LANE ASSIST

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Choosing options for a new T6.1. Although an outside choice, I am considering whether I should spec Lane Assist bearing in mind that by the time I sell I will be 80ish and probably needing all the assistance I can get!
Has anyone got any experience of driving a vehicle with Lane Assist?

Choosing options for a new T6.1. Although an outside choice, I am considering whether I should spec Lane Assist bearing in mind that by the time I sell I will be 80ish and probably needing all the assistance I can get!
If the current Lane Assist is the same as my “Lane Change Assist” which warns of cars in adjacent lanes by a amber light in door mirror, then I wouldn’t bother. I find I’m not really aware of the warning light being on or off!
I do know that if I need to replace a door mirror it’s going to cost more than a normal one!

I thought I read it was standard on the T6.1 Ocean?

I think the 6.1 lane assist actually gives a nudge to the steering wheel if you wander out of the lane. I don't know if it can do more than that and keep you in your lane. One of the possibilities opened up by VW switching to electronic assisted steering.

"The Lane Assist manages to remain in the lane for a short time without the hands of the driver on the steering wheel. If the car threatens to drive over a boundary line, it is automatically steered gently. After a few seconds, however, the T6.1 asks the driver acoustically to take the wheel. During the test drives on the Amsterdam city highway, it turns out that the technology also provides a piece of traffic education: If you want to change the lane without flashing, you will feel a significant resistance when driving over the line."

Last edited:
If the current Lane Assist is the same as my “Lane Change Assist” which warns of cars in adjacent lanes by a amber light in door mirror, then I wouldn’t bother. I find I’m not really aware of the warning light being on or off!
I do know that if I need to replace a door mirror it’s going to cost more than a normal one!
We have got Side Assist at moment and I would agree it's a waste of money. Lane Assist is new for T6.1 and steers car automatically between white lines.

I've installed a non VW version of side assist in my Ocean. aka rear Blind Spot system.

Cost around £200 all in! I imported it from Australia,, with 2 year warranty. No issues to date after 1 year installed.

I have an illuminated indicator in each A pillar. plus an audible buzz if I am indicating to turn and a vehicle/bike/person comes in to the blind spot. Also works with reverse gear.

It has proved really useful.

The VW Side Assist just has a small yellow warning light that flashes in the mirror. If you're not looking in the mirror you don't see it. If you're looking in the mirror you can see any vehicle because the mirrors are very good. It doesn't have any audible warning, which I think would help.

I thought I was correct. Lane Assist standard on the Ocean.

8729F128-01C8-4209-B4D2-0CAE52F0CE5D.jpeg

On a new Ocean you get lane assist and side assist as standard. Lane assist nudges the wheel if you drift out of your lane and side assist gives you the orange light in the wing mirror if there's a vehicle in your blind spot and also alerts you if you try to pull out. It also has side sensors which act like standard parking sensors at slow speed.

There is an option on the T6.1 of Active Lane Assist (£468) - this steers within the lane and works really well with the adaptive cruise control - particularly on motorways. You can just set the ACC and loosely keep a hand on the wheel - the van takes care of everything else (although people cutting in front of you can cause it to throw a wobbly). If you plan to do any serious miles I would say it's a very worthwhile option.

The VW Side Assist just has a small yellow warning light that flashes in the mirror. If you're not looking in the mirror you don't see it. If you're looking in the mirror you can see any vehicle because the mirrors are very good. It doesn't have any audible warning, which I think would help.
There is a blind spot which the mirror doesn’t see. That’s the whole point of the side assist. Really useful in my view (pun intended!) Plus it helps when judging the distance of following traffic when pulling out to overtake, or pulling back in, on motorways.

Last edited:
.There is a blind spot which the mirror doesn’t see. That’s the whole point of the side assist.
Exactly. It's totally invaluable driving on the right as well, because you have an enormous blindspot created by a blimmin great big wardrobe!

I have it on my other 2 cars. On one (VW Golf) it pretty much keeps the car in the centre of the lane and almost drives for you. In the other (F Type) it only nudges you when you are about to cross the line. It is a useful thing to have, but can’t be relied upon 100% as the sensors can easily lose track of the lines in the road and then zero assistance is given. It can also make cornering feel a little unnatural (which is why on performance cars it is only set to assist at the last minute). On both my cars (and almost definitely on the T6.1) you can switch it off if you don’t like it. Would I order it if I had to pay for it? Probably yes - it may one day be the difference between an accident or arriving home safely.

I hate it.
When cruising through Belgium and Lux at 180kmh at 3 in the morning
i don't like having to fight with the wheel if i don't indicate to overtake a
truck.
I experienced it for the first time on a hire car recently and didn't like it at all. It kept on vibrating the steering wheel which I found really annoying.

It is fitted on our Macan, if you drift off of the lane it makes a weird croaking noise like a frog. It has been turned off since the second day of ownership.

I experienced it for the first time on a hire car recently and didn't like it at all. It kept on vibrating the steering wheel which I found really annoying.
Its one of those things that you have to experience to find out that it
aint for you.
I don't need it ever and the only time it would be handy is if i was feeling
a bit drowsy and had 100kms to go before home, but then i shouldn't be driving
anyway.
It is fitted on our Macan, if you drift off of the lane it makes a weird croaking noise like a frog. It has been turned off since the second day of ownership.
Think how many big macs you could've bought if you hadn't have ticked
that box 580€. Unless of course, it was already specked.

Don't know if this applies, but UK spec is usually much different than the continent, some options are standard in the UK, and some options on the continent are not available in UK.

I can understand why VW have lane assist as I had the 'honour' of being one of the first to get fined 100Dm when the law came in for any crossing of a lane marking requiring that the indicators are operated. I only put a rear wheel over the white line going round a sharp bend. Easily done with a RHD car. You can cut a corner but need to indicate first.

I was once pulled over by the Police whilst driving to work on the M2 motorway in Kent. The officer said " Why were you wandering within your lane". I then heard myself saying " I've paid my Road Fund Licence so I'm entitled to". :Nailbiting

He wasn't impressed.

Last edited:
According to the spec sheet and my dealer it's standard on the Ocean. I got my Ocean in December 22 and its not fitted.
Question now is should I have it installed or leave it as is.

Back