Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Larger tyres 235/65 R17

Calimarie

Calimarie

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
I want to fit Goodyear Wrangler 235/65R17 tyres to my Cali to reduce the risk of side wall damage. The original tyre is 235/55R17. The new size tyre is more regularly available and will also increase the ground clearance by 25mm (overall diameter is 50mm larger). I am aware of the speedometer under reading.
Has anyone experience with this larger tyre regarding fitment clearance and the effect on braking, handling and gearing?

What are you doing that increases the risk of sidewall damage.....that the rest of the Cali world isn’t ?

Handling will undoubtedly suffer as you’re increasing sidewall and therefore reducing tyre stiffness.

I’d be surprised if clearance was an issue as there is probably redundancy in the arch envelope. It’s probably not something many do as most favour an improvement in vehicle dynamics.

Thank you for the reply. I intend travelling through the Okavango in Botswana. Most of the roads are single tract sand roads and some times you have to go off the tract to allow a vehicle to pass from the front. I owned a Syncro many years ago. Although the vehicle has excellent off road capabilities the side walls got easily damaged by and sticks and stones.

I understand some are fitting BF Goodrich All Terrain tyres to their Calis without issues, I used these tyres for many years on Toyota 4x4s when I lived in Africa and used the sort of roads you refer to.

I have seen BFG's All terrains on a Transporter 4 motion in Iceland, looked ok, having run these tyres on Landrovers I can vouch that they are good tyres and can expect to get 80 to 90 thousand miles out of them fitted to Discovery's but beware in the wet on tarmac they can be a little slippy so drive to their limitations.

They may catch on the arch liner on full lock which can eventually be rubbed through exposing the wheel arch underneath. Just avoid full lock if you can.

Thank you cbdubs. I will check it out. The vehicle design will cater for snow chains, so I assume there should be sufficient clearance without snow chains.

Thank you WelshGas for the info. The inner tube will assist with repairs in areas where one cannot get a replacement tyre. This is a good idea, as these size tyres are not always readily available in all countries.
Is there any other reason why I should consider inner tubes?

Thank you WelshGas for the info. The inner tube will assist with repairs in areas where one cannot get a replacement tyre. This is a good idea, as these size tyres are not always readily available in all countries.
Is there any other reason why I should consider inner tubes?
Easier to repair if you get a puncture also even if the tyre is damaged then replacing the inner tube and some careful driving could get you back to civilisation. Mind you, you’ll need the right tyre tools to remove the tyre from the wheel, some hefty tyre levers.

Inner tubes are not so good for modern tyres and high speed driving but then I doubt if you would be doing much of that with those tyres fitted.

88042BCE-41A3-4350-8F08-3CA328E905AD.jpeg 5AEFEBC3-6DFA-4EBA-86E0-8C586B4F101A.jpeg
A Bus And Beyond fitted the BFgoodrich ATs 225/65/R17

Hi Blubus was thinking exactly the same thing . Have had Bfg on Landrovers and a Landcruiser Amazon . Amazing tyres . They didn’t make a 17 in tyre when I got my current winter tyres but see they do now . Have you found much of a penalty in fuel consumption ? What psi do you run them at and does a spare wheel fit in the holder ? Is the ride more comfortable ? I imagine it would be .

I could do with a set right now as just arrived on Lofoten Islands Norway and lots of snow . I’ve got Dunlop Winter Sport which are very good but I think a bit more rubber would give a softer ride especially as they are rebuilding the E6 the Artic Hyway and frequenly the road is unsurfaced .

To help with removal of your alloy wheels apply a clean the rust and apply a little copper brake grease .

View attachment 38330 View attachment 38331

Hi Blubus was thinking exactly the same thing . Have had Bfg on Landrovers and a Landcruiser Amazon . Amazing tyres . They didn’t make a 17 in tyre when I got my current winter tyres but see they do now . Have you found much of a penalty in fuel consumption ? What psi do you run them at and does a spare wheel fit in the holder ? Is the ride more comfortable ? I imagine it would be .

I could do with a set right now as just arrived on Lofoten Islands Norway and lots of snow . I’ve got Dunlop Winter Sport which are very good but I think a bit more rubber would give a softer ride especially as they are rebuilding the E6 the Artic Hyway and frequenly the road is unsurfaced .

To help with removal of your alloy wheels apply a clean the rust and apply a little copper brake grease .

I do not own these tyres but I am sure @aBusAndBeyond can help you.

View attachment 38330 View attachment 38331

Hi, I've found quite a hit on fuel consumption, it's dropped by about 6mpg on motorway trips. It's loads more comfortable though. Irons out a lot of the pot holes. I will let you know what psi we are running, I've written it in the van but I'm not with it at the minute. Also I still need to test fit the spare wheel before I order another, it's on the ever growing list of things to do.

Dumb question perhaps but assume fitting BFgoodrich ATs 225/65/R17 doesn't effect the warranty ?

1. these are summer tires , no 3 snowflakes , a problem during winter conditions in some countries..
2. I think snow chains will not fit , even for my 235/55 r17 michelin all climate tires it was difficult to find chains that fit without the chain rubbing against the car.

The 2018 Cali has 235/55 R17 tyres fitted as OE and the spare wheel fits in the well. The outer diameter is 690mm. The 235/65 R17 OD is 737mm and has to be deflated to fit in the spare wheel well. It is therefore necessary to travel with a small tyre compressor or foot pump to inflate it when needed as a spare wheel.

F35138CD-31E2-42DC-A203-5F146BF5A3B8.jpeg
A Bus And Beyond fitted the BFgoodrich ATs 225/65/R17

Hi Bus And Beyond . Thanks very much for your help . Just fitted 225/65/17 Bf Goodrich K02 . Very pleased much softer ride at front especially on pot holes and speed humps . Noise increase minimal and getting 33 mpg around town at 50 psi . Hard to say but I think about 2/3 mpg drop from 235 Vectors . Not tested in mud / snow yet but don’t think l need to worry as have had several Landrovers and Landcruiser Amazon with them over last 20 years probably done over 100k Miles in different vehicles / conditions . Don’t remember ever wearing them out !

1. these are summer tires , no 3 snowflakes , a problem during winter conditions in some countries..
2. I think snow chains will not fit , even for my 235/55 r17 michelin all climate tires it was difficult to find chains that fit without the chain rubbing against the car.

Bf Goodrich K02 now 4 season with snowflake / mountain symbol .

Do the BFG affect insurance...?
Can’t imagine they would be to happy with insuring you at the same rate when these tyres have poor performance in wet conditions...?
Which we have a lot of here in the UK.

Back