Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lake District in October hald term with 6 & 4 year old (+ pregnant wife)

Mark Garrett

Mark Garrett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All,

We are planning our first Cali adventure in the October half term.

My wife will then be 6.5 months pregnant, so very unlikely to be using the van to sleep in, unless I get shoved out into an awning to sleep! With the nights drawing in, colder and dark by 630pm, it doesnt seem very appealing even to me.

Can anyone recommend some family friendly B&Bs (& campsites just in case) around the Lake District area ?

Thanks!
Mark

Wasdale Head Inn is a nice place that has rooms and food as well as being close to th National Trust campsite and Wastwater.

Hi All,

We are planning our first Cali adventure in the October half term.

My wife will then be 6.5 months pregnant, so very unlikely to be using the van to sleep in, unless I get shoved out into an awning to sleep! With the nights drawing in, colder and dark by 630pm, it doesnt seem very appealing even to me.

Can anyone recommend some family friendly B&Bs (& campsites just in case) around the Lake District area ?

Thanks!
Mark
Hi mark
The new dungeon Gill is very nice
Very near the great langdale campsite in the langdales
Stunning mate good beer and good food kid friendly lots of board games ect.also there another pub right in the same courtyard called the stickle barn..
Right behind the 2 pubs there's a good walk up too stickle tarn. Mind blowing views
My fave place to be anytime of the year!!

Actually Wasdale may be a bit remote for a pregnant lady now i think about it.

We have tried the Lake District three times now at various times of the year, every time it has rained EVERY day, does the Lake district ever get nice weather or is it something you need to just accept?

We have tried the Lake District three times now at various times of the year, every time it has rained EVERY day, does the Lake district ever get nice weather or is it something you need to just accept?
We went to the Lakes for a four days May 2016 we didn't see a cloud virtually the whole time we were there just blue skies :thumb. It does happen.

We went to the Lakes for a four days May 2016 we didn't see a cloud virtually the whole time we were there just blue skies :thumb. It does happen.

That is very rare and you were very lucky :eek:

I dislike the lake district for that very reason - I have never been there when it DIDN'T rain. I know the scenery is beautiful blah blah, but I'm a girl who likes a bit of a break from grey skies if possible! I think you are very wise to find a proper bed for your wife. We were tenters when I was pregnant, and even though I usually find our inflatable bed very comfy, even I gave up at 7 months pregnant - fortunately we were close to the in-laws so I begged a bed at theirs for a couple of nights and just joined in the fun on the campsite during the day.

We have also suffered terrible weather in the Lakes, even in July, the problem is you go there for the nice scenery but due to its permanant bad weather you never get a chance to see the views. We may have one more attempt but will do it last minute so we can check the forecast.

That's why we have lakes up here

Just come back from Lake Como, it did not rain once!

Just come back from Lake Como, it did not rain once!
True, but there is a lot more snow during the winter than there is in the Lake District.
Lake District - Rain filled lakes
Italian Lakes - predominantly snow melt filled.

Coniston cmhc site has pods next to the showers and you could use the van too. Fairly certain it's all season. Lovely walk by lake to town with pubs and restaurants

Fell End caravan park near Milnthorpe has pods, showers etc., play area and swimming pool.
Never stayed there as I live close by, but use the swimming pool.
They are friendly and not too expensive.
It is on the edge of the Lakes, so may not suit.

Rosthwaite is lovely. Borrowdale has lots of low level paths & easy access to higher fells. Afternoon tea at the cafe where Price Charles stays or at the Royal Oak. Posher food at the Scafell.

Went for many years until we had too many dogs & weather just varied each holiday from glorious to very wet indeed! Pencil Museum & climbing wall in Keswick!

I live in cumbria.. And yes it rains.. "Not such a thing as bad weather .. Only the wrong coat".. Loads of places to see why not try a day or two in Eskdale site.. Nice and clean a 5 minute walk to catch the ravenglass Eskdale railway. The site is California friendly as well. Move into the lakes try the ccc site in Keswick, right in the centr, loads for kids, pencil museum, Keswick pool, Saturday market with some excellent sausages. Nice pubs. Depending where you are coming from and how far you want to drive, a short drive to the Roman wall, or head a little south to cart EIL for some sticky toffee

The lakes is more than rain and sheep

I live in cumbria.. And yes it rains.. "Not such a thing as bad weather .. Only the wrong coat".. Loads of places to see why not try a day or two in Eskdale site.. Nice and clean a 5 minute walk to catch the ravenglass Eskdale railway. The site is California friendly as well. Move into the lakes try the ccc site in Keswick, right in the centr, loads for kids, pencil museum, Keswick pool, Saturday market with some excellent sausages. Nice pubs. Depending where you are coming from and how far you want to drive, a short drive to the Roman wall, or head a little south to cart EIL for some sticky toffee

The lakes is more than rain and sheep
The Theatre on the Lake in Keswick is terrific, decent performance of Chess when we were there in June. Lovely walk from the CCC site and boat trips from just in front.