Large Storage box

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello one and all

I am looking for a large storage box to attach to my cycle carrier, so I can transport my fairly large two-man inflatable kayak (deflated of course). The Fiamma ones are very expensive and open the wrong way, in my view.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Campervan elastic sell one. It's like a large bag. About 200 quid

Hello one and all

I am looking for a large storage box to attach to my cycle carrier, so I can transport my fairly large two-man inflatable kayak (deflated of course). The Fiamma ones are very expensive and open the wrong way, in my view.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Have you considered a dry sack? I’ve got a Gumotex inflatable canoe, which comes with a dry sack back pack. I reckon it would easy to use nylon straps to secure to a bike rack.

Have you considered a dry sack? I’ve got a Gumotex inflatable canoe, which comes with a dry sack back pack. I reckon it would easy to use nylon straps to secure to a bike rack.

Good ideaFiamma also got something like Brandrup. Fit for the VW Tailgate bike rack.

Thank you. I am concerned about security when parked outside a campsite etc. A tough lockable box would suit best. Mine also came with a soft sack but like all my previous tents, once out, it never goes back in again.

Thule has a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

These look pretty good and would take the canoe, but not the paddles or pump. The paddles, when split in two are 4ft long, each section. But if nothing else comes up these look to be good value.

Thank you

These look pretty good and would take the canoe, but not the paddles or pump. The paddles, when split in two are 4ft long, each section. But if nothing else comes up these look to be good value.
Might be something on this site. They do separate boxes for a Towbar tray system, but might be able to adapt.

http://www.bak-rak.com

Thule EasyBag may suit other than not being a solid box construction for security purposes. I put a long bike security cord around mine to secure it to the rack.
Paddles may fit diagonally.
packs down for storage.

Alternative is the truck type that are usually on trailers where cookers etc are stored by long distance Truckers. Weight may be a factor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-st...h=item4b1a26eb4e:g:PFQAAMXQa7hRBZ6M:rk:6:pf:0

Last edited:
You could look at the bak-rak.com website. They do lockable boxes for their towbar setup, could possibly be adapted?

4073f20e547bf4defe0f43ff1dfbb519.jpg

https://www.zargescases.co.uk/

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I would really like some kind of swinging arm based towbar set up. Would allow me to use the slide pod etc.

The second one would surely have some hefty weight to it before any boxes etc.
Though it does look good.

Thule makes a similar one but only for the US market ! Non of them will fit eu towbars unfortunately!

Any idea what the Towbar capacity would be for a Cali ie what weight of box/frame etc + payload would you be able to carry?

Any idea what the Towbar capacity would be for a Cali ie what weight of box/frame etc + payload would you be able to carry?

Please feel free to correct me: I read about 100kg.
When you got a Thule Backspace XT (8.6 Kg and only allowed to load with 50 Kg) and a Thule Velospace XT 2 (18.6 Kg, allowed to load max 60Kg) you might able to take a bine with you (depending on weight).

Just reading this thread and can very much recommend the mft backbox and a storage solution for your tow hitch. After much research I bought one from Germany as they were very difficult if not impossible to buy in the uk, as this box also tilts to allow you to open your tail gate, very handy.
Ironically I’m selling mine now, as we only needed it for one big trip, so if anyone is interested the link is on this site: MftBackboxForSale

Back