It's only an alternative to the only crappy ones out there, which is 2 brackets and a shelf with pointy corners which under peoples own admissions they keep banging their heads on? The picture is aluminium in a raw state. Some people will like it this way, it can be painted, anodised or even wrapped with vinyl?

Nice shelf, but bare in mind that even small car accidents cause goods to gain weight manyfold. My guess is that the mugs will move (fly) forwards with 8-10 times their weight if you are unlucky and have a crash. Consider wearing a helmet or practice to duck in case of ;-)

I haven't actually said that I will drive with anything on the shelf. If i did, and also had an accident i would be more worried about what's hitting me in the face like the airbag than what's hitting me on the back of the head like a cup!

Nice shelf, but bare in mind that even small car accidents cause goods to gain weight manyfold. My guess is that the mugs will move (fly) forwards with 8-10 times their weight if you are unlucky and have a crash. Consider wearing a helmet or practice to duck in case of ;-)
to recap - this is a shelf that WE have had made for US to use why WE are camping. If someone else wants one they can have one.

I haven't actually said that I will drive with anything on the shelf. If i did, and also had an accident i would be more worried about what's hitting me in the face like the airbag than what's hitting me on the back of the head like a cup!

I think its a nice shelf, but just wanted to tell, what many people are not aware of. A crash with only 30 km will tenfold the weight of flying objects, so even a teacup can kill you. A lot of people get seriously injured by flying objects within the car. And i think it is a important issue – especially when you have a camper.

That's why we have headrests, its simply not for comfort.

I'm liking the idea of a shelf to pop bits on whilst cooking (as my ehem well trained dogs are quick to try and get involved). I can't see from the pics how they stay in place when the roof / bed is up - any chance of a pic of that? Thanks.

Alison with the shelf in place the dogs can make you tea :) (they cant at present due to not having a thumb they cannot open the cupboards)

Few more pictures actually finished and in use

Looks great! Have you painted it in the "in use" pictures or is it just the different light? It seems to look smarter.

I assume it stays put when the roof bed is up? I can't quite remember what is up there for it to latch on to.

Looks great! Have you painted it in the "in use" pictures or is it just the different light? It seems to look smarter.

I assume it stays put when the roof bed is up? I can't quite remember what is up there for it to latch on to.
Mark, i have used some grey brushed aluminium vinyl to wrap the front and sides. Looks a lot better. You can leave it in place with the bed up or down. It is made so that it lips underneath the aluminium frame of the roof